Lady of America / Fraud and scam

Lady of America is an elaborate scam. The sales projections are fake and the number of failed franchises is a lie. Be sure to attend their 'Discover Day', and you'll hear how people are signing up over one hundred members per month. You'll break-even in 3 months. And, the number of failed franchises is practically zero.

The truth is you might get 30 or even 40 members per month. But given the high royalty rate, high membership processing fee, and high rent, you will need over 500 members (maybe more) just to cover expenses. Be prepared to spend over a year trying to survive. Kiss your $200, 000 investment good-bye. Yes, $200, 000, not $100, 000 or $150, 000 like they told us. Hell, there own start-up equipment list costs more that their equipment estimate.

Franchises are dropping dead left and right, but they continue to sell franchises. What we have here is a used car salesman that sells cars that don't work. It is always the driver's fault that the car doesn't work. Regardless, they keep selling broken cars that no one can drive.

Would you rather resell a failed franchise for $100, 000 or collect royalties? Failed franchises are more lucrative. Just ask the owner, Roger Wittenberns, who lives in a $6.26 million house.

Don't buy a Lady of America franchise. Franchisees are not supposed to succeed. If you do decide to buy, ask for a bankruptcy form with your Franchise Agreement. You'll need it later.

Va

Comments

• Ol
      10th of May, 2009

I have had the worst experience with the one in Miami Lakes but I have no choice but to continue going since they have me stuck on the contract:
    1) When I fist signed up I explained that I do not live in Miami on a full time basis and that I needed a month to month. The young girl assured me it was not a contract and that it was month to month. Next thing I know they say it is for 36 months and there is no way out and Carmen, the manager actually said, "Well, you should have read the contract." I guess I should have...trusting the girl who clearly explained it as otherwise is not enough...
    2) I emailed Carmen three times and she only responded once to tell me she would be responding to my email. It has been over three months and she has yet to answer any of my emails.
    3) I was stopped at the door last month told that my monthly payment was not made. (I am on auto-pay out of my checking account.) I had 5 minutes to run to my trainer session so I told the girl at the front desk I would take care of it as soon as my workout was done. She refused me entry into the gym and said I could not go in until after I paid. I explained to her it must be some sort of mistake because I have more than enough in my account and it always comes out of there but that I had to hurry or miss my scheduled trainer appointment in the gym. She was rude and singlemindedly refused so I had to just go in and do my workout and tell her to investigate the issue and get back to me so I can help fix it. She was so rude and even threatened to call the police on me to get me out of the gym. She treated me like a common thief and I was so insulted.
    When I explained that I suspected that the problem was that Washington Mutual was changing over to Chase Manhattan and that they were sending new cards out she said, "No, because you are the only one with this problem and there are other Washington Mutual clients." She actually followed me to the treadmill to harass me, tell me this and then tell me she was calling the police. Wow.
    I called the home office and explained the situation.
    I also called my bank and IN FACT they said they had sent me a new debit card that showed Chase instead of WAMU. I went home and got the new card, which I did find in my mail box, and called it into the home office.
    4) I placed a complaint to Heidi in the home office, who was very empathetic and nice, and she said she would forward it on. She did and later followed up with me telling me Carmen said she would call me back. It has been over three weeks since Heidi told me that and still Carmen has not called me or answered my calls.

I AM STUCK THERE NOW...and I regret it... :(
    ...watch out.

• De
      13th of Aug, 2010

I feel your pain and so doo 100's of others both franchisees and customers. I was a franchisee and took a hit. Roger Wittenberns did not, when his jig was up he sold the corporation and reinvented the LWE under the name Butterfly Fitness only to defraud 100's more. There was not as much on the internet when I bought my franchise but I sure do hope people google names like Diversified Health and Fitness, Roger Wittenberns, Butterfly Health, Lady of America, Ladies Workout Express so they can start doing some true due dilligence before spending their life savings, mortgating their homes to keep a club running, or like you said they should be prepared to sign up, buy the franchise and then start filling out the bankruptcy forms! I've included a picture of Roger's lifestyle he is a true narcissist as he brags about this lifestyle...You would think that a person involved in health and fitness for a lifetime would actually be fit...Go to the Florida Powerboat website and look at the pics of he and his nasty A$$ wife Patty...They are oveweight slobs. That in itself should be enough to make you realize that the only reason he is involved n the fitness industry is as a scam artist.