LA Fitness / la fitness membership cancellation cheating!

I've read nightmare stories about canceling LA Fitness memberships. At first I could not understand why people were having such a hard time canceling their memberships.

Its as simple as filling out a form, placing it in an envelope, throwing a stamp on it and dropping it in the box. Approx. 3 weeks after doing so, I have not heard from LA Fitness and am getting the usual run around every time I call. "We have no record of your forms on file." (Exactly the line from the nightmare stories.) The member services rep says, "It usually takes about 2 weeks to get here and process."

Two weeks from NJ to CA via snail mail, and for someone to open it and push a few buttons in the computer to cancel auto billing. (Could this not be done over the phone? VIA fax?) The form doesn't even require a signature.

Theres no way to prove it because its been shipped standard USPS (for all I know it could have been lost/not processed yet/placed in the garbage). So last week, I re-send the forms via CERTIFIED Mail so I know when it gets there. To avoid being charged another month for an already canceled membership, I freeze my account over the phone. I figured if I'm going to lose money $10 is better than $34. Several days later, they call me up to update my credit card info but I refuse.

Later that day, I call to inquire the status of my account and its magically active. How about that? What a mess.

Va

Comments

24th of Mar, 2007

Instead of my 1 free personal trainer session, I ended signing a contract for 1 session a week for 6 months. I explained I did not want weekly sessions & I was told I could cancel at any time by calling them. I did call & cancel the next day. Two weeks later, a charge of $136 appeared on my bank statement. When I went to the gym, I was told I had to cancel by a certified letter. Then I was told I had been coming to the sessions, which I never did. The boy on the desk basically said I was lying. When I called the corporate office, the female on the phone stated there was nothing that could be done. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told there wasn't a supervisor who talks to members. I asked repeatedly to speak to a manager or supervisor & the female refused. I then cancelled my membership.

• Er
      27th of Mar, 2007

Sounds like a typical la fitness nightmare experience. This company obviously has no morals, ethics, or integrity and will commit fraud to get your money. The attorney general needs to shut them down.

• Au
      14th of May, 2007

This is the worst company ever - I was cheated into the same "year" contract for training when I went to my free session - when I tried to cancel before my first month was up (which it says on their bogus contract that they say you signed that you can do) they do not return your phone calls. This wouldn't be a problem if you could call them but alas, they say they have no phone number to give out!!!

• Lo
      15th of May, 2007

I too had a membership to LA fitness for about a year. I changed jobs and was no wear near a LA fitness Gym. I tried to print the cancellation form and my computer would not take the format, i tried 3 friends computers and it was the same thing. I contacted an La Fitness to ask what would be the best way to resolve the problem or if they could print the slip for me. They refused to print the slip for me and told me to call customer service, they refused to cancel for me over the phone or send me a slip from their home offices. I tried for 3 months between Emails (which i only received pre-written answers) mail, phone i couldn't get anywhere. Finally I had to close my checking account to get them to contact me. Then i got a woman who couldn't get any ruder. She just kept saying i owed them $78.00 for the rest of my membership for the year and that "this charge isnt going to go away so you might as well pay it" I informed her i did everything specified in the contract to cancel and try and cancel, they told me they never received any of my postal mail but then in the same breath starts reading me back the emails i sent requesting cancellation, a form to cancel and any home office help i could receive. I tore into her about company ethics & calling the BBB. Still wouldn't budge on the fact i owed them money and they weren't going away. After about 4 months of calls and letters i finally sent them a letter about harassment and contacting my lawyer with proof of their troubled business practices... I never heard from them again.

• Br
      18th of May, 2007

I've had the exact same problem. I stopped into the LA fitness in January to cancel my account. They told me i had to send in a form to cancel. I filled out the form and mailed it by February. It is now May and I am still getting charged. I called the LA fitness again to see why i was being charged and they have no record of any cancellation form. They were going to have 'corporate' call me back about the problem. So far, nothing.

• Vi
      22nd of May, 2007

LA fitness is the worst thing that ever happened to me. I would have bought a freaking gym... Its less than 3 weeks that i signed up and my card has been charged $807.00 and i cannot do anything!!! Can i file a suit? Am gonna do whatever it takes to kick their ###!!!

Its game on now... Freakin unethical company of all times!!!

• As
      4th of Jun, 2007

I still haven't been able to cancel L.A. Fitness. I get the same run a round about how they never have received my cancellation form. I canceled the credit card they were using but still claim I owe them money even though my membership has long been canceled. The funny thing is I work for 24 hour fitness now in the kids club and get a free membership. I hope we don't put people through this much trouble.

• Ke
      21st of Jun, 2007

Someone should start a class action suit against these guys, for harasment and pain and suffering a lone maybe fraudulent business practices. My wife and I have been fighting around with them for at least a month or two. Get this we canceled my wife's membership, my sons membership and mine all at the same time, all on the same day, in writing as per the contract and somehow mine stayed open. They shut my wife's down and my son's account.

So my account (which for some reason didn't get closed) has been accruing membership dues and late fees because they didn't close it. So then we started getting phone calls regarding my account (we stopped the autodraft from our checking account by signing a form with our bank (refusing them access to our account, which I am sure really pissed them off). So we have been getting phone calls with them trying to verify our information so that they can get their money and we have flat out refused to give them a penny. It is companies like this that are the reasons for forums like this, consumer reports and the better business bureau. I WILL NEVER join or recommend someone join LA Fitness EVER... I would just as likely invite a terrorist into my home.

1st of Oct, 2007

Sounds like these guys didn't read there agreements when they signed them. Every single thing they are complaining about was written and explained to me in it. As far as cancelling you can even do that on the website, so you don't have to mail a letter. LEARN TO READ PEOPLE......Don't act like you know if you sign anything without reading......NOT SMART

• Km
      21st of Oct, 2007

Hmm, maybe the company should post its contract to its website, along with an easily accessible customer service line. Maybe the company should allow people to cancel memberships in-store. I wonder what the incentive is to force people to cancel by letter only. Hmm ... makes me wonder.

I sent in my cancellation letter months ago, only to be told that it would take some time to show up as cancelled. Months later, sure enough, after repeated phone calls, I am still getting the run around, only to find that they still won't refund me all that is owed. Twice I gave them my phone number, while being told I would get a call back ... nobody called back. Twice I was told that my membership was cancelled, while they still charged me! Now, I have given them my number again, for "corporate" to call me ... of course, I am still waiting. I recommend to anyone reading this who has dealt or is dealing with these people ...

Contact the --- BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU --- WITH A FULL COMPLAINT ...

and anytime you have ANY CONTACT WITH LA FITNESS employees, document it, or better yet, only communicate with these people by email. The only way some companies respond is by people holding a mirror up to their face OVER AND OVER again.

• Mi
      22nd of Oct, 2007

I filed a small claims action against them and found they didn't have an active business license in Anaheim. I am checking now to see if their company L.A. Fitness International LLC is registered in CA.
    They deducted money from my account without permission for personal training. We are looking at a Class Action suit.

• Th
      12th of Dec, 2007

If you went into the club to sign-up then go into the club and cancel. I have always found that businesses that do the friendly when u sign up and the hide from ya when u cnx, hate to see u walk in the club to do ur cnx in person. This is because you are now face to face and they cant use the mail excuses, but be sure to keep ur resolve.
    So do urself a favor, first of all go in and make sure it happens and second of all join a club that doesnt use these practices by asking the questions apon signing up. Big clubs try to impress u with the tour and wow you past the contract or agreement. Alway read what u sign.

Take on the responsibility read, study, and listen.

• Ra
      28th of Jan, 2008

I requested to cancel both my membership and my wife’s on 12/20/2007 (which is more than 30 days prior to my next billing date according to my contract).
    I send cancellation forms for EACH of us in the SAME envelope. However, only my membership was cancelled and LA fitness continued charging us for my wife’s membership ($29.99/month) and denies receiving her cancellation form.
    I just filed a complaint with BBB and the FTC, and on my way to file one with Texas DA. I also have a prepaid legal service, so I'm having a lawyer contact them. I'll keep you guys updated.

• Kr
      28th of Jan, 2008

I paid for (what i was told) was a three year membership for $630. Tenth months into the membership, i received a call telling me that my membership will expire in two months and would i want to keep my membership active. I was shocked and have gone rounds and rounds with the club, the corporate office, and a number of customer service people. It looks like I'm on my way to getting screwed. So add me to the list of suckers that joined LA Fitness. If there is a class action suit, i will be first in line. Arent there any attorneys who would take this on contingency?

It would be a real shame if someone dump a bag of sand into the hot tub or accidentally put a filled plastic water bottle on the sauna and watched it melt. Remember that vandalism is wrong. But if i saw someone doing that, i would have a hard time telling the people at the club.

• Ra
      11th of Feb, 2008

It's me again!

My lawyer sent them a letter stating the facts and threatening of having a legal suit. Only 4 days later, I received an e-mail from LA fitness that a refund to my accunt is approved and I should be seeing an amount of $29.99 credited back to my credit card within 5 days.

However, I still didn't get an official e-mail stating that the membership is cancelled. I'll be asking for that.

Will keep you updated!

• Ka
      3rd of Jul, 2008

I also cancelled LA Fitness without a hitch, only because I had read of the problems other people had encountered with them. The direct phone number is 210-202-6823. I informed the girl I spoke with that I was very concerned with the cancellation process secondary to all of the bad reviews I had read. Also informed her I would follow up again in one week regarded the matter. She must have taken me to heart as the cancellation went through before the week was over. If it hadn't, I was planning on canceling my credit card, then let LA Fitness wait for me for the payment, instead of me waiting for them. Good Luck.

• Ri
      9th of Jul, 2008

Exactly the same thing is happening to me. I sent the cancellation via regular mail and they claim they never received it. I told them to be sure to note in their computer that I am quitting and am sending certifified this time, and making a copy of the damn letter.

I called both the LA office and the office in my state. I will be following up every week to make sure it happens this time. Obviously, any time a letter goes there uncertified, they claim they don't get it. That way they are raking in 1-2 extra months of income from customers. I just knew it didn't happen to me alone--and lo and behold I get this site on my first search.

Stay away from these guys--they are BAD NEWS.

• Pr
      6th of Aug, 2008

The exact same thing happened to me.

I joined LA fitness December 07 and had my free personal training session where that idiot of trainer told me to lose 10-20 pounds...Im 5'8" tall and 125 pounds...WTF!
    I yelled at him and told him that I will never come back again, because one of my best friends nearly died because of an eating disorder.

So, the next day they called me to ask if I was alright and I said no and that I wanted to cancel the membership immediately.After trying to convince me to stay they finally agreed to send me the form. I never received anything, so I called them and they said I should go online. I did, but i didn't wanna set up an account so I called them again and the lady told me that the problem will be solved. they will call me back.
    because I was graduating I didn't have the time to follow up with them.

when I canceled in MAY(!!!) my Swiss credit card they started calling me non stop. then I realized that they have been using my card all the time, because I was so stupid to slide my card once over there!Since then I was sent from one place to the other and apparently all their printers are out of order...sure, but they still can print out applications!!!

I'm working for a PR guy and he discovered in 1989 a major scam with the parking meters in LA where the city had to pay over 15 million dollars back to the people that got parking tickets at manipulated parking meters. He is very well connected and we are going to the media now. If you want to be part of it let me know.I'm trying to collect as many angry people as possible!

14th of Aug, 2008

I NEED VALID, VERIFIABLE COMPLAINTS AGAINST L.A. FITNESS. I am looking into the possibility of a class-action suit against LA Fitness for fraudulent business practices.

I had a one-year contract for personal training, which rolled over into a month-to-month. That was fine. I am happy with their training and their staff at Body of Change. However, I wrote a letter to cancel on July 10, 2008. It never occurred to me that I should send it certified/return receipt as it was going directly to a P.O. box. On August 13, 2008 (yesterday), I noticed that my bank account had again been debited $379 for personal training. I called my bank to reverse it. They wouldn't do it, since it had already posted.

I called LA Fitness Crporate, in Irvine. Upon hearing my explanation, I was asked whether I had included my "bar code" in my letter (you know, the number on your key fob that they scan). I said no. She said, "Well, then we wouldn't have known what to do with the letter. I told her that I had printed my entire name and the branch in which I was a member and that there would be absolutely no reason for them to "not know what to do with the letter."

It was then that she changed her tune (Debra was her name, by the way) and informed me that they had no such letter on file as having been received. I asked to speak with a supervisor. Debra told me that she was a supervisor. She then proceeded to cancel my membership over the telephone, which LA Fitness claims they will not do. But she did it because they had already taken hold of an extra month's dues and she knew that I would send another letter, certified this time, and that they would NOT be getting any more of my money so she may as well take the cancelation over the phone.

After all of the similar complaints I have read online from others, I have arrived at the opinion that this is a regular business practice of LA Fitness. If you don't send a CERTIFIED letter to cancel your membership, they simply deny having received the letter and help themselves to another month's dues.

I have contacted an attorney, who told me that I need a good number of people with VALID, VERIFIABLE COMPLAINTS in order for a class action to be filed. Most of the time, people with complaints simply didn't read the contract. If you have a valid, verifiable complaint and are interested in seeing legal action taken against LA Fitness for basically LYING TO YOU, please post a comment with your information. You don't have to become part of it if you don't want to, but we need your story in order to commence.

IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COME FORWARD TO WHOM LA FITNESS HAS CLAIMED THEIR USPS LETTER WAS "NEVER RECEIVED, " WE HAVE A CHANCE. IT IS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE THAT LA FITNESS NEVER RECEIVES USPS MAIL TO THEIR POST OFFICE BOX!!!

Please help me make this uncaring conglomerate get its just desserts and stop lying to and victimizing its members!!!

28th of Aug, 2008

I am fed up with them at this moment. My husband had lost his job in April 2008 so we went to the LA Fitness where we joined the next month which was June. We went at the time in McDonough Ga to cancel our membership. They gave us papers with a bar code on them that we were told to sign and write a letter telling why we were canceling our membership. We came home and did as we were instructed and mailed it in to them the same way we were told to do, reg. old fashioned mail. We also made sure that we were paid up before mailing this in. The next month we still had a payment come out of our account! We went back up to the LA Fitness and my husband used his card to get in so he could make sure he got everything out of his locker. They would not let him past the desk without using his card to get past. This was July 12th 2008, we requested papers again to cancel our membership. We went home and did the whole process again! We mailed them out that next day which was July 13th 2008. They call me AT LEAST 4 times a day trying to get us to pay them for July, Aug., and Sept. We canceled the credit card that they has access to and that is why they are calling the house all day. I just talked to a manager on the phone and explained to her what all has happened and that we did exactly what the contract said to do about canceling. All they can tell me is that I should have mailed it certified and I need to get paid up. They also said that if I pay half of one payment right now they will cancel our membership for good. CATCH: I have to do it today because there are 2 payments pending. I told her that the credit card is no longer active, that we have canceled that credit card when they would not stop taking money out of it and when my husband lost his job. She said "I understand but you still have to pay." I don't know what else to do with these people.