LA Fitness / unauthorized charges

I signed up for LA Fitness in Downey, California and the salesperson never disclosed to me the cancellation process and the '20 day' processing time it takes to cancel. The credit card they had on file was canceled so they charged me 29.99 plus 5.00 because the could not bill the card. In order to cancel I had to physically go and get a cancellation form with a bar code and request cancellation in writing. The girl at the Hemet location said once I paid the 29.99 plus the 5.00 fee it would be canceled.

I gave her a new credit card number for the sole purpose of paying this charge because they said if I didn't pay I would continue to get billed. The girl said this would be the last charge. A week later LA Fitness charged my card $29.99 again. I never authorized my card to be used for future charges. I consider this a fradulent charge. When I called the Hemet location the girl I spoke to said that it takes 20 days for cancellation to process. What a rip off.

Comments

Va
  21st of Oct, 2008

I canceled out my club membership and my debit card is continuing to be charged for services I no longer receive. The accounts were frozen and canceled in March, I have not visited the club since then. I was charged for training and club membership freeze. Now in October I was charged $85.37 from my debit card. I visited the club and was told my account is active, but frozen for membership, open for training. I would like to cancel my membership and my money refunded for October 2008. Please help me to not be charged anymore money from my bank account.

Na
  26th of Mar, 2009

I worked next door to their temporary sales office before the Lacey L A Fitness (close by) was built. Lots of their sales folks were always telling me to join now (early - before it's even built) to save and you can cancel anytime you want before it opens. I finally gave in and paid a membership fee and gave them my Visa # to charge my monthly dues to once the fitness center opened and I started using it.

They said my membership fee would be refunded in full and my credit card wouldn't even be charged if I wanted to cancel before it opened. Well, our company ended up moving away before the club opened. The sales folks knew that I only joined because it was gonna be so close to my work, but when I found out my company was moving and wanted to cancel, no one there knew how to take care of it, so they said to come in when their boss was there (Brad) and he could do it. He wasn't there a lot, but I knew who he was.

Brad and I spoke about it a lot and he said he'd have to find out more about it. He said his sales people shouldn't have told me that but he'd see what he could do. I went to their website too to cancel, so I thought it was done. Then, when charges started showing up on my Visa, (my company had moved by then) I called him and was told he'd take care of it.

Then the next month, more charges and no credits. I called again, but this time the new club had opened and I got an employee there and explained my dilemma. He said he'd have Brad call me. Sometime later that week he called me and was really really sorry, but said he'd get to the bottom of it. This went on a few more times and I got busy with other things.

I just noticed recently that LA Fitness is still charging dues to my credit card!! From looking at [redacted], they are pretty good at this and it is a common theme in most every report! When is someone going to do something about these people?? Am I going to have to call them every month for the rest of my life?? Somebody please help here! This is ridiculous and I and several others want their money back! What should I do?? Thanks!

Da
  9th of May, 2009

from a former employee :

just cancel your credid card and get a new one... they train their employees to say that if u are behind your payments they will turn in to collections! BS!!! its more expensive for them to hire a collection company so they wont do it! thats the only way to get out your payments, believe me noone will care to help u!
good luck

Du
  22nd of Jan, 2011

I agree with all of the complaints listed about LA Fitness Training and Unauthrized Charges.
I had entered a training contract for a year. I was approached in Mid Sept about a " special promotion" . This particular promotion would reduce my training cost from 524/month to 398/month. The training manager, called me at 930 pm. I informed him that although it was a good deal and I would come to the gym and review the contract during more routine business hours. Anyway I went to the gym 5 days later and reviewed the contract which was in writing ( because the computers were down) it would reduce my cost to $ 398 per month for 6 months. I asked what would happen to my current contract. He stated that my current account would be "frozen" and he validated in writing, that origination fees, etc were wavied given " I was a good customer" ...
Anyway, I showed up for training and I was told I had no training sessions left. I was told it would have to be a manual sign in etc. ( little did I know they were going to charge me individually for my training sessions) I talked to the " Training manager" he stated it was just protocol while my " new promotion " took over...Well due to business I was out of town for 2 months and had not reviewed my Credit card statement...( yeah my fault)... However, the credit card company called and asked my why had the charges from LA fitness increased? I did not know what the risk consultant was talking about...Anyway LA fitness was charging me for both contracts, no freeze had taken place. Although I had requested a copy of the new contract the day I signed it ( I was told the computers are down, and the copier was conviently broken...I tried after that but got several excuses.. etc...) I am now being charged 1050 dollars a month for the past three months...More over all of those manuel sign in they charged me individually...I tried to talk with the manager of training and he stated from their perspective all of the charges were correct and my cc company had made a mistake... Moreover, he refused to give me an itemized billing statement, a copy of my contracts on file or even documentation of the freezing... I have never been so poorly treated...I am so upset with myself...I did manage to get a copy of the 2nd contract from the front desk clerk who works mornings...( she did not know me) Get this the contract on file is for 11 months not 6 months and there is a signature on this contract thats not even mine. The origination date is 9/23 and I did not even sign the contract until 9/28. This is fraud. I feel apprehensive about even going into the gym. I am filing a complaint with the State Attorney's office for fraud. I have read many complaints and my question is why haven't a class action law suit been filed against LA fitness????
Duped LA Fitness Customer