LA Fitness / confessions of a former la fitness employee

Former LA Fitness Employee:

After reading the numerous complaints on this board I feel the need to coroborate many of the issues facing LA Fitness. I want to first ofer my "inside" details of how LA Fitness operates its business. Let's begin with mangement or the lack of.

LA Fitness does not offer any formal training nor does it provide continuing education in the crucial area of managing personnel. LA Fitness also uses a very narrow metric for promotion within its manager ranks. This simple metric used is “sales” if you’re a great salesman you get promoted. That is it! Also, LA Fitness draws heavily from an employment pool lacking in maturity. Many of their "GM's" are simply children doing the work an adult should be doing. But paying adults appropriately would cut into Mr Welch building his new mutli million dollar house in Malibu California. Yep, its the truth folks. Same Wall Street menatality at LA Fitness.

As a customer, please don't put your health or your money in the hands of people who do not care about you after you've provided them a credit/debit card or check. Not to mention many of the people selling memebrships or personal training are not properly trained or educated to give anyone advice related to health and fitness. Also, these "agreements" that management likes to call are "contracts" don't be duped into their snake oil salesman type selling. Once you've swiped your card you're pretty much history regarding any value added customer service.

Another issue facing LA Fitness is their high turnover. I'm sure many of you have seen this at the clubs you frequent. How many times have you had a differnet trainer over the course of several months? If you're the average LA Fitness customer odds are you are likely to have 3-5 trainers during the course of your "contract." Why is this? Simply put, LA Fitness doesn't give two red cents about its employees. That coupled with there "creative" ways they have employees "punch in" for compensation has always been a source of confussion for its employees. Just ask an employee to explain it you. They're always looking for a way to screw their employees to save a few cents while their poor cusotmer service issue is left like a festering sore. Another tid bit worth mentioning, LA Fitness management would prefer the trainer not to call his/her clients if they are out sick. Why?????? Because some district manager gets a nice cut from the number of people who have walked through the door. Disgusting, isn't it?!?! So, they would rather a scheduled client come through the door angry than to have been notified by the trainer.

All things considered, I could not, would not recommend LA Fitness as a place for employment. Nor could I recommend it as a service to purchase. And all the previous complaints I've read are true. The stories I have heard and witneesed are dispicable on all levels of business. And to Mr Welch of LA Fitness, I hope the home you're building is close to a cliff! You F N SOB!!!

Ja
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Un
      1st of Oct, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

nicole... you're a gm. You may be treated well. Try being a personal trainer and making only 6 dollars on a 30-40 dollar 30 minute personal training session. No benefits, no insurance. no disability...they don't care about their employees at all!!

• La
      18th of Nov, 2009

Gross Place to work, Operations is overworked, Sales is full of ###, the trainers have overweight individuals doing lunges on a step and step ups. They have the same exercises for somewhat conditioned people too. Cutting the aerobic coordinators and making the operations cover the classes. There will be pleanty missed classes. It is not worth working here. They are a sinking ship. They have no regard for anyone. Customer Service is bad and just getting worse!!!

• Ta
      14th of Nov, 2009
    LA Fitness - Continuing to take money after cancellation
    LA Fitness

I started sending written requests of cancellation in July 2009, as the contract specifies.

After SIX letters, they are still taking money out of my account, in November.

• Ba
      5th of Dec, 2009

I work for LA part time as PT! Agree 100%
    Customer service, employee care and wages are SUCKS! As a fitness Pro I would not realy care, what is going on for 7.50 per session! KIDS are doing men job. They dont have ANY clue how to train and any care about clients!
    To get a job at LA is 6 hrs certification for PT or sales! That is a joke! What average person learn in 6 hrs abt kinseology or anatomy?! NONE.
    *It is so close to my house and it is cheap!* Does not worth a penny paid! Will regress and injur with improper personal training!

• 10
      16th of May, 2010

I can't comp;ain yet. I will need to cancel my membership and personal trainer contract due to the economy and how our income has decreased since we became members.

Overall I am pleased with my results. In 4 months I've lost 12 pounds, I feel stronger, not as much pain in the knees and shoulder, and the other benefit, better sex.

I am moving my membership to another club, more than half the price for the membership. The personal trainers costs are close to the same at all of the clubs.

So, I guess the deciding factor is how they handle my cancelation.

• Sm
      18th of Jun, 2011

Ive worked for LA Fit for 4 years... truth in both sides guys. It depends what club or employees you have experienced. As far as sales being shady or arrogant... welcome to a common characteristic of ANY sales employee, not LA Fitness sales specifically. Kids club employee... at my gym EVERY front desk and kids club staff is CPR certified if they work a shift alone, it is company policy to have at least 1 CPR/AED certified staff member to be in the building at all times and toys are sterilized after EVERY shift at my location... sounds like a crappy operations manager, not a crappy company.
    For interested customers... just remember to read anything you sign. Fitness memberships are month to month and easy to cancel without further billing, IF you do it the right way, so read what you sign, dont believe what somebody you dont know tells you... big mistake.
    For interested employees... They'll give you a pay check but no commitment to you or your future. Kids club, training, operations... all good side jobs, but no career. Working operations I easily average $12-$15/ hr, but its part time.
    There is good and bad to it all.

• Ti
      18th of Jan, 2017

Absolutely true, in La Fitness there are so many rude unprofessional Activities directors for Gr.exrcise department with leader in CA Lean Kleine, non stop hiring extremely rude unprofessional Regional Directors one by one-East Coast Lean Kleine, who creates stories, gossips etc, no one responsible to fire her from her position, she does what she wants, chaos absolute chaos.Particularly Virginia branches, instead of hard work and appreciation and gratitude for subbing classes they woul rudely screem call, bother, very, very rude or create untruthful stories .Sad very sad to see this type of operation still in business!Hopefully with new Law and rules, there will be fired many and many of employees of these VA gyms.

• Fo
      26th of Jan, 2017

@Tiktik I would have to agree with your comment.

• Nk
      6th of May, 2009

Wow i thought i was the only one to feel this way about the company.

• My
      18th of Aug, 2009

I agree what kind of manager is at this gym. What give the manager the right to go throught her cell phone. I can'nt believe someone would do this. I hope there's something she can do towards this person.

• Bi
      15th of Sep, 2009

I Currently work at LAF and I agree 100% with what you have said. In fact I believe you were rather light on the criticism of LAF, is operations, and treatment of employees and members.

• Co
      29th of Oct, 2009

I am really big on Customer Service and work as well; during my sign up the sales rep guy who took care of us was arrogant and prejudice, he really was having hard time with us trying to be as nice a possible. What's even worse he refuse to recognize us when he passes by. It's not even as clean, I have hard time going to the bathroom which is always dirty. One of my friend was in process to applying a few months back, and instead of her number being privately held by the managers or whoever was responsible of hiring that day, same day an employee calls her back looking for some stranger, how professional is that?? Now I regret having membership with them instead of 24 hour at least who have adults and do better customer service. I am glade Q club went out, they took $50 bucks out of my account when I was a teenager when they were trying to just give me pass for a week without a charge, never got the week pass and lost money.

• Rb
      13th of May, 2010

all these reviews are true. I am still working at LA Fitness after taking the job in Operations because I didnt want to sit on unemployment. Now i realize I gave up just as much money on UI as I am making working 40hrs a week with no room for advancement

27th of Jun, 2010

Origonal post absolutley true. I was an employee for 4 years, started young and didn't know any better. BTW I believe Nicole Ybarrondo was soon terminated after her post? Call her and ask why. She may have also forgot how she had a broken leg and her VP Ben Venezuala harrassed her to come to some big greaseball meeting the next day. I was a GM, and let me tell you, it doesn't matter how high up you get, you'll always be treated like [censor]. "Worked like dogs, but paid like kings" is Luis Welch's motto. This horrible business is the responsibility of its owners, Luis Welch, the voice of the company, a greedy heartless sob, his wife Michu Welch, who runs the operations and Facilities, another dark hearted women who gets off cussing a storm at her employees and firing them on will, and chin yei, who talks a little, but hasn't much to do with his employees, although he pretends to. All of the Executives were recently demoted then later quit, even guys that have been with the company 20 years. Warning: Dont become a member, Dont become an employee, you will undoubtedly regret it.

• La
      2nd of Jan, 2011

These posts are great! As a previous employee at LA Fitness (3 years), I couldn't agree more with the original post. This place was run like a circus side show! I worked up the corporate ladder to General Manager only to realize that my hard work would never pay off. Heavy turnover is a testament to how much Mr. Welsh cares about his employees! I've been speaking with several ex-employees about all the funny/horrible things that went on behind the scenes and I'm currently working on a sitcom (with financial backing). If you want to contribute, tell me about the poor service you received or perhaps a funny story about your employment at LA Fitness! Send me an email! Once I get enough material for the first 6 episodes, we may be watching it on tv ( in the near future) Lafit215@gmail.com

• Ow
      11th of Jun, 2011

Good for them. Fox News is not a real news channel.

• Ha
      1st of Mar, 2014

angrytiger : I guess the other couple million members, former members, employees and former employees (including former managers, gms, district gms, VP, etc) are also full of ### huh?! get real. this wouldnt be a topic if it werent true. if your head werent so far up your ###, you would see it also. you're obviously not observant. laf has been going down hill since 2002. they've been sued multiple times. dont you remember the potential class action law suit against laf when they went back on their word when they said they would honor former bally total fitness members contract? thousands upon thousands of complaints on the internet and pick out one person and call him a liar! in that case, youre going to have to call the other millions of people liars too. from the tone and context of your post, I would say you're a 13 year old trapped in a 40 year old body. good lord woman, read a book (book of value and not some brain washing magazine). youre in no way to give even the most simple minded person any lectures. get out of the tan booth before you fry the rest of your brain cells.

• Kk
      30th of Mar, 2010
    LA Fitness - cancelled Fox news
    LA fitness

I enjoy watching fox news while I work out but LA Fitness has stoped airing Fox and only allows CNN to be shown and I for one will be getting my workouts from anouther gym from now on and hope others will follow suit.

• Te
    LA Fitness - Personal training set-up and cancellation of membership
    LA Fitness
    Texas

My father was tricked into signing a one year contract with LA Fitness. He is quite old and has a serious heart condition. The personal trainer at LA Fitness charged his credit card for unwanted services, such as personal training sessions which he cannot handle because he is diabetic and has a weak heart. We tried to cancel his membership by complaining to the manager and all he said was that this situation is like buying a car and even if you do not use the car you will still be charged for it. His explanation was totally absurd. The manager did not apologize for his employee's deception. My father did not want these services in the first place. Right now we are pursuing legal action to get our money back.

• Sp
      29th of Aug, 2016
    LA Fitness - No customer support!
    La Fitness
    Los Angeles
    California

I started with LA Fitness as a regular gym member. About early August 2010, I decided to sign up with a personal trainer. Their strong-arm type sales tactics coerced me into getting a 12 month term with 3 appointments per week even though I clearly stated that I was not a very athletic person and such a commitment was likely to be too much. They "assured" me that we were flexible with training, contracts, etc.

At the start of the second month, they have been completely unresponsive in scheduling training, trainer being late, and charging me for sessions that I had canceled.

I had to change my entire work schedule to simply go to the gym. I went a few days later to the gym and spoke with the manager. I politely explained the situation and asked how I could go about canceling my contract. I was told there was none and I was on the hook for the entire amount; about $3k. At that point, I was upset and let her know that I would be filing a complaint. Her reaction was jaw dropping after she stated, "I don't care what you do, it’s not my problem."

Wait, it gets worse. I have been still struggling to go to these unavailable sessions at which point my credit card could not be billed. I told them that I would pay for the invoice due once I arrived next time at the gym. Since then, they have literally been hounding me every day to pay the bill. Not only that, they are threatening at various levels to report me to collections and other systems.

I just want to be done with them.

• Co
    La Fitness, Montery Park, Ca - Handing of Staff
    La Fitness
    California

Manager would call one of her staff useless, I would hear her call her this many times. Why would a manager regard her staff members in such a way. The poor girl you could see she wanted to cry, but what could she do. Then one day I saw them in a argument, the manager had gone through the same girls phone and had read her text messages. What kind of person does this. As of a week ago I haven't seen that poor girl. She was always so helpful and pleasant. Where do they get these mangers is there no training. Why do we paid for a service. And see behavior like this in a public place.