Kmart Stores / shoes

I purchased shoes and dud not wear them right away. After wearing for 10 days, the heel began to disintegrate leaving a hole to my foot on the side of the heel.
Store would not allow an exchange because it was over 30 days. I do not understand if a durable good is obviously defective, by no fault of the buyer, why you will not stand behind product and issue a refund.

Fr
Oct 30, 2018

Comments

• Km
      Oct 30, 2018

They can't simply go on your word that you didn't immediately start wearing the shoes the day you bought them. 30 days is a reasonable amount of time for someone to find out if the item they purchased is defective. If I bought a $5, 000 TV in 2008 and didn't take it out of the box till 2018, then I wouldn't expect Kmart to take my word that I never used the tv and was broken when I bought it 10 years ago. Anyways regardless as to whether or not they were initially defective this comes down to a contract issue. When you buy something from a retail store you are given a receipt which is a contract, and the contract basically reads return are only permitted within 30 days, and only if you have a receipt and the item is in the original package. Granted 30 days is less then most retailers, historically the defective rate of merchandise in any one retailer is only 5%, and of that 5% only 10% of these defects are substantial enough for customers to worry about returning them, so whether its 30 days or 90 days the permitted return period wouldn't influence where I shop especially since I'm sure I'd know within a week if the item I bought is defective