The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

Kitchen Aid Microwave / smoke/interior fire

1 CA, United States Review updated:

We had purchsed 4 Kitchen Aid microwaves (Model KCMS1555RSS-1) in Feb. 06. Approximately, 6 mo. ago, one of the units malfunctioned (Serial # FGS3006428), in the off mode- the unit remained on and started smoking. The light and turn-table inside remained on while unit smoked/caught fire. We had to unplug machine. Last week, a second unit(FGS3006313) did the same thing. I called Kitchen Aid to report defect unit and they sent tech. to diagnosis problem. He said the transformer had caught fire. He noted he never seen that happen before and in his opinion thought the motherboard (computer) has caused this to happen. I just got off phone with Kitchen Aid and they seem uninterested in the safety hazard these machines may cause. I spoke with Jim Cuhn, Safety Lead at Kitchen Aid/Whirlpool. Kitchen Aid has refused to stand behind their product (denied request to further invetigate/repair our machines) and I am concerned that other uses of this model may experience fire due to this product.

Sort by: UpDate | Rating

Comments

Ly
  22nd of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree 0 Votes

I have the same model but with RSS 2 and just enjoyed white billowing smoke coming out of my cabinet. Called the fire department because I wasn't sure if the microwave had caught fire in the back where it sets in a cabinet under counter. They use a heat imagining and we took the trim kit off and removed the unit to the patio. No damage to the plug or outlet. The breaker did not trip I ran out and turned it off.

This unit was manufactured in July 2007 and was purchased by the contractor builder in Dec 2007. I moved in August 2008. When I came back from vacation after Christmas the housesitter left me a message that the microwave would not go off so she just left the door open on the unit. I turned off the breaker and let it sit for a couple of hours, flipped it back on and all was fine for about 2 days. Then as I am heating up something I hear what sounds like arcing(but nothing in side was arcing) and I got two small dots in the timer window. Again the machine would not stop operation with the cancel button so I popped the door open and again went out and flipped the breaker. Again the breaker was not tripped(a 20 amp) I later flipped the breaker on and called the contractor who came by and said all seemed to be fine and if something happened again to leave it until someone could come service it. Last night I used the defrost setting and heated veggies and everything seemed fine .I heated up a plastic container of ice cream syrup and that's when things got dicey. The smell of burning rubber or hot wires permiated the kitchen and I figured I had ruined the sauce, the container was really hot after 15 seconds but it did not smell. This morning things still smelled so I cleaned out the interior and tried to heat up a cup of hot water and that 's when the white/grey smoke started billowing out of the self vent trim kit. Repair is to come tomorrow afternoon. I have already told Kitchenaid I will not accept the unit to be repaired. Really not looking forward to my kitchen going up in flames. We will see what kind of service I get tomorrow from A & E.

Post your comment

     

Reply to

close
Send