Kenmore Elite Convection Oven — fire caused by burners going on when oven turned on
Kenmore Elite Electric Self Cleaning Oven - Model [protected]
On Sunday, January 25, we turned our oven on to convection roast to cook some chicken wings. I had a wooden cutting board on top of the cooktop on the quick heating element. About 15 minutes in, I noticed that there was smoke coming from under the wooden cutting board. The quick heating element on the left had turned on automatically and the cutting board had caught on fire. I turned off the oven and the burner turned off.
To show my husband the issue...I then turned the oven back on but on convection bake vs convection roast and the 2 burners on the front went on. I then turned off the oven completely and the 2 burner stayed on. We had to turn off the breaker in the basement to turn the oven off.
If I had not been in the room (we live in a 2 story), we would have had a complete disaster in our home.
I called Sears and they said it was out of warranty (bought Sept 2, 2009) and that it would be charged service call.
Other relevant history - in 2010 we had Sears come out because the lights were coming on in the indicators for all burners and we were worried about this. At this time they replaced the control panel and the service tech told us that this was a known problem and we should have it replaced each time it happens. We called Sears again in December 2014 and told them we were having the same lighting issue and was told it was out of warranty and that we would have to pay even though we had already had this panel replaced.
Less than 1 month after calling them stating the control panel was having issues, we had this fire!
I will never buy a Kenmore product again - I will never step foot in a Sears store again
More Kenmore Elite Convection Oven Complaints & Reviews
- Kenmore Oven - beware! don't burn your house! 
- Kenmore / Power Miser - sears's faulty product 
- Kenmore Refrigerator - kenmore refrigerator causes house fire 
- Kenmore Elite Trio Refrigerator - no cold air in freezer 
- Kenmore Elite Dishwasher - do not buy kenmore products! 
- Kenmore - kenmore elite model 795.74043.412
- Kenmore Vacuum Cleaner - vacuum keep shrading the belt
- Kenmore - discoloration between burner and stove top! 
- Kenmore/Whirpool Refrigerator - liner getting cracked in less then 2 years
- Kenmore Whispertone Canister - hose replace