Kay Jewelers / they are the worst

I went to Kay's to buy a pair of small diamond stud earrings and the salesman there was sooooo pushy. He tried to get me to buy larger diamond when I kept telling him no.

Well, I purchased earrings and then changed my mind and returned them to the store within their specified return policy. I was there for an hour as the incompetent salesperson tested the diamond. She then told me that I would have to come back when a manager was there because there tester was not working. I do not live close to the store and this would have inconvenienced me. She then told me that a manager was on lunch and would be back in about 45 minutes. I asked her to call him or any other manager of any Kay's store that could assist me in getting my money back. She told me he did not have a cell phone. That was not true. The manager shows up about 20 minutes later in a white t-shirt & shorts. Very unprofessional! He puts the diamonds under the scope and tests them and eventually gives me my money back.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with this company and in testing the diamond they sold me it was obvious that it did not test well because they sell such lousy diamonds.

I suggest never ever going to them.

Va

Comments

• La
      9th of Aug, 2008

As a former employee of Kay Jewelers (and don't think I'm going to argue with you on your complaint because I'm not) I feel as though I should share this information:

It is a kind of a gray area as far as returns go. I believe it is company policy for only Management to process refunds (generally only 3 people per store except Jared); and there will always be at least one of those people there. However, my manager allowed any associate who knew how to process the return to do so. So there would've undoubtedly been someone there who could've given you your refund.

The diamond testers will usually stop functioning a few months into use. So it is possible the thing wasn't working, but, there are usually 3+ diamond testers in the store. So that was a lame excuse.

Of course the manager had/has a cell phone so that was just a terrible line. Don't really know what else to say about that.

As far as the manager coming in wearing shorts and a t-shirt, it could've been his day off (managers get only one per week). So maybe he was just coming into the store for something else when you happened to be there. I also think this may have been the case because a lot of people in the company are somewhat strict about the dresscode. But, who knows.

For you and any other customers of Kay Jewelers or potential customers...DO NOT shop there, find a smaller independent jewelry store where you may pay 10% more and may not have the service plan or warranty but you get so much more in terms of quality of merchandise (don't even get me started on how they scam you there) and in general customer service. An independent jewelry store will be more concerned with your happiness rather than their bottom line.

We were always told to push the higher priced items and to do anything to try and avoid a return. This may seem pretty basic for a chain retailer but you never really think about it until you experience it as a customer or employee.

All of that having been said, there really are some good managers and associates in that, or any chain retailer. I can honestly say that from what I experienced my manager did seem to care quite a bit about his customers; but it's like I said the only thing that really matters to them at the end of the day is the bottom line; unfortunately.

• Ed
      22nd of Nov, 2008

most of the time the diamond testers take some getting used to in order for them to work right and maybe your associate was new and didnt know how to use it. the cell phone excuse could have been because it was their day off which is obviously what happened because of your t shirt and shorts description. they were professional enough to help you on their day off. mmmm, sounds like they tried to give you customer service even though their associate didnt know how.

• St
      5th of May, 2011

I bought my granddaughter, for her 16th birthday, the bracelet like Pandora's bracelet. In three short months, it broke and it was not abused. Tried to take it back and Rebecca, the "manager" refused to make the bracelet "good" - in fact, she did not even recognize the store's own merchandise and provided NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Their television commercials look great but DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS STORE. THEIR PRODUCTS ARE SUBPAR AND CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EVEN LESS.

Jane Seymour should NOT have her good name associated with this company!!

• Mr
      16th of May, 2011

We just bought our wedding rings from Kay Jewelers in Oklahoma City, OK. The service upon buying the rings was wonderful. When picking them up, the staff was rude and unhelpful. We have had our wedding rings for 3 days and they are already beaten up and scratched all to hell. We don't do anything besides mainly stay at home and I take my ring off at work. So how the hell does this happen to something supposedly real? Not this easy anyways. We spent 800 on the rings & warranties. I would definatly not recommend this place to anyone wanting fine jewelry. I'm getting my refund and taking my business elsewhere. If you value your money's worth, I'd advise you to do the same.