Kay Jewelerscompany logo

Kay Jewelers

Kay Jewelers

Learn how the rating is calculated

2 273 complaints
87 resolved 186 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

Kay Jewelers reviews & complaints 481 - 273

Kay Jewelers complaints 273

Kay Jewelers - horrible quality standards

I bought a ring 5 years ago. (Ring was rounded on its sides and even thickness all the way around). I turned it in for routine cleaning 2 month ago. They returned it back with dents all over the stones. I turned it back in to fix the dents, they returned me the ring top part of which was twice as thick as the bottom and it was square instead of round, the bottom was still rounded. So I turned it back again for the 3rd time - when I got it back, it was still square and still thick with an answer "We can't do anything about it, it's just time affecting gold... Gold wears out, blah blah blah, this is the best we can do. We can't make it the way it was."

I called customer relations and you know what they told me? - "It's wearable; this is what we obligated to do". That is their quality standards... No matter how altered the ring is, as long as it's wearable..

Kay Jewelers - trick

I wanted to buy studded earrings and a pendent base on what I can afford because I was planning to open a credit card to purchased them. After I spent an hour deciding what is affordable and what I can pay off within the "3 months interest free" plan, I figure out a monthly payment for a $415 earring, and after the sale lady was rushing me to get my signature to run the credit, I open the credit card.

When I went to ring out, the lady suddenly 'realize' she made a mistake on the earring pricing and the actually amount is $100+ more than the asking price. They refused to do anything about honoring the original price that they told me. Even customer services said "they couldn't so anything about it at the time" leaving me with a useless credit card, and a lower credit score with nothing to show for it.

The whole sale reps at The Loop off John Young Pkwy refused to resolve the issue that they cause, ignoring me to 'scam' other customers, and at one point to even had the nerve to show me another earring that was over $600?! I would never go to them again to conduct business. Not even to clean the cheapest jewelery I own.

My husband and I, too, almost got taken for a ride with them. As we are checking out, we were told my band was actually $600 more than the original price they told us it was when I picked it out the day before. Amazingly ridiculous - so we told them they could shove it right back up their [censor]. Anyone else who checks out Kays at The Loop, beware - there's a man named Jordan that works there who is a sleazeball and just loooooooves every ring you try on. You can't [censor] a [censor]ter, Jordan. How about you suck my husbands [censor] like you know you want to. People, there's a Jared over by JC Penny's that will do you right. I walked out with a 1.5 carat enhancer, paid $2k for it, and love it. Would've paid the same price for something half the size at Kay, and would've prayed that it was real. Diamonds are my language, you [censored] lords. I'm no dummy.

Kay Jewelers - do not deal with kay's

Customers beware of Kay jewelers. I recently have gotten married and made the mistake of going to Kay's to get a family antique ring sized. Working with Kay's has been an absolute nightmare.
I went in to buy a simple gold band to match my beautiful antique engagement ring. Since I was there, I decided to buy the gold band and get my engagement ring sized. The woman sizing my ring was training and wrote down my size wrong. When I came to pick it up, it was too small and did not fit my finger. It was sent back to be sized. This time when I picked up my ring, it had been thinned out due to the up sizing of the ring, due to the fault of Kay's. I asked for the ring to be thickened up.
Yet again, I came to pick up the ring, and this time there was a piece of gold that had lifted up and was getting caught on everything. Not to mention, they had covered up the 14k stamp. After asking one of the workers at Kay's, they had said that this could be due to the fact it was an old ring and had been worked on two times in such a short period. They sent it away once again to get the lifted piece of gold to be soldered down. When I came back to pick up the ring, for no apparent reason, it was taken down 1.5 sizes! This was a mystery to all that had worked there. It was sent out again to be sized correctly.
Due to all this work on an antique family ring, compromising the integrity, I had asked for a warranty beyond the customary six months. They said there was nothing they could due but they would give me a $25 gift certificate. It was very frustrating talking to customer service. They were ridiculously unhelpful and uncompassionate.
I would HIGHLY recommend not dealing with Kay's in ANY capacity.

Kay Jewelers - horrible customer service

I have a serious issue with customer service at this particular location. I had my wedding band re-sized -- basically a smaller band was ordered -- and was told I would be called when it was ready.

We never received a call. Finally, after a month of waiting, we called the store and was told by a kid (with attitude) that it was going to be sent back to wherever it came from because we had waited too long to come in.

We went in to the store and sure enough, they had sent the ring back. I proceeded to explain to a different kid behind the counter that we were never called. He told us we were called twice. I told him I would know whether I was called. (And I later went through my phone records. There was no record of any calls from Kay Jewelers.)

In the end, I was less upset about the fact that they didn't call and more upset about how both of these kids had such a bad attitude and had no idea how to treat customers. It indicated to me that there was very poor management at that location, and perhaps company-wide. I am incredibly thankful that we did not buy a more expensive piece of jewelry there and will never shop at Kay Jewelers again.

T

If anybody is planning on purchasing jewelry from Kay jewelers in Lancaster, PA I would definetely auggest you look somewhere else. When coming to this store with my fiancé to pick out my engagement ring we were treated great, obviously because they wanted us to purchase, but this was the only Ike I have ever gotten good customer service and respect from these people. I loved my ring but now seriously regret that we bought it at kays because once you buy something from them you basically are dirt the next time you come in to get you jewelry cleaned and inspected. Each time I've visited after purchasing my ring I've had a horrible experience were the same sales lady will act like she doesn't know I'm standing their waiting for about 15 minutes and then when she finally decides to help me she is rude and very disprespectful, if you ever get her initials BJ you will know what I mean. Basically with kays if you are planning to purchase they will treat you like gold and after that they will treat you like crap. I hate hat I have to deal with these ignorant jerks for the rest o my life and will never ever ever ever purchase anythig from them again.

I agree with the customer service as well. It's company wide. They have terrible customer service I just experienced that myself. My husband and I had to get my ring dipped after one year. They said it was white gold but it started turning after two months I had it. They called us about the ring being ready I went to pick it up and they would not give it to me told me that my husband had to pick it up. They are full of it and I will never buy from them again ever.

Kay Jewelers - cannot update customer information

December, 2008, My girlfriend purchased me a pre-engagement promise ring from Kay Jewelers. This ring is a beautiful white-gold and blue sapphire ring. To date, it has been shipped off 4 times for repair.

First, the ring was to be sized. For some reason, modifications cannot be completed in store, and therefor the ring was shipped off to some other place. The ring came back without problems. Later, I decided to have the ring re-sized for a different finger (Moved to my left hand) and the ring was again shipped out. When it came back, there was a nick in the metal near the stone. I let this go, simply because I wanted to wear the ring.

Several weeks later, the stone came loose, and I again had the ring shipped off to have the stone tightened and the nick in the metal near the stone. The ring came back, nick was fixed and the ring was polished, however the stone was still loose. The ring was again shipped out (third time, we're now 3 months after the purchase) and came back without issue.

Several weeks later, (Roughly six weeks later) The stone was loose again! Again, it was shipped off and came back fixed.

In January, a warranty was purchased for the ring, but the sales clerk misspelled my name.
Now, every time I go into the store, I'm told they cannot find my warranty without my paperwork, and that they cannot change the spelling of the name in store.
I was given a phone number to call [protected]) where I was told that it is impossible to update customer information. After a fairly lengthy conversation, I asked for the company's home state (Ohio) and am now proceeding to file complaints against the company.

I'm in the same boat. I've HAD so many problems with my ring. First I had problems with the sizing and the ring came back with a "nick" like what you had. THEN I finally get the ring and 2 weeks of wearing it the diamond falls out. So I send it and when I get it back the diamonds are still loose. So back again it goes. I've had 2 diamonds fall out. 3-5x having loose diamonds. And every time I talk to the manager he knows nothing and isn't helping me out. They keep telling me...o after this time they will deem the ring unrepairable and give me a new ring. YEA RIGHT. I've only had the ring for 7 months and it's been in the shop 6-7 times. And I have no idea what to do. We're ready to say "f-it" and take the loss.

Mine is getting brought in today for the 4th time. A large stone (the same diamond each time!) has fallen out and needs replacing again. I've been without my ring more than I've been with it since getting married! VERY frustrating! Poor customer service to boot. All willing to sell, none willing to maintain and deal with you after the purchase.

Kay Jewelers - repair service takes too long

I purchased a three stone, 1 carat t.w. band in December 2008 from the store in Lexington KY. At the time of purchase the sales person tried to sell me the extended warranty; my response was they must not have much faith in their product if they are already talking about stones falling out, etc.! I took the ring in to the Zona Rosa location February 2009 for resizing, my husband wanted the extended warranty so we shelled out $300.00. The resizing took roughly 3 weeks. In April one of the stones fell out of the ring, when I took the ring in for repairs, I was told because I had not had the ring checked every quarter, they would not honor the warranty; but they readily admitted they had checked the prongs when the ring went in for resizing. Again, we waited almost three weeks for the ring to be repaired. When the ring was returned the replaced stone was noticeably smaller than the other two. Again, the ring has been sent for repairs! At this point, we have owned the ring for 5 1/2 months and have worn it for about 1 1/2 months. Not happy with Kay Jewelers.

Kay Jewelers - customer service

I took my wedding ring in for the 6 month inspection under the esp warranty in March. After inspecting the ring, it had to be sent out for repair due to chipped stones. I was told it would be back in 2 weeks. Two weeks went by and no ring. When I called, they said it had to be sent to the manufacturer because they had to cut new stones to replace the chipped ones. They said the ring would be repaired in a month. After not getting a call a month later I once again called them. This time they said the ring would not be ready for 3 more months! Now 4 months later I get a call and guess what - MY WEDDING RING HAD BEEN STOLEN ON ITS WAY BACK TO KAYS!!! And all they could say was "we're sorry this happened. Come back in and we'll replace it for a ring of equal value ( they don't have that ring anymore ) or we'll give you a store credit. They had no regards to the sentimental value my ring had and any other ring I get as a replacement for it would just be a ring. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Kay Jewelers - lieing sold us sterling sliver thinking we purchased white gold

My fiance purchased my engagment ring for me at Kay Jewelers in Regency mall. He paid over a grand for a white gold wedding set and put it on Kay's credit. This past Feb. we purchased my fiance'...

Kay Jewelers - switched diamonds

On May 1st my wife decided to have her anniversary band re-sized. We purchased a "Leo" band for about $2700 in 2006. This is their top of the line diamond ring and included certification paperwork...

Kay Jewelers - costomer service blows

Customer service blows. they lose rings and I've never had my ring to me on time. The Sales people are rude as heck, and honestly my husband and I are going to get all our friends and family to boycott Kay...PERIOD!My blessed ring was very special to me it was perfect and now i have a larger ring that hurts my fingers and is honestly UGLY! No one ever gives us the correct phone number to contact people. Ya know there are a lot of people in the military I hope Kay loses a lot of business!

I am sick of Kay Jewlers calling us! A family member seems to be having a payment issue with Kay. While I do not condone avoidance of responsbility, the family member is well over 40 and lives clear across the country from us. We have absolutely no control or influence over the situation. Using public records search information, Kay has gotten my cell phone number and has called us dozens of times. Each time I have called the family member and told them that they need to deal with this and explained to the collection agent that he has been notified, that we have no responsibility or influence and have asked them to remove our name and number from their files and to stop calling us. Each time the agent swears he is removing the information and putting notes on the account but we still keep getting calls!
The family member's whereabouts are known to Kay, but when they can't work it out with him they bother family across the country, despite repeated requests to stop. I am so sick of this!

H

I too have lost all intrest in ever going to Kays Jewerly Store again! I have purchased over the last 10 years roughly 30, 000 in rings and other diamonds from this store. I however will never buy or go into a Kays again! I went to Kays due to the Zales storesbeing such ### quilty of merchandise, but the service comemitment from Kays is not any better. I took a 18.000 dollar ring in to be examined and they told me the progons where in really bad shape so they told me they could fix them welll $800.00 Dollars later they returned my ring in worst shape then when it went in. The heart shaped Dimaond was not set correctly and was moving inside the mounting! SO I took it back and they said oh sorry!!! I again had to leave it for another week. The second time I picked it up the prongs where suppose to be done and done right stupid me I trusted them. The third time this time the prongs are not touching my diamond and They said oh but it is sercuer and We will fix it but I said no to their three times is the charm maybe we will fix it the third time in... I can not chance it it is a very big diamond to have slip lose and lose because they have hired second rate repair men the only good thing I can say about that store is it was a lesson well learned!!!DO NOT GO TO KAYS!!!

You should take it to an appraisal and make sure that you have "real diamonds" in it instead of crystals. When they loose jewelry it's not lost it's because they switched out the real diamonds for fake ones.

Kay Jewelers - ruined engagement ring

After 21 yrs apart, (we were kids and circumstances beyond our control separated us. Families moved and addresses got lost) my fiance' and I have reunited. Only DREAMED of ever finding each other...

Kay Jewelers - terrible people

My fiance bought my engagement ring there 5 years ago; that's how long we've been engaged. I bent a prong several years ago that they "fixed" but it was out of alignment with the other prongs. They told me that the diamond was secure and that that fulfilled the warranty/protection plan that my fiance bought. 2 months ago, I bent another prong and, this time, they told me that they had to replace the head (just the prongs) to make sure it's secure. They sent it away and it came back completely different! It was a completely different setting (the prongs were nearly twice as thick and it was a much shorter setting). They said that they would send it away again, but that they didn't know what the original ring looked like and that it might not be the same setting. The ring came back, again, but this time the prongs were still to thick and it was set way too high. This time, they decided to run my SKU number to see if they had any settings like my old one that they could replace it with. They had one left and it was just sold. They sent my wrong ring in with that one, telling the jeweler to use that setting. Well, it came back WRONG AGAIN. This time, the manager at the South Hills Village store told me that there was nothing else that they could do and basically scolded me because they had to pay $150 dollars each time they sent it away. (One...they got the setting wrong and Two...we paid for the protection plan!) I decided to call corporate customer service and the man told me that they wouldn't even consider letting me trade it in because, as long as the diamond was safe in the setting, that the ring was fixed according to the plan. The only thing they'll do is keep sending it away until they get it right. (Which, they've told me that my ring was so old that they can't do). I told him that I was FINALLY GETTING MARRIED in a few months and I am catholic, so it's extremely important to me that my ring gets Blessed and doesn't have to get shipped away a thousand times to be supposedly "fixed." He told me, and I quote, "I"m Catholic, too, and I know for a fact that you can get your rings Blessed any time." What about the fact that my wedding only happens once and that it is a Sacrament. Apparently NOT to Kay Jewelers. I've been engaged for 5 years - I've worn my engagement ring for 5 years - and I'm finally getting married. I will never have my original ring back and whenever I look down at the piece of junk that they replaced it with, I am completely disgusted.

Kelly,

I am so sorry for your experience at Kays. I posted a complaint on here yesterday too, and I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I have also complained to corporate and to my BBB about how awful the service was and the fact that they blatantly lied to me. I hope you find some way to move on and enjoy your wedding day. I know it's easier said than done, because I am not there yet either. It is still an open wound and we are both very upset about the whole thing. I will never have the ring he proposed to me with either and it really hurts. I only had my ring for a week before I sent it away to get sized. I can't imagine having it for 5 years and having something happen to it and them not make it right. I really feel for you and am sorry for what you are going through. Just wanted you to know, that there is someone out there that has a very good idea of what you are going through. I hope your wedding day is perfect in every way.

Kay Jewelers - great service

I would like to compliment the sales staff at Kay Jewelers in Yakima, WA. I have been treated their with great service, no issues at all. I have purchased my wifes rings, my ring, my ear rings, my watch, and my wifes watch from that store. They are always friendly, and willing to help. They always try to get us a little better deal then whats in the ad, and i really appericate that. I know that they are still making good profit off our sales when we purchase there, but thats a given, thats what they are there for. Because of their great service, and attentiveness to my wife and I with our needs, they will have more repeat business for us. Thank you Yakima, WA Kay Jewelers branch.

this is how dishonest kay jewelers are.kay jewelers posted this comment.

Kay Jewelers - fraudulent company

My fiancee and I went into Kay Jewelers in Chico, CA to look for an engagement ring for me. The one I picked out was perfect. The stone shined magnificently, with almost no flaws, and the band wa...

Kay Jewelers - customer service blows

They lost my ring. They did little to make me feel better. Customer service was poor. Employee lied to me about my ring and what he could do to make it better. You would be better off going to a small jeweler that can actually be kind and care about you at least a little bit. The corporate crap is annoying and took forever for them to just give me a replacement of the ring they lost.

hello this message is for Kay Jewelers customer service

I was attempting to apply for a Kay Jewelers credit account, but only received an error message saying my password was incorrect.

Well, I beg to differ. I have used this same one for 7-8 years and have no intention of changing it now merely to give you the PRIVILEGE of helping me. So, I will go back to the one I usually shop at. This is Zales

thought you could use this honnest comment

regards
ronald parker

Kay Jewelers sells beautiful jewelry but their customer service stinks BIG TIME!! I paid $600 for the interest free for 1 year. The customer service representative (Cee-Cee) asked if I wanted to lower my monthly payments. Naturally I said "Yes", the following month I was informed that my account was no longer interest free and my payments went from 0% interest to a 22.90% interest rate. I was livid. I called customer service and they claimed that the account was changed because I requested financial hardship. I explained to them that when the representative brought the idea up she never mentioned the terms (meaning I would lose my interest free 12 month payment plan). They were very smug and didn't offer to help. I paid my bill in full and closed my account. 3 times I was told something by one representative and the following month what was told to me was never documented on my account... they basically raped my wallet and took $300 from me in 3 months before I smartened up and closed my account with them. This was by far the worst experience I have had with a credit card company. I would not recommend them to anyone. It was a horrible experience!!!

Kay Jewelers - bad service

Bought an engagement/wedding set and was told they'd be sized and soldered at a later date for no charge. The catch is ONLY if you buy the extended warranty. This was not disclosed when the purchase...

Kay Jewelers - not honoring waranty

My husband purchased a ring from Kay Jewelers, Tracy CA 95376 in June 2007. On December 22, 2008, I noticed the large center diamond was missing. The store manager stated that replacement of the...

Kay Jewelers - mislead!

While taking my engagement ring for repair, I spotted a pearl and diamond pendant and earrings set perfect for my upcoming wedding in August 2009. I asked how much the set cost and the salesperson...

Kay Jewelers - rip off

I went to Kay Jewelers at Eastview Mall in Victor NY to purchase a $300 wedding band for my husband (to replace an older one that was beat up...) While there I had my Original Engagement Diamond ring ($1000 20 years ago) and Anniversary Ring ($4100 8 years ago) cleaned. These were purchased from a real Jewelry store Not Kay.

After cleaning and examining them, they said that All the diamonds were loose in both rings and recommended that they get tightened and can be shipped out with the sizing of the new purchased ring and they would all return the same time. Fell for it!!! 10 days later stopped in only to find out that the shipment was lost by their carrier UPS. They offered a store credit for equal or lesser... (you get the picture).

My Husband went to the store and furiously demanded the total value in cash ($5100 plus tax, not including appreciation value) to no avail. He called customer service and they repeated the store policy of equal or lesser value credit (you get the picture).

They were Negligent, I get to pick 5100 worth of there crap jewelry, and they get a Full Insurance claim out of the deal… Lesson learned, “never" let your Sentimental Jewelry out of your sight, and certainly never let them talk you into shipping it anywhere without a retainer from them for the Full appraisal value. Husband is speaking with an Attorney and considering taking them to court on Principle.

I totally agree with the post. I purchased my fiancees diamond from them in January for about 6K. The ring was brought in because the stone was loose. It was sent to the home office to be replaced. 3 months and 3 attempts to find a stone and setting that would fit together we still do not have the ring back. This is a disgusting oversight and in my opinions adds up to gross negligence on the part of the company. All I want now is to get my money back and to never do business with Kay again. Of course their policy is they do not give refunds. Is there any way I can get a lawyer involved to settle just to get my money back?

If you feel that Kay is not a "real" jewelry store then what were you doing there purchasing a new ring in the first place? It sounds like the salesman did his job in advising you that your ring was in need of repair, if he hadn't and you had then lost stones from the ring would that have been his fault also? When you sign the repair slip to send something out for repair you are acknowledging that it will be shipped out to a remote location repair shop. You are also signing to the fact of the value stated and if it is lost it will be replaced with something of like quality and design. Nowhere does it say they will pay you the retail value of the item if it is lost. UPS lost it, not the store, so place blame properly. I mean think about it, they are in the jewelry business, so why in the world would they pay you the retail value of the ring? Of course they will replace it at their cost for you. You end up with a new ring of the value you agreed to when you sent it out. You were not scammed by the company, unfortunately losses in shipping do occur and it is a bad thing but perhaps you have made sure you understood the situation before you sent out your ring for repair.

The helpful professionals at said jewelry chain remind one of a shark when said shark smells fresh blood. There is no mercy or humanity, just reaction to their advantage-that moment when a consumer ponders the offerings put before them. It DOES seem strange that the customer's articles were lost, does it not? Stores and businesses CANNOT stay in business when valuables are lost or misplaced. It is a curious matter how they find repairs in many, many instances when a customer dares to enter their stores. Reminds one of those auto repair facilities who always find something wrong that is in need of repair. My best advice is to avoid these theives masquerading as jewelers.

S
Nov 24, 2008

E.d. you keep posting things on here in "favor" of Kay. I think you work there and are trying to maintain your customers. I have read SEVERAL reviews where Kay has "lost" the jewelry. I know that UPS loses packages but not as many as I've seen reviews.

E
Nov 21, 2008

It's not the stores fault that your jewelry was lost. unfortunately, ups/fedex lose packages and yes their insurance replaces the value of the product lost. nothing can replace a sentimental item such as yours and as frustrating as it is for you and the jewelry store, the only thing that can be done is to replace your loss with something of the same value. they do custom work and might be able to recreate your lost piece. i have worked for a couple of differant jewelry stores and among other things, ups/fedex have lost company shipments before to include yours and theirs. i am sorry that it happened to you and understand your anger but be sympathetic to the jewelry store. if they hadnt told you about your loose stones, then you might have hit your ring on something and out come the stones, then where would you be. i'm sure if you suggest the custom option to them, they might be able to work something out. i sincerely wish you the best of luck in getting a resolution to your problem but a lawsuit is not the way to go.

Kay Jewelers - scam and cheating

My husband bought me a Diamond and emerald bracelet from there. Ee bought the extended warranty since I wore it daily. Of course I broke it and took it to be repaired there. They said 'since it...

1  ...  12 13 14