Kaplan University / scam, fraud, extortion

United States Review updated:

I started in the Legal Studies program and have completed a years worth of classes all paid for via VA Vocational Rehab. For the entire year I've had one problem after another. Here is a brief accounting: Accused of plagiarism for using quotes out of a US Supreme Court Document to enhance my arguement on a very old court case- US Supreme Court Docs are public and can be used as long as they are cited and I have the paper to prove they are cited. When I asked for the instructors vitae (resume) and all info regarding his license to practice law I was quickly moved to another class with a different instructor- but wasn't expelled for plagiarism. My point here is that I didn't commit plagiarism...and Kaplan knows this but if Kaplan can fail you in a class they can have you pay to retake it again. I was blocked from classes because they said I failed to submit a FAFSA. First that is voluntary and I didn't need it because my education was already paid for. They did indeed block me and of course the financial aid dept. does not return emails or phone calls. When my VA Voc Rehab counselor got thru they back tracked and told him I was 12 thousand dollars in the arrears on tuition which was absolutely not true because he had an accounting of all the money paid to date. They finally relented when he presented proof of monies sent. Guess Kaplan didn't want to screw with the govt to badly. Finally, I had an instructor give me a D in class for a paper because he said I didn't follow the rules. When I submitted to him the Rules as per the instructions on the classes home page...he back tracked and said he'd sent out "different' rules. Again this is a simple scam- anything lower than a D and you have to retake the class as it doesn't transfer for the degree. Since the VA is paying my way they felt they had an open check book. I've withdrawn and oh boy am I waiting for the war. Per their policy I notified the Academic Advisor and in this case I went right to the top- he never responded until I copied him in on the complaints I sent to the Attorney General's offices in three states, Senators in four states, OIG, Dept. of Education, and Federal Financial Aid Dept. I also inlisted the VA to help fight as my goal is to obtain all the money back that was spent on Kaplan as it was fraudulently extorted. Kaplan will demand payment as they refused to acknowledge my withdraw- I refuse to pay them for anymore classes. Please to all of you that read this don't go unless you are a glutton for punishment; for all of you that have had problems...please write all the agencies I named above and the Senators in each state Kaplan has an office/campus plus your home Senator. Also complain to the Dept. of Education. Kaplan is needlessly ripping people off as well as our Federal Govt. I think the IRS needs to audit this company!

Comments

Ly
  6th of Jun, 2009
They are an illegal operation and should be closed downwith every student refunded his/her money. ASAP.

Kaplan University Logo Kaplan University