Kaplan College In Arizona / sexual harassment

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I am currently a student at Kaplan college in Arizona. I am in the respiratory therapy program and I am half way through the program. During my first clinical rotation at a local hospital, I was sexually harassed by a fellow student. I also witnessed him acting inappropriately with a patient and an employee at the hospital. I notified my teacher and I was moved to a different hospital. The school tried to keep it a secret but somehow the hospital found out and dismissed the student. The school put him in a different hospital so he could finish his hours. In the meantime, he called the Dean of the school whom which he has had a friendship with. He told her his side of the story and she believed him, at least I am assuming since she has not returned any of my phone calls or emails and that he is still in class with me. I have emails from this student which I have dropped off at the school. I feel like I am being ignored and that the school is trying to hide this situation. I pay a lot of money to go to this school and I am forced to be in the same classroom with this student whom I feel unsafe and uncomfortable to be around. I recently had to switch to the day program and cut down my hours at work to do so, just so I can be in a safe classroom. I had to change a lot of things in my life and he hasn't had to change anything. As far as I am concerned he should have been kicked out of the program but because he is friends with the Dean, this did not happen. Everyone keeps telling me to get a lawyer, its just sad that the school hasn't handle this in a professional way.

Tj

Comments

• Mo
      24th of Aug, 2008

You should get a lawyer if you have proof of what your are saying. If the guy is conducting himself in such a manner it is clearly seen he has NO respect for others. If he is behaving this way now and his career has not gotten of the ground... I am a Kaplan student in another state and in their hand book it states they will not tolerate and type of sexual harassment behavior from any student. READ your hand book that they give out to all students. If you do not have a copy, go to the administration or even financial aide to get a copy. They do not like giving out extras copies but, as much money as they charge you should be able to get one.

One thing I have learned about some (I say some because not all are the same) of Kaplan's staff... they do have their favorites and do show favoritism.
    Good Luck.