Just Brakes / Unauthorized billing

I should have used this site BEFORE going to Just Brakes...then I would have known their practices!

My car's brakes were squeaking, so I dropped off my car in the early morning for the $99 pads-and-shoes deal that they advertised - I'm new in Dallas, and thought they were my best option since I didn't know any local mechanics.

Mid-afternoon, I received a call saying that the car would need over $500 in repairs. The mechanic I talked too wouldn't give me too many specifics other than things like 'weak hoses, ' 'corroded rotors, ' 'dirty calipers' and such. He said it all in a tone that was like he was reading from a script.

However, I had had my car looked at by a mechanic I TRUSTED only about a month ago, before I moved, and he had only mentioned some wear on the pads. So I told the Just Brakes rep that I just wanted the pads and shoes replaced. He quoted me a new price, around $350, and said he wouldn't do any work unless I consented to at least that price. I told him just to put it back together and write me out a list of what was wrong, and I'd get a second opinion.

When I came back to get my car two hours later, the front right tire was completely flat! The mechanic vaguely mentioned something about how it was fine when they put it back on, and how 'slow leaks' can happen. These were 2-year-old tires that I'd checked one month ago and were filled when I came in. They finally agreed to fill up the tire, but accused me of 'cussing them out' and 'overreacting' when I simply asked to see a manager.

Five days later, and my tire is doing fine and has not lost any pressure. I'm not sure if the flat tire was due to incompetence or retaliation for turning them down, but I'm worried about what else they may have done to my brake system. I'm certainly doing my research before I take my car to another repair shop here!

Ch

Comments

• La
      28th of Feb, 2009

• Ju
      7th of Apr, 2009

My brakes were squeaking, but only in the morning. I called to set up an appointment for 4:30 on April 6th, 2009. At 4:25 went to Just Brakes and stated I would wait for my car. Eric and Darren went over my car pointing out crystalized pads, and worn wheel cylinders. It would cost me $509.99, instead of their advertised price of $99.88. I told them I am a single mother and could not afford that. They said just do the $99.88 and the brake fluid flush at $39.99. (Eric said that brake fluid flush needed to be done every 12, 000 miles) I told them I needed to call someone and ask them what they thought. They said don't get the brake flush because if you need new wheel cylinders it will need to be done again. I told him to do the brakes at $99.88, but not the flush. Darren said to bring it back when I could do all of it. I told Darren to just put it all together and I will think about it. I went to another company Palm Tire Automotive and had them look at my brakes. Palm Tire said there was nothing wrong with my brakes at all, they did not need to be replaced, everything was fine, pads were fairly new. I was one of the lucky ones who asked someone else. I am so glad I have friends who know about brakes, because Just Brakes sounded very convincing. I am glad there are some companies you can still trust, JUST BRAKES IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

• Bp
      17th of Sep, 2009

OMG. They scammed me too. I'm about to go get my car and they kept calling me and raising the prices. Damn! This is crazy! Why are they such scam artists!!!

27th of Apr, 2010

JUST BRAKES IN TUCSON AZ. CHARGED ME $3150.00 FOR A WHOLE NEW BRAKE SYSTEM. I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THEM TO DO THE WORK. THE MANAGER DAMEN REFUSES TO GIVE ME MY CAR, UNTIL I PAY FOR SOMETHING I DID NOT AUTHORIZE. I DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER CAR TO GET ME TO WORK AND BACK. MY CAR IS A 1994 HONDA ACCORD. BLUE BOOK SAYS MY CAR IS NOT WORTH $3150.00. HOW CAN THESE GUYS GET AWAY WITH THIS? THANK YOU, ANNA IN TUCSON AZ.

• Ju
      29th of Aug, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the delay in responding to your concern. Just Brakes was not made aware of this website until just now. We are also under new management. At Just Brakes we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and appreciate feedback that will help us achieve that goal. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied and would like to hear more from you. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to serving you.