JCPenneychanged billing due date w/o notice

I went online today to make my usual credit card payment to JC Penney. That was the first I knew that Penney had changed my online payment date, moved it back into December (my 2nd December payment) and fined me $35 because my payment date had been changed.

I talked to 3 people in Cust. Service & finally found one who gave a darn about customers.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Monroe, MI She said they didn't notify those who pay online because it was "too expensive." I closed out my account and cancelled an order...but I'm still burned up! This is how retailers are making $$ in a poor economy -- by charging enormous interest rates on charge cards and penalizing customers for "late Payments" by changing the due date without notification.

Comments

• Jm
      Jan 04, 2009

Luckily I caught this just in time on the last billing cycle (due early dec) as JCP had moved up my due date by 5 or 6 days (after several years of the same date). This is unconscionable and should be illegal. JCP should be ashamed of themselves for biting the hands that feed them. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

• Je
      Jul 26, 2009

I had the same experience. I was traveling and did not realize that the due date had changed. So, for two months in a row, my automatic payment was late, so they increased my finance rate and lowered my credit line. After being a loyal customer for 25+ years, I am now cancelling my account because no one gives a damn. Apparently Penneys is doing so well in this economy that they can drive away loyal customers. By the way, I won't be shopping there anymore.

Jun 08, 2010

Ah so you caught on, too? They've been moving my due date around for the past year or so now. However, I always catch it and pay on time. It is wrong, I agree. They automatically changed payment due dates for everyone at some point last year. Cardholders were notified by mail. Cardholders also had the option of calling and choosing and setting their own new date. The best route totake with resolving an issue like this would be contacting them through the "contact us" link. They have always resolved the issue immediately. Don't even bother calling--the people they have working the phones don't know anything.