iTalk Global Communications / Illegal and fraudulent business practices

1 8500 Leesburg PikeVienna, VA, United States Review updated:

I began my long distance phone service with ITALKBB on March 17, 2006. The service agreement was for 12 months, plus an additional 2 months free, for a total of 14 months. The total price of $308.99 which included the costs of equipment was paid on my credit card. On May 28, 2007, a charge for $299.14 appeared on my credit card from ITAKEBB. I never agreed to another year of their service and was never contacted by ITALKBB about renewing the service. I contacted my credit card company and disputed the charge. After disputing the charge, I was contacted by ITALKBB and agreed to another year of service. The credit card charge was approved by me and payment was processed. Later ITALKBB claimed they never received payment, and canceled the service. I contacted my credit card company and they claimed the payment was wired to ITALKBB. After explaining to ITALKBB that my credit card company was investigating the payment, ITALKBB attempted to charge my credit card a second time without my permission which I stopped. ITALKBB canceled my service.

This was the last I heard from ITALKBB until April, 2008 when I was contacted by a collection agency claiming I owed ITALKBB $160.09. I contacted both the collection agency and ITALKBB for details. I wanted to talk to a manager at ITALKBB, and I left a message to call me back to discuses the matter. They never called me back. Working through the collection agency (because ITALKBB would not contact me), I requested an invoice with itemized charges and details. The invoice I received listed $100.10 for service fees and $59.99 for equipment. After further negotiations with the collection agency, the $59.99 would be removed if I returned the equipment, and the $100.10 services fee would be reduced to $60.00.

The following are the complaints I have with ITALKBB:

1. They had no legal right to charge my credit card to renew their service without my permission (which they did twice).

2. After many months of trying to resolve the payment issue with my credit card company, to this day I still do not know if ITALKBB received my original payment or not, but my credit card company says yes. From what I perceive, ITALKBB could be attempting to double bill me. I repeat, ITALKBB has never returned my phone calls to discuss the matter.

3. When I first agreed to do business with ITALKBB, they stated that equipment costs were already included in the $308.99, and there was no mention of returning the equipment upon cancellation of service. ITALKBB is changing its policy agreement with me in an attempt to wrongfully and illegally collect more money.

4. Finally, why was not I contacted by ITALKBB upon cancellation of service that I owe this alleged money? Why was not a final invoice or bill sent to me? Instead, they contacted a collection agency which threatened my credit and expected me to blindly pay without proper documentation for this claim.

The unprofessional manner in which ITALKBB conducts business I believe is illegal and fraudulent, and ITALKBB business practices need to be investigated immediately. Please contact me if you require more information and documentation.

Va

Comments

• Ko
      20th of Aug, 2008

Also their sales are so rude, call you so many times and even you nicely noticed them your number is on the DO-Not-Call list, and don't interesting their service, and please don't call again, otherwise I will complain them, but you can't believe what they said is "I will call you again and again"

Just crazy. Never ever think about them.

• Mi
      25th of Sep, 2008

This company keep calling us even if I told them several times we are in do not call list and asking them to stop call us. Look like they do not even care about this law.

• Mi
      20th of Oct, 2008

Yes. I totally agree because I had similar experience. People shall start class suite against this company.

• Dr
      27th of Oct, 2008

My complaint has already been registered.We should all fight this rip-off scamming crew.

• Ve
      23rd of Nov, 2008

THIS OUTFIT (I-TALK) DEMONSTRATES A CONSISTENT "TO HELL WITH YOU" ATTITUDE WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO CALL AND GET THEM TO RECTIFY A PROBLEM.
    A CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE PURCHASED THEIR DAMN SERVICE AND WAS UNABLE TO MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS WITHIN SEVERAL DAYS OF ACTIVATION. SHE WAS OVERSEAS AND I REPEATEDLY CALLED THOSE ### AT I-TALK EXPLAINING THAT THEIR CUSTOMER WAS UNABLE TO USE THE SERVICE. I ASKED THEM — SEVERAL TIMES, DURING SUCCESSIVE CALLS — TO TELEPHONE MY FRIEND (THEIR PAYING CUSTOMER) AND RECTIFY THE PROBLEM. EACH TIME THEY PROMISED TO CALL "RIGHT AWAY" AND DID NOT CALL. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED A FORMAL COMPLAINT TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE AND TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA. I AM ADVISING AND URGING MY FRIEND TO DO THIS, HERSELF! THESE MONEY-GRUBBING ### SIMPLY WANT TO BILL AND COLLECT MONEY . . . THEY DON'T GIVE A S**T ABOUT SO MUCH AS COURTEOUSLY RESPONDING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! A LOUSY, LOUSY, DISGUSTING, INCOMPETENT RIPOFF OUTFIT, IN MY EXPERIENCE. ATTORNEY GENERAL/BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU/FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. THESE ### WILL HAVE TO SIT UP AND TAKE NOTICE WHEN PROPER AUTHORITIES CALL THEM TO ACCOUNT FOR THEIR REPREHENSIBLE, UNETHICAL MANNER OF DEALING WITH PEOPLE. GO GET 'EM!

16th of Feb, 2009

iTalkBB start charge their customer additional $35.40 a year even did notify their customers. Look your credit card statement, there will be an additional charge place to your credit card. I think this charge is illegal. I also know some people has filed law suit againest iTalkBB in USA and Chine.

iTalkBB also is not permitted to use Chinese 400 numbers. That is why your 400 numbr will keeping change. Is any body could find a lawyer to handle this case?

• Ml
      4th of Mar, 2009

they increased monthly service charge without notice!

• Sh
      7th of Mar, 2009

I will not pay the so-called tax!

• Ai
      9th of Mar, 2009

I am in the same situation.

Their CS said i have right to cancell the service, but the cancel charge is around 80 dollor, otherwise i must accept their additional charge.

• Pa
      11th of Mar, 2009

For me, I am a customer with a pre-paid account and whenever balance fall below $1, they would charge my credit card.

Nov08, they charged at odds fee of $18.34 and it cause my credit card to overdraw. Then card company charge overlimit fee of $34. I called CS Department and they said it was a computer error. I was informed to send proof of charges and they will be happy to refund $18.34 and $34. Since then they said they lost my record and never call back. I resent information and still not feedback.

Today, I was told that it is my fault and I shouldn't leave my credit card information in their system. I was like what... I told the CS person to listen to his own answer and it sound so stupid.

I will consider lawsuit and report to media. I believe we all have a lawsuit here.

24th of Mar, 2009

All customer of iTalkBB, if you do not want iTalkBB to continue over charge to your credit card, you should cancel your current credit card and change to a new account. It is free for most of bank. Otherwise, iTalkBB will continue over charge place on your account for sure. If you know a good lawyer, hire him and start lawsuit to iTalkBB for breach the contract, provides poor service, and business fraud.

24th of Mar, 2009

I called to cancel my service but the cs department told me to call back on the day( 21st day of the month) before my billing cycle end. I called them back on the 20th, another cs rep told me it was on the 12th. She said I have to call back next month. Most companies would ask you what day would you like to cancel your service and it will be done by that day. I guess this is their way of giving you a hard time to cancel your service.
    When I read her the legal Terms and Services posted on the web site which states "Customer agrees to provide iTalk thirty (30) days notice of Customers intent to terminate services. " She simply ignore me then hung up on me. I think their should be a lawsuit against their business practice!!!

• Ca
      23rd of Apr, 2009

DON'T BE RIPPED OFF BY ITALKBB!!!

The voice quality of ITALKBB is interrupted all the time, pretty bad compare with Skype. Tech Support troubleshooting is ineffective. Toll Free Phone Numbers they provided in China and Taiwan never work.
    ItalkBB's customer service is truly horrible. You would feel like talking to a machine. Email replies from ITALKBB are cut and paste terms and conditions and never answer my questions specifically.

I really regret that I use ITALKBB!!! I wasted lots of money with this stupid company.

• Kw
      16th of Jun, 2009

Usually italkbb increases your monthly fee after current plan expires and automatically renew to a higher fee plan without your consent. If you do not paid by simply cancel your credit card on file then they stop your service but continue to charge you using a collecting agency until you call to formally cancel your plan and have the equipment returned. Their representative do not speak English so there is no use to complain just pay up.

30th of Jun, 2009

I have same problem. They charge me 300 without notice me.
    This is an illegel company, some of their call centers are set in China. So, they are call from China, charge your credit card from China. But, they are using North America ID. Am...actually, I dont know is it legal or not?

27th of Aug, 2009

They are a scam. When I called to cancel, the girl just would not stop persuading me to keep the service, even after repeated attempts to tell her to just do it. Then she told me that i had to send back the equipment to avoid fees. That really made me mad because when I signed up for their service (pre-paid for a whole year) in 2006, I was promised that the equipment was mine to keep. Of course, now I can't find any proof because it must have been from the sales call.

If you are considering to sign up with them, DON"T!!! I switched to OOMA and loved it. Calls are clear and no more monthly phone bills!

• Ci
      28th of Aug, 2009

ItalkBB is the worst company I have ever seen in telemarking. Their people just keep harassing people without any shame.

Their sales keep calling me all the time with different people from different areas. Sometimes they called me evey single day from different people with different caller IDs. sometimes the same person call me twice daily because they forgot they already called me earier that day, and then called again.

Every time I got their phone call, I told them that I have registed with no call list and ask them to remove my phone number from their calling list. However, they just keep calling me as usual.

So I told the caller their phone calls are harassment and it is against the law. But they ignore my waring and keep calling.

iTalkBB callers are the most shameless people I have ever seen and heard.

I was not a iTalkBB customer and I will never be their customer because I got enough harassment from them. I want to stay away from them as far as possible.

Sometimes, when I talked with my local friends on the phone and the phone line quality was really bad, they told me they are using iTalkBB line.

I want to write my bad experience here to tell people BE CAREFUL with iTalkBB!

• Am
      25th of Feb, 2010

Does anybody know a credit card company wire payment to vendors on behalf of their customers? There is not a practice by common sense if they have well established transaction method. You probably should have checked if you credit card is charged by this "wiring" before you claimed your due is paid.

• Ca
      18th of Mar, 2010

I suffered more than yours from ITALKBB. my story is more complex and long. I'll write it to show you when I have time. Right now my suggestion is : be very carfully to use their service.

7th of Jul, 2010

You have to very careful to sign up to use BB I talk, they don't let you stop service, I have been calling by these people and receiving E mails for more than two year.
    Two years ago, I called BB I talk to stop the service, a lady transferred me to another department for cancellation, then a man answer the phone and said :"you want to stop service? why? OK, I will process for you, wait... then he hang up. I received e-mail ask for payment next few days later, I called again and same thing happen again, then I e-mails them back to cancel the service, they reply to me I need to call to cancel, I called again, same thing happen, I got hang up three times! After that, they have been non stop calling my home phone, cell phones and sent me a lot of E-mails.
    Now, they changed to ask me the equipment box, which is included in the price if I sign up for one year service, they keep calling me to make me very angry. And they were calling from China, when you talk to them, they won't listen what you say or what happen, they just repeated the same thing - like " you need to send the box back, you need to return the box ..., I have to hang up to release myself.