iPAGE.com

Posted:

Scam

4.7
iPAGE.com
I signed up with iPAGE and paid them a total of US$126.76 on 29 March 2010 after reading on their intro page that they are affordable, dont tie customers up and most importantly "if unhappy in whatever way, 30 Days moneyback guarantee, 100% refund if cancel within 30 days+ easy to build free website builder tools

However, after 10 torturing hours and I still cant understand how to use their tools to build a website, I decided to cancel my a/c and hire a local web company instead to do everything for me.

The chatline operator told me that there will be a non refundable of US$15 and the rest will be refunded to me.

But when i look at my latest credit card statement i m shocked to receive a bbill of US$99.79.

iPAGE has charged $126.76 on 29mar and only refund me USD27 on 31 Mar!

I then contacted the billing dept who insist that they only refund hosting fees, add on services are non refundable!!

The guy also keep stressing on their "its all under our Terms and Conditions"

I felt really cheated and shortchanged. Because on their main website they do not have a column of terms n condions nor do they made it clear that theres no refund other than hosting charges.

For a IT idiot like me, I just follow their sign on procedure which auto includes all these so call add on services into my cart, i dont even have aoption to opt out as it will have red markings to warn me of the 'consequences'. Moreover all the services are calculated on a 12months basis, not one month or 3months.

I also wont get to use any of the services after my cancelling the a/c so how can iPAGE be so unreasonable and greedy to rip an innocent consumer off this way??

I feel this is outright robbing in a legal way.

Please, if anyone concern can help or advise me where to seek redress or complaint against iPAGE so that this Co cannot cheat other consumers any more hard earn money$$ and to refund me the full amount as promised on their website.
Complaint comments Comments (44)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

A  12th of May, 2010 by    +2 Votes
something happened to me I asked for a full refund after only being with there company for 5 days, they gave ma a song a dance routine and said we don't give back on options just the hosting you bought, well the options are a part of the hosting, go figure huh. STAY AWAY from Ipage.com you are better off getting a hosting company in a 3rd world country.
A  21st of Oct, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Hi...

I can say only that Ipage is only a bunch of thieves.

I paid for a ### service the ammount of $92 and only use them for less than 10 days and I decide to cancel. I request my money back and a stupid girl named Stephanie told me that Ipage only refunde me $20. Can you believe this ???.

What the f****. Is necesary to stop this kind of scams.

Please advert everyone you know that stay interested on Ipage. Ipage is only a scam. Ipage thieves your money if you decide to take any service with them. And the worst part is that the supposed reimbursement of money never happens.

Please, please, please... avoid to use Ipage. Ipage is a scam in all the senses.
N  21st of Oct, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Hi, its me again.

If anyone want to see proofs that Ipage is only a scam, just check the attached image.

Avoid Ipage and save your money.

In next days I will going to create a lot of blogs with more info about this. It is necesary to do everything to stop Ipage.
N  15th of Nov, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Maaan, thank Heavens, I was sooo close to purchasing this hosting service. I was basically about to put my credit card number and everything, when i saw this message. ipage are scammers. It sucks that you cant do monthly and its misleading to charge there customers for "extras" that they advertise as free. Its pretty obvious that guy rorroh is somehow tied to ipage so he should just be ignored. Ipage claims to be easy to use for beginners but then they just take advantage of them. Thats really too bad.
N  20th of Nov, 2010 by    +2 Votes
After 1 month with ipage i have to agree ipage is the worst host i have ever had the displeasure to use. their service is up and down like a $5 prostitutes panties, stay away, far away.
N  8th of Mar, 2011 by    +2 Votes
thank god for this forum. i will not be do any business with ipage.
A  3rd of Mar, 2012 by    +2 Votes
iPage.com is a total ###ing scam. they claim to have refunded me $154 but havent refunded a penny. Only an hour after getting a membership, I started to notice all of the "free benefits" were actually trials, really old and useless software. The customer service is not all that great either. Ive been communicating with them for the past 24 hours and theyve just given the run around, passing me off to other "specialists" and never giving me straight answers. And STILL I havent gotten my refund! Ripoff.
N  18th of Apr, 2013 by    +2 Votes
Asshoooooooooooooooooooooooles Mother###ers They keep putting my renewal option to Automatic + They charge extraordinarry fees that i never opted for and when you speak to them they want to charge you more for some reason.
A  7th of Mar, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I tried hosting with iPage, The tech support was insultingly bad and when I tried to cancel because I was sick of dealing with all the glitches and bad service they refused to honor their 100% money back guarantee.

Out of what I paid for their service I was refunded less than $9 of the total amount and I’m still fighting to get the rest.

If they were once a good hosting service I don't think they are anymore. Not recommended.
A  27th of Nov, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Too bad I learned about Complaints Board the hard way. Yesterday I oppened and account with iPage just to experience what you all have. Today I cancelled because I got scammed. They ripped me off $15... if not more... depending on what they will effectively refund in 7-10 days from today. I'm another victim of their scam scheme. I wonder how many hundreds of people do what we did... open an account... cancel it after discovering they are a scam ... and still have to accept a deduction of at least $15.
N  3rd of Dec, 2010 by    +1 Votes
My experience with iPage.com leads me to believe that it is shady at best and fraudulent at worst.
They say the offer a free trial, but they really don't. There are other charges they add in and they charge you a cancellation fee when you do try to cancel within the first month.
They tack on fees for many of their services, so be careful what you use.
They add their second year in your account and are poised to charge you for it.
They hide their full account charges from you and you stumble across them if you browse your "control" site thoroughly enough and if/when they let you know them, which seems to be when you want to cancel.
They update their fees on their site information but don't necessarily send you a notice about it.
Some of the services they offer for free are actually just links to sites who do offer them for free.
While using their site, I found it sluggish, hanging up, crashing, etc. when trying to learn to use their tools.
I've used computers for twenty years and created simple web pages for several years and found their resources too time consuming to be worth using at all.
Since they say their current tools are beta, it doesn't seem cost efficient to "test" their tools, be charged fees while doing this, and then have them change the way they work or find them totally useless to begin with.
Of all the web sites that I have chosen to give a chance, this is by far among the top of the worst in misrepresenting themselves, their fees, and quality of product.
When you do a search to check for their quality, you will probably come up with an enormous number of pages rating them well and singing their praises. There's a high probability that they own or have a hand in most or all of these pages that are promoting their site.
Thank you for this site that helps get out the truth about these types of companies.
Here's hoping that this information will help others make a choice in their best interests and avoid sites like this who seem to have a primary interest of taking your money and giving you little or nothing in return.
This company has changed my view about any real ability to determine the safety of a site or not. On all fronts, it appeared to be safe. I feel I was very sadly mistaken about this.
Beware of a site having too many praises.
All it takes is for the site to buy up some domain names and write itself a bunch of different positive reviews.
A  17th of Dec, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Agreed, iPage sucks. The best part is that they change their Terms of Service without notifying the customer at all. I just got dinged with a $35 cancellation fee after they renewed my account after I requested it not be done. My other account with iPage expires soon and I have set it not to renew... this time, I've got a screenshot to back me up when they charge my credit card anyway.
If you have an ipage account, I have to recommend canceling. The very least they could do is inform customers about changing their Terms of Service instead of their weasel-like inclusion of " This Agreement may not be modified or amended except by another agreement in writing executed by the parties hereto; provided, however, that these Terms of Service may be modified from time to time by iPage in its sole discretion, which modifications will be effective upon posting to iPage's Web site."
A  25th of Jan, 2011 by    +1 Votes
i switched from one.com to ipage, a mistake i will not soon forget.
i thought one.com's offering was too restrictive (only 1 mysql), so i looked for another host after being at one.com for two years without much problems (extept being a little slow at times).
So now i'm with ipage for only ten days now and i've already had TWO mysql database outages *_*. Unbelievable.
in fact Right now my forum is down due to "General Error : Can't connect to MySQL server "
I also discovered that they do not have a php cache like eaccelerator or Xcache, and their php version is only 5.2.12 which is out of date. i'll be giving them the benefit of the doubt for another few weeks but i think i'll have to go look for another host, even though my domain is now locked into the 60 day cannot move icann rule.
A  18th of Sep, 2011 by    +1 Votes
They actually are violating consumer protection laws by presetting payment accounts to "automatic payments". According to the Consumer Protection Code, they are required to get written or oral consent from someone in order to charge funds. Then they illegally use one's prior information, even if one had set one's payments to a one-time payment, and charge a person's bank/paypall account for "renewal". This is technically identity theft.

Both are very illegal acts. *Not to mention* that the contract one signs *DOES NOT* give them the right to automatically bill the customer. And yet, strangely enough, it *does* require the customer to 'waive one's rights to a juried trial'.

After illegally billing one for services - technically, under US law, one should not be required to pay and yet keep the services as a gift on the part of the giver - the company *then* charges 'cancellation fees' for a service one did not want in the first place. While the site claims the cancellation fees are 15$, there are also a number of other fees which they tack onto the cancellation fee.

Solution for those scr3wed by Ipage: READ THE CONTRACT. Then, argue with the customer service for a few hours when you're sitting down to watch a good movie and/or have the time. Point out to them that you did not give them written consent for their services, nor are you obligated to pay and that they illegally used your private information. Note: this only works for renewal fees. I'm not sure about the legality of extra charges for the add-on tools (yet). Finally, call/complain to the FTC for illegal use of sensitive information (identity theft) and violation of customer rights (Consumer protection laws).

Best solution: Never use Ipage.
N  8th of Mar, 2011 by    +1 Votes
thank god for this forum. i will not be doing any business with ipage.
A  6th of Jan, 2012 by    +1 Votes
They do have to cover the bills for the outsourced boardscanners, so stealing becomes an option. Though, you know, they're making a profit on that, too. SiteGuy, you're not very good at this job.
A  5th of Dec, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I had four websites with them. Each time I made sure the auto -renew was not clicked yet somehow they managed to pull monies out. Every time they did this, I would cancel my account and get them to refund my money.
December 5, 2012 once again they pulled out money and it made my account go into the negative and accrue $120 in overage fees. What was there initial response? Well it will be 48 hours to refund money and then they will send a letter to my bank asking them to refund the overage fees, but I would have to get all the information for them and then call them back.
This time around I have video showing me cancelling the auto-cancel and even my audio talking to them about my one account they did this two two or three months ago. Plus screen shots.
I am sending it to the BBB and NYS Attorney General.
They did, as I was typing this, say they would refund the amount, the original 108 bucks today within 30 minutes and not 48 hours.
I am still putting the package together to send.
They have repeatedly stole money from my accounts. They only return it when you complain.
Timothy Ferraioli
A  27th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Okay ipage will it works like this if you have a small site they will love you and you will like them. I it’s easy to use control panel, and they are up almost all the time. However If you have a site that uses a lot of memory they will shut you down quickly. I designed a lot of sites and i used a lot of server hosts, for example i have four sites with ipage.com for now. There terms of agreement states that they can shut you down when they feel like it. (User agreement part 18) They state that you may use as much memory as long you have it liked to the site that is a lie. The customer supports are rude and they may close the phone on you if they don't want to deal with your problem. Truly the only thing about this company they have a great control panel. My advice is to find other host for your sites. There is a lot of host that are better than ipage and cheaper. You can find a free one that will offer you more than ipage like http://www.000webhosting.com great for small sites or for cheap unlimited memory like http://www.hostinginsiders.com that will give you more than ipage ever will.
N  5th of Jan, 2012 by    -1 Votes
These are some very lame complaints to be honest lol. They seem to boil down to "They say it's $3.95 a month but that's only if you pay for an entire year! They say their website building tools are easy but I couldn't figure out how to use them! I cancelled my account and they said there would be a $15 cancellation fee! And they have automatic billing!! What a scam!"

For anyone considering any website hosting company, the biggest things to consider are:

1) Whether or not their site is always up--nothing worse than going to your website and finding out the servers are YET AGAIN down.
2) Whether or not their control panel/ftp is intuitive and easy to use.
3) Whether or not you can get a hold of someone in customer service within a reasonable time.
4) Whether or not the behind-the-scenes administrative stuff gives you a lot of options to work with to maximize your site's success.

I'm about to check out iPage for possibly hosting my site. I decided to check first and see if there were a lot of complaints about the things that truly matter (I'm not even slightly going to use their site building tools, don't need to). Right now I've been to two different "complaint" sites and the overwhelming complaint on both boards has been about that non-refundable $15 fee when cancelling within 30 days lol.
D  10th of Aug, 2010 by    -2 Votes
Reading over this, I can't help but laugh.

For starters, it's apparent you don't know how to make a website in the first place. You admitted to being an "IT idiot, " and that's perfectly fine, but you probably should have started out with a free hosting service first. All hosting services generally use the same layouts. iPage is no different, so it would have made your life a lot easier to get used to being behind the scenes before you did anything major.

Furthermore, you just need to know where to look for the Terms and conditions.

All their services are calculated for a year because just a month or 3 months wouldn't really give a very good idea of how much you'd be paying. Plus, with a base fee of $3.50, that's absolutely amazing! The extras are absolutely optional, and you could just easily cancel everything to stick with the base fee. Since you're (may I say?) IT challenged, you probably should go with what was recommended to you. My personal recommendation, however, is to ask friends and family for someone who is familiar with such a thing and ask them to help you manage your site. There are a few options that I would highly suggest, although at this moment I honestly don't remember what options were available.

You must realize that with many online purchases such as this one, it is impossible to give a refund. Such online transactions are uncontrollably easily exploitable.

On a note related to my last point and as a response to Chris, the options are absolutely not part of the hosting. They are simply additions to make your website a little easier to manage, but they do not affect the actual hosting itself. Your comment is furthermore very immature and severely lowers your credibility. Good day.

iPage is considered one of the best web hosting services available with virtually no complaints, especially compared to other hosts. I say get an IT buddy and try again. You won't regret it. ;)

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree