Intoxalock / Causing Engine Problems

I recently had the Intoxalock system installed in my 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis. My car ran fine until about a week after having it installed. First, it drained my battery because I was waiting for the state to issue my limited license. I decided that was my fault as I had it installed too soon. So I bought a new battery, but then my car started to run horribly. The engine was missing, my check engine light came on, and I was worried about getting home from work. I took it to the dealer that installed my Intoxalock (AMPT in Kasson, MN) and had them run diagnostics. They told me cylinders three and five were not firing properly, so I replaced my plugs and wires but to no avail. It still ran horribly. So I bought a new car, a 2004 Ford Taurus. I had AMPT move my interlock device to the Taurus and it ran fine for almost two weeks. And then the Taurus also had the engine light come on. I brought it to the dealer I got my car from, (Lowell's Auto in Dodge Center, MN) and after he hooked up his diagnostic machine I was told that the engine was misfiring on cylinder three. So I replaced the coil pack on that car, and it still is not helping. I can not afford to keep replacing parts, but I also can't run my car without an ignition device. It is very frustrating. My problem is I am not sure if it is the device, or the person that installed it. I would like to know if others have experienced my problem with this device or if it is maybe an error on the part of the installer? Either way, I am thinking I would like a different one installed as the current installer is the only one in the area that does Intoxalock. Is there a way to switch providers? I am pretty sure I am locked into a year contract with them though?

Je
Dec 31, 2015

Comments

• Li
      26th of Sep, 2018

Definitely go with another vendor intoxalock is known for messing up vehicles that is there #1 issue. It’s not the techs it’s the device itself.

• Ju
      12th of Oct, 2018

Wow I'am so happy that you wrote this, Believe it or not I just went thru the same thing exactly, with my 1998 Ford Explorer Sport in Phoenix Az. it has been bothering me alot because I do take care of my SUV. I figure being single I have to have a reliable ride. And since my interlock my truck has been missing and running like [censored]. Changed oil, filter, plugs, wires, and still got check engine light on. i would talk about to a couple friends and they would say "I don't think that a interlock from the court would be able to mess up your vehicle or they would have a ton of complaints" I think the court doesn't even hear any thing about it because if someone did think it was the interlock they would question the interlock place . I did and he said " i really don't think it's because of the interlock and it is a 1998" anyway i signed the papers to put it on, reread those and they are not responsible for any thing that goes wrong with your ride only the interlock it self.
    I understand I got my DUI and I am doing everything they ask, which is alot and alot of money, now even more to fix my SUV. but Thanks again because I thought it had to have something to do with the interlock, so because you had the same trouble it means "I am not Crazy"
    I just wish we could find out if others are having the same problem. Wishful thinking but maybe they would have to recall them.
    You Have A Great Day! Kat