Intelius / no product as promised!

Rochester, NY, United States Review updated:
4.85
Intellius charged me $19.90 to check on a phone number. They say they will do a full background check and provide information concerning that number. The ONLY information I got was a first name, no last name, and a validation that it is a phone line. I already knew it was a phone line and I thought you needed more than only a first name to get a phone number? I filed a complaint with them and they ignored it, I called and after twenty minutes of waiting I hung up. NO ONE should use this company they are a rip off!!!

Comments

Br
  22nd of Jan, 2008
Intellius is a complete ripoff. I did a background check a few months back,and I noticed 2 separate charges each month (for 3 months) for 14.95, each. One from pmidentity.com and the other from 24protectplus.com.

This is the kicker! I called each of the DIFFERENT 800 numbers on my credit card statement. Even though they are 2 separate numbers and look like 2 separate companies, I speak with the same PERSON! Her name was Ivan, with agent # 25528. She was "so sorry" about the charges and she gave me a credit for 3 months, each.

I bet a bunch of people don't even look at their statements until its too late.

I did not even sign up for those servcies!

what a scam!

brian
  30th of Jan, 2008
Intelius complaint here again. I paid $17 to look up a reverse listing on a phone number - they send me report with what looks like a first "nickname". No last name, and the number that I gave them - that was my report!

I requested a refund, TWICE, and finally heard back that they do not guarantee their information. SCAM if not FRAUD with these people.
Da
  28th of Feb, 2008
Intellius charged me $11.95 to tell me that they couldn't locate a cellphone number that I had given them. Before I even signed up for the service, they indicated that they had found a report for me regarding that number. Very misleading service and not trustworthy. Possible scammers.
Ho
  28th of Apr, 2008
Scammers, scammers, scsmmers...You just cain't trust anyone these days.. Take yer money and tell a lie...Shame, shame, shame...
Ro
  20th of May, 2008
This company is a scam. I was being charged by a company called 24 Protect plus. This caused lots of problems for me. They told me I signed up for this service by using Intelius. I relooked at Intelius's web site and I did not find any of this information about this service anywhere.
Ro
  20th of May, 2008
Oh I have one more thing to add. The information I got about the person I looked up was WRONG they had a street adderess for this person and the city for the street was not even the right city
Fo
  14th of Jun, 2008
After requesting a refund for a service they said they would provide and didn't the first response I got was that is was submitted for review blah, blah, blah...standard stuff. After a few weeks of not hearing anything or seeing a credit to my account I send a follow up email. Below is the a copy of the response I got...

"Your refund is on hold until further notice. Please do not e-mail again or we'll bill you again for the time spent responding to you asinine emails.

Regards,
Pushpa Guptar
Sr. Customer Service Specialist
Phone: (425) 974-6100
Fax: (425) 974 6194"

Of course I replied and said that they would be reported if I was charged a second time and that I expected a prompt and professional response in regards to my refund and this is what I got...

"Nah. I don't feel like it."

I will be sure to follow up with them and this board with the outcome of this. For anyone reading this that is thinking of using them...DON'T!!!
Rh
  5th of Aug, 2008
phone number or 411.com
whitepages.com
  26th of Aug, 2008
I had requested a reverse phone number. I got a response that it was a landline (which I knew) and a first name. I wrote requesting a refund since they didn't include a last name or address. I got a reply that my refund would be forthcoming. After a couple of weeks I e-mailed again to follow up. I got this nasty e-mail from Customer Service [custserv@gmail.com]: DUM DUMS DON'T GET REFUNDS!!!

Errrr, unless you fill out the attached form...

On the attached form was a clip art of (only way to say it) - A Pile of Poop.

So totally unprofessional. That's not even trying to be funny. This definitely has to be a scam. I'm sorry I put my personal information on the payment form.
  26th of Aug, 2008
to continue my prior complaint, when they responded with that horrible e-mail, I was out of the office and had a pop up indicating it. They responded to my out of office notice with this e-mail:

Sweet!!!. Would you like to take horsie with you? - and attached to that e-mail was a clip-art photo of a horse.

This is the caliber of intelligence at "Intellius."

They must have 2nd graders working at this place.
  6th of Oct, 2008
I requested a reverse cell phone look-up to find out who was being called on my stolen cell phone. I got a "deal". For 99 cents they would send me the information. I was then told that it was a cell phone number and the person being called was Dave. That was it. I figured "shame on me" for falling for this and it was only 99 cents. I received my credit card statement today and they charged me $19.95 to subscribe. I don't recall subscribing to anything. I wish I would have read these comments first. Doesn't sound like I'll get my "subscription" fee back.
Ja
  19th of Oct, 2008
After reading all this, I checked at Better Business Bureau - apparently the people above to threatened to complain have not. So, I requested that BBB do a report on this company. I don't know how long this takes and what the result will be, but hopefully Intellius will be on their radar now.
Ki
  11th of Nov, 2008
Intellius withdrew &19.99 from my bank account and I didnt purchase or subscribe to anything.
De
  17th of Nov, 2008
i was charged a 19.95 monthly fee i did not authorize that was charged to my credit card
  29th of Nov, 2008
Con artists -- hubby paid $2.75 to get a phone number. Two months in a row was charged $19.95. Had to change ATM card number to stop it.
  10th of Dec, 2008
Fraud, pure fraud. They charged me $52.00 for a back ground check with the S.S # of the person and the complete name so the can give me the adress, and the send me the report of about 25 different people. They said that they had the adress and phone number and I didnt get non of the info. that I requestedand paid for. I left them a message and have called them a few times but theres no answer back. Dont waste your money on these company they are a rip-off.
Bo
  6th of Jan, 2009
I requested information gave my cc# - it was charged but I never received the information I requested - Can't wait to give this information to my cc company - I will dispute any and all charges from Intellius.

BAD...BAD...BAD
Pa
  17th of Mar, 2009
THEY NEVER UPDATE THEIR FINDINGS. THEY GAVE ME AN EIGHT YEAR OLD ADDRESS. THEY CHARGE MY CARD MORE THAN THEY WERE SUPOSED TO.EVERY TIME I GO ON THE SITE A GET A DIFFERENT LIST OF THE PERSON IM LOOKING FOR
Ka
  27th of Mar, 2009
i will like to cancel this membership and a refund
Ch
  26th of Apr, 2009
The same thing happned to me, too. Intellius is bad news, so never give your cc number to these jerks.

Intelius Logo Intelius