[Resolved] Intelius People Search - www.intelius.com / intelius - beware it's a rip-off!

I paid $14.95 to this company Intelius for a reverse phone number search. They claim to have the latest records, but the record they gave me was at least a couple years out of date. It had a woman's name (the phone number actually belonged to a man), and they showed it as a land line but it was actually a cell phone. I contacted the company but they wouldn't give me a refund. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said one would call me the next day but no one ever did. Bad information and bad customer service, too. Save your money.

• Resolution statement

• Intelius Customer Care's Response, Oct 14, 2009

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

Vs

Comments

• Da
      21st of May, 2008

I just bit the dust too it said the nams and address was available on the search so i payed and it said all of that info was unavailable. I got scammed. So how do we get this online scammers to get off the net? Whos job is that? They should have been stopped a long time ago...

21st of May, 2008

Just for anyone that might not know, you can do your searches for free! reverse phone number look up and addresses! just check out the White pages web sight! No catches, no costs, no scams! I have used it for years!

• Th
      23rd of May, 2008

I feel i am another dope who just got duped! I also agreed to a$2.95 payment to locate my fathers address in florida and all i got was name and a very outdated address .Not only did they take out their $2.95 but they also charged me $19.95 for nothing because i left their site when i realized i had gotten nothing for my $2.95 to my family this is gas in my husbands car or milk for my children.I got charged money my family cannot afford! just because i trusted in a world of untrust and injustice.And all of this just because i wanted to find my father and let him know his youngest daughter was very very ill. Just a quick note to John M. i started my research by looking in the white pages web site and there is where i found my link to (PMIDENT-A-THIEF).

• Ca
      24th of May, 2008

They are a big company, with strong government connections, so that means that they can do whatever they want. It's just business.

And you can opt out. All you have to do is buy an account, so you can send them a copy of every page you want opted out, like if they have you listed several ways.

You'll stay opted out until the next time you buy something, etc, but if you keep paying them the money they want, they will keep opting you out over again, or at least they say they will.

If somebody finds you, it is not like you will be able to prove it was them who told anybody where to find you.

If you want protection bad enough, you come up with the money to pay for it and take your chances with them, or you take your chances with your family's safety.

• Ev
      24th of May, 2008

The Intelius, Inc. and Privacy Matters Group are nothing but a sophisticated scam company.
    Do not use them for anything.

Thanks to some of you for helping expose these companies.

Due to your suggestions, I have closed the credit card account I have so that they can no longer charge my account.

They charged my credit card account twice both times in the amount of $19.95.

My advise NEVER TO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

9th of Jun, 2008

Intelius are nothing but scammers. I used Intelius to reverse lookup a cellphone number ($4.95 charge), and then a few other $19.95 charges for APMIdentity.com or whatever showed up. Cancelled the credit card, filed a complaint with the BBB.

Complete garbage.

28th of Jun, 2008

I need to know how to retrieve my money back from intellius.

• Ni
      1st of Jul, 2008

I just recently was scamed by them. I used them 2 separate times to look up 2 different cell phone numbers that would continiously call my cell phone. I paid 15 one time and the nest time I paid 5 bucks.

Well just recently I noticed a $19.95 charge in my bank account from PMIDENITY.COM. Turns out Intelius gave them my bank card information without my permission. They then went ahead and took the money out of my checking account. I am WICKED pissed off about this.

I closed my account and spoke with my bank and we are in the process of trying to get my money back.

Intelius had NO RIGHT to do this to me and when I tried to contact them I got no answer.

Another person said they got an email from them with an attachment. They opened up the attachment and it was a steaming pile of poop. NO JOKE and actually picture of a steaming pile of poop.

DO NOT USE THEM THEY ARE A SCAM AND WILL CHARGE YOU FOR THINGS YOU DID NOT SIGN UP FOR AND GIVE OUR YOUR INFO TO OTHERS.

18th of Jul, 2008

Just got an email from this company saying I signed up with them and they are charging my credit card 49.95! I never even used there services and I wonder how they got my credit card number!
    Yikes! This is outright robbery!

28th of Jul, 2008

well ive been recieving charges from pmidentity.com for 19.95 a month and protect plus for 19.95 if intelius is behind this i will desroy their reputation to the fullest. Its not ok to charge someone without telling them and respecting their privacy.

• Br
      31st of Jul, 2008

i too pd intelius to do a email reverse, i called for help several times, they refused, finally they said clean my cookies so i did that, then it was one excuse after another, i never found the person but they had no problem finding my account, i have not been w/ them long enough to recieve a aadditional bill but sounds like i will, this was a very important person i needed to locate and all they did was waste my time.

• He
      2nd of Nov, 2008

I too fell for this scam. I paid for a simple phone look up and used my debit card. My bank account has been drafted for months now. They are drafting it under the name of ValueMax. I have seen the charge on my account...and I thought it was the local gas station I use. I finally cought it when I hadn't been to the gas station in a few days and the charge showed up again. Hopefully I will get my money back. Also...they say they offer you credit reports and other information as part of this program you signed up for (the ValuMax) charge. Funny because to send me a credit report...you would have to have my social security number...which I didn't give them.

A complete scam...and it is sad that so many prominant websites are allowing them to advertise on their sites. It gives you the illusion they are a secure and good site.

• Li
      10th of Nov, 2008

Beware! They charged me $19.95 for a subscription I never asked for. They gave me my money back but I believe they do this very often expecting people not to look carefully at their credit card bills and hoping we never notice the charge. They should be fined heavily for unauthorized use of peoples credit cards. They are thieves.

• Ca
      13th of Nov, 2008

I just got ripped off by Intelius, too. When I called their customer support staff, I got no help at all. So I asked for a supervisor, and that person, one Barb Embree, told me that she can't put through a credit at all. So I asked for the name of the president of the company. She gave me the guys' name backwards--didn't even know his first from his last name!

Good luck to anyone foolish enough to do business with this unscrupulous (and apparently stupid) company.

• Fr
      14th of Nov, 2008

Every time I use Intellius, there appears on my credit card an authorized charge for $15.99, which keeps appearing until I cancel the credit card. I don't know what it is for, but it is tied to logging on to Intellius. This time, my credit card company called me and asked me about it. I had to cancel the card again. I will never ever use Intellius again.

• Am
      2nd of Dec, 2008

A couple of weeks after doing a simple People Search (for only "$1.95"), we got hit with a one-time $0.95 charge and a $19.95 subscription that we didn't authorize. Now, they're telling me that they cannot locate the account in order to process a refund for those amounts.

Doesn't anybody monitor these kind of companies.

Buyer beware...DO NOT USE!

• Cn
      16th of Dec, 2008

DO NOT USE THIS OR ANY OTHER SO CALLED "PEOPLE FINDER" SITE!!!

I paid $30 for a 24 hour pass to track a couple family members I lost contact with. The info started to look odd so I looked myself up and a couple people whose current information I knew for certain. The information listed as MY current "confirmed" address and phone number hadn't been valid for over 10 years and my other info (previous address, etc) was completly bogus.

I called and sat on hold for 15 minutes and asked for a refund, to have someone tell me that the info is based on "public record" and might not be current and basiclly I was SOL becasue this is stated in fine print on the website somewhere. While holding, I found the comments about this so-called service on this website so I clearly stated "do not share any of my information or bill me for anything further - cancel everything". We'll see if some random charge shows up from these folks in a month and if I have to go for round 2 battling them to get money back. I was actually had better luck using the White Pages online... for FREE!

• Am
      11th of Jan, 2009

No good. I paid about $5 for an email address that didn't work. I really wanted to find this person. If they advertise the materials for a heavy price, they should at least check to see if it's up to date information. Don't use Intelius; it's a waste of money.

22nd of Feb, 2009

It is a number one fraudulent company. In the name of providing background checks, it basically takes advantage of one's fears. I had done a person check to look for an address of an old friend. They somehow with out my consent started billing me for some kind of ID protection services which I never asked for. They never even sent me emails that they were charging me for that every month.

• Wh
      16th of Mar, 2009

I cancelled my credit card also because they were charging me every month instead of refunding me back the original charge which they were never supposed to - I learned my lesson, becuase these guys aren't the only ones out there who do this