IKEA / return policy

Harbor Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA, United States Review updated:

Called Ikea to check on stock the website said they had 163 pair of drapes I needed.We drove 2 hours to get there, since we live in a remote area, but there were none in stock. Purchased something similar but when at home, they just weren't right. Finally had a day that I could take off from work, drive my 2 hours up to Ikea to return them, they would not credit them to American Express, since it was my husband's card that was used on our account. Joint Amex account, but wouldn't honor it. Wanted to give me store credit. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I WOULD WANT TO COME BACK, IKEA!?? WITH CUSTOMER DIS-SERVICE LIKE THAT I WILL NEVER SHOP IKEA AGAIN! I just want to know, really, how many people ask for their spouse's credit card for the day (and since my husbaInd uses it for work/travel and is gone for weeks, getting him to surrender it is IMPOSSIBLE! IKEA, YOU HAVE REALLY GOT TO GET REAL ABOUT RETURNS.

Comments

• Mo
      May 05, 2010

I am so frustrated because I bought some very expensive furniture for my new house from IKEA last week. When I went to assemble the new furniture I realized the room that I wanted to put the piece of furniture in was .5" to short for it to fit. With the craziness of moving I have misplaced the receipt. I am so upset because I always keep good track of my receipts. Without a receipt I can't even return or exchange an UNOPENED IKEA piece of furniture. How ridiculous is that? Now, I have try and sell a piece of furniture that I picked out so I can afford to buy another one that fits. IKEA please reconsider your exchange policy.

• Po
      May 15, 2010

Call the store call center. Ask the call center to transfer you to the actual store and speak to an after-sale rep. Get a name and a window of time this rep would be there and ask if he could search for your purchase in their system, as a favor. Ask what info they need in order to do so. In general, when a customer is nice when describing what their needs are, store rep would most likely respond positively and offer more help. Be pleasant. You would find they could be helpful when you are not nasty to them.

• Na
      Nov 02, 2010

I had a similar experience. I don't think the person is holding Ikea responsible for the lost receipt, I believe the complaint applies to Ikea's poor return policy.

I had the same experience and I was polite as was the representative with whom I spoke. The fact is Ikea does have the technical capability to confirm a customer's purchase if the purchase was made with a credit card or bank card. The fact that Ikea refused to do so shows poor regard for the individual consumer.

I hope this customer relays her/his experience to friends, family, co-workers, etc. You will find you will reach dozens of consumers. This is what will change Ikea's return policies, not friendly calls where one hopes they will speak with a representative who is willing to help.

• Po
      Nov 08, 2010

Maybe the stock was at a different location?

Anyways, what they did regarding requiring the exact card (and name) to apply the refund is very common. To call that unfair is pretty stupid.

• Sh
      Dec 30, 2011

Customer seems angry that she bought the wrong item and had to return. And I've never known a store to give a refund when one doesn't have the card on which the charge was made. I've shopped at IKEA, and sometimes the stock is in a place other than where you'd expect it. If I can't find something, I find an employee to help...especially if their computer says the item is in stock.