Iberia / Terrible customer service!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

We traveled with Iberia from London Heathrow to Guatemala City via Madrid in November 2006. Our flight from London was delayed because the air crew did not arrive in sufficient time to clear security. On arrival in Madrid, Iberia staff made little or no effort to help us make our connection. In fact, we think they deliberately delayed us. Non-connecting passengers were allowed off first. We were then bussed to the international terminal only to be delayed further as the security gate was locked.

When we eventually arrived at the departure gate, our plane was still on stand. But we were not allowed to board as Iberia claimed our luggage had not been transferred. This was proved to be a lie when a first class passenger with no hold luggage was also denied boarding.

Two other passengers on our holiday actually made the connection by alighting with the non-connecting passengers and a bit of queue jumping. However when they boarded the plane, they found their seats had been reassigned to other passengers. The only possible inference is that we were denied boarding as the flight had been overbooked. Were the delays simply a ruse to avoid paying compensation for bumping we wonder?

We have written and emailed Iberia's customer relations department in Madrid. The Air Transport Users Council has also written to them 3 times on our behalf. But 18 months have elapsed, and we have still not heard from them. And it is impossible to get through to a human being on the phone.

No reputable company would treat customer complaints in such a way.

Pe

Comments

• Gr
      25th of Jul, 2008

TERRIBLE SERVICE. Sold put connection ticket and lost my bad for 40 hours. Didn't seem to care either. Please, spend the extra money and fly with someone else!

• Gr
      25th of Jul, 2008

TERRIBLE SERVICE. Sold our connection ticket and lost my bag for 40 hours. Didn't seem to care either. Please, spend the extra money and fly with someone else!

• Em
      31st of Aug, 2008

I traveled on Iberia Airlines on August 27, 2008. When I got to the airport in Madrid for my flight to New York, I was told my flight was overbooked . My flight number was 5261. I was put on flight 5263. I was told my luggage would come with me on the flight. I had to wait two days to receive my luggage. I was also told I would get a travel voucher or money because I was bumped off the flight. I was told to go to the iberia web site. I can't seem to get to customer service or compensation. Please advise me what to do about this.
    Emily Shindler

• Li
      22nd of May, 2009

bought airline ticket with despegar.com.mx on may 4th going to lyon (fra) from mexico city with a specific schedule. After a while and not receiving confirmation regarding my flight and paymente I contacted customer service to learn that my flight was canceled and that they would send me a mail regarding my situation. Again, after days of not receiving mail from them, i contacted them again and insisted to have this mail rightaway while on the phone with them to make sure I ll receive total atention from them. At that moment i realied that their service could not be trust. After reading my new schedule, I was satisfied with it and decide d to operate cancelation. Unfortunalty, impossible thing to do as the tickets are not refundable, even thougt the changes are not coming from me but despegar.com.mx. With no opcions, I have to get going with the new flight schedule. Again, with a poor, very poor customer service (and i choose carefuly my words) a supervisor named Selene Zamudio contacted me to advise my new schedule with numbers and codes that I can even guess the meaning of it. Till today, I still havent receive a confirmation payment with despegar.com.mx and I am requesting a clearer and more understable flight itinary and schedule. Since despegar mexico has no interes to do their job I m contacting anywone who can help with those requests.
    I am a cliente, i paid a service and Im not getting it. Its obvious, that despegar.com.mx are not trained and have no interest in doing a good job with care for clientes. the worst thing is the people in charge of those very same people dont seem better.
    Im quiet preoccuped for my flight as I ve been discovering on the net that many negative comments are surroundind despegar.com.mx and its poor quality service. Im flying soon, and as a paying customer I want to be sure that I wont have any problem.
    So again, hopefully, someone will answer my questions.
    thanx for your attention