Hydro One / new hydro meters

1 41 John St., P.0.Box 585New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 705-647-4183

Hi, my name is Mrs. Shirley Noel i have a big issue with these new hydro meters that they are putting on our homes. The bills have doubled since then, even when we cut back on everything still the bills go up. I haved spoken to someone who works with meter readings in Mississauga that i know and he has told me that those meters have a defect in them. When faced to the sun they spin more causing us to pay for more electricity. They have been removed in some areas because people knew were to complained. What can we do. Any adviced would be appriciated. Thanks

Comments

• Mc
      17th of Feb, 2010

I agree 100%, Ever since my new meter was put in my hydro has almost doubled...even though we have been watching our hydro consumption! I believe we are being cheated, I have called and they have assured that everything is fine but it is not adding up!

• Wa
      14th of Mar, 2010

We are walking in to Hydro One's corporate office tomorrow to complain - Shirley Noel's comments have shown us there IS a defect in the new Smart Meters - our cottage Hydro One bill has tripled during the winter months when NO ONE IS THERE and the heat is sitting at 10 degrees C...and since the new meters were installed.

And the same for our cottage neighbors - their bill has gone up 7-fold over this winter and they are not there either. And it is because the leaves are gone on the trees, the smart meters are exposed to the sun, it's been a sunny warm winter, and we are being billed for a sunny winter.

OUTRAGEOUS - the press needs to know this. Who else has evidence - this is NOT right and our government needs to fix this asap.

Wendy and The Cottage Gang...

• Ri
      11th of May, 2010

Please contact me from my blog: h1ripoff.blogspot.com. Starting a class action against Hydro One.

• Wt
      12th of May, 2010

From Jun.4, 2003 to May 20, 2009, according to Hydro One's ACTUAL meter readings we used a total of 939 kWh in our Muskoka cottage. On May 20 they installed a smart meter and from then until Mar.2, 2010 the actual reading was 4335 kwh. How can it take 6 years to use 939 and only 10 months to use 4335?

They're trying to get away with it by telling me the old meter was faulty and that the new one has been tested and is working fine. Oh how lucky I am to have had such cheap energy for so long, they say. They're being really generous by not coming after me to collect on all that cheap electricity, they say. Of course, the old meter is long gone now and can't be independently tested. They sound like arrogant criminals to me.

What's worse is I feel I have absolutely no recourse!

• Ri
      12th of May, 2010

WTW yes you do. Contact me through the blog at h1ripoff.blogspot.com. For a post on this very excuse see: http://h1ripoff.blogspot.com/2010/04/old-mechanical-meters-were-inaccurate.html

• De
      7th of Feb, 2011

Since our "SMART Meter was installed our usage has risen to a point where I am getting frustrated with Hydro One
    Our furnace, stove, water heater and clothes dryer are all gas fired and my wife and son and grandson live in the house.
    They are claimimg that in November 2010 we consumed 100 Kw hrs and in Dececember 2010 2100 Kw hrs.
    would contacting Measurement Canada help because I am positive that there is something wrong with the meter.
    I have had no luck discussing this with Hydro one and am wondering if another government agency would help

• Me
      31st of Mar, 2011

Have rental property with 2 apts in same bldg, at beginning of Dec separated hydro & put new meter in for 2nd apt. Dec/Jan bill on new meter with NO renter, fridge unplugged, heat @ 10C, no phantom draw...3x's what the bill was for Oct/Nov both apts fully occupied with laundry facilities, kitchen appliances, hot water usage, lighting, heating & assorted entertainment units going normally!!! Hydro's response - check out their suggestions for reducing my usage...any more reduction I'd have to throw the main switch OFF!!!
    Totally outragious our government should be supporting us against this monopoly!

• Hi
      26th of Apr, 2011

COMPLAINT!...ever since the operation of our illegally installed so called smart meter has started it renders my wireless driveway alarm useless...false triggers as smartmeter transmits its signal by Microwave . This alarm was an expensive unit and has worked very well up to the time the smartmeter was put into service. I cannot understand why HYDRO ONE can istall a microwave device on my property without my signed permission!...I have worked with two -way radio equipment for many years and am a licensed tecnician since 1969...

LW ...Strathroy, Ontario

• Da
      12th of May, 2011

My bill has doubled since the Smart reader. I live in a single home and work Monday to Friday 5 days a week. My bill is over 300.00. What does an average family have to pay? This is really bad.
    What can be done about this?

• Sm
      5th of Nov, 2012

I live in a 700 sq ft apt. my hydro bill every two months is around $500 with no air conditioning and no heat, in the winter I freeze half to death but if i were to turn on my heat I am afraid I would end up homeless! these prices should be criminal.