Hughesnet's Fair Access Policy / fair access poliy details - scam

Hughesnet has an implemented Fair Access Policy (FAP) that when triggered will slow your speeds that YOU PAY FOR down to close to around 56k uplink speed. That means on their Home plan, you're paying $60/month for a certain speed but you're getting less that what you paid for. The worst thing about it is that in their FAQ (frequently asked questions) board, they suggest "upgrading" your service, which is about $15-20 for the next level of service, for only a minor increase in the download bandwidth. You only seem to get a decent download limit once you reach around $120 / month.

Hughenet is seemingly only satisfactory for the wealthier group (those who can afford their highest package) or for the less internet savvy group who only goes online for e-mail and informational searches. For those of us who like to download (whether it be illegal or not, that's up to you) such files as anti-virus programs, updates for our favorite programs, webcasts and the what not, it is totally unacceptable. Their justification for such downgrades in speed is an unrestricted download time between 3AM and 6AM.

To show the severity of their plans compared to the Fair access policy
I have added links to their FAQ site and pricing plan as well as their "Fair Access Policy" download limit page. I encourage all of you to read this thoroughly before deciding on Hughesnet,

Fair Access Policy - http://www.22hughesnet.com/fapolicy.cfm?hf=0

Pricing Plans - http://www.22hughesnet.com/plans.cfm

Fair Access Policy FAQ - http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/fap_faqs.htm

FAQ (regarding typical speeds) - http://www.22hughesnet.com/faq/internet-connection-speeds.cfm

A  4th of Feb, 2010 by
I have had problems with this also but can not get any help. I do not download videos, software, etc. yet every month they have slowed me to an almost complete stop until I purchase a $5 "token". I had safety downloads that need to be done and will have to stay up one night to do this.

What can we do to fight this and who can we turn to? This is a scam to get more money from us. I live on a fixed income and the monthly bill is over my limit as it is even though I have the "Home" plan.

Please, someone let us know who we can contact. Thank you for your help.
A  19th of Apr, 2010 by
We had Hughes before this was implemented. What a pain in the ***?!!! It's almost impossible to download software updates without getting up in the middle of the night to use the "free" time. Don't buy into Hughes.net!
We have been looking for an alternative and don't want to go with cable. There aren't many options where we are.
A  8th of Nov, 2011 by
I've been a HughesNet customer for over 6 years and never had this problem until recently. I was away from home and did not use the HughesNet at all for two months but still paid over $70 per month for the service. So when I finally got home and watched two newer episodes of Law and Order SVU online and suddenly everything slowed to a crawl. I could hardly log on at all and when I did I would have to wait a long time to open my mail or look at anything. When I signed the contract I was told I had unlimited minutes and speed with the Pro plan I chose and now they want to go back on that. Seems to me like this is a breach of contract. I went with HughesNet because I live in a remote area and that was the only service I could get. Now I can get internet service bundled with my phone service for less than just the HughesNet Pro plan. I had not planned to change from HughesNet, but when somebody takes advantage of me I no longer have any use for them. Anyone up for a class action lawsuit? I can be reached at heathepw@yahoo.com

Hughes Network Systems Logo Hughes Network Systems