Hughesnet / hughesnet internet service and speed

1 Cottonwood, AZ, United States

Case # [protected]
My detailed complaint is as follows:
I began my service with Hughes Net on Sept. 2, 2016. We were assured by Hughes Net personnel in person and over the phone that we would have high speed internet and I would be able to conduct my work on line without trouble. I am a professor at Arizona State University and I do teaching on line therefore I will occasionally need to have group meetings with students on line. I also have 3 teenagers and a husband who use the internet. I was again assured that Hughes Net service would be sufficient for my family and work. Unfortunately, the internet was so slow that I could not effectively conduct my responsibilities for online teaching as a professor. After multiple complaints from students and my family, I contacted Hughes Net on 11/2/16 and asked to disconnect service. I spoke with a service person and was told I would have to pay a cancellation fee of over 200.00. This was not acceptable as there were mitigating circumstances for my cancellation. I asked to speak with a supervisor (Trixy) who informed me that the company would not waive my cancellation fee as I did not cancel within 30 days. I explained to her that I wanted to give the service a fair chance however my work was suffering and I could not continue with the service. I had no other course of action but to cancel and go with something faster. She was seemingly uninterested in my plight and told me I would be charged the cancellation fee regardless of circumstances. I was also told that I would receive a return kit and if I did not return it within 5 days I would incur a fee of $50. As of 11/14/16 I had not received the return kit. I called back to Hughes Net customer service and spoke with "Carl". I was told that I would not receive a return kit until between Dec 2 and 10. I do not recall being advised of that during my phone conversation with "Trixy". I also asked again about the cancellation fee. After a long hold, he came back on the line and apologized however I would have to pay the fee and it would be automatically taken out of my account. I was not in agreement with this therefore I asked how this could be avoided. He stated that in order to avoid the automatic withdrawal he would have to switch me to paper billing which would cost an additional $5.00! Keep in mind that I had endured multiple times of being placed on hold and multiple apologies for having to be on hold. I asked him to send me a paper bill and he then informed me that I would have to get my husband on the line to OK this action...my husband was at work and not available and he had already given permission to cancel the service. I simply wanted a paper bill to be sent to my address. Perhaps it would be beneficial to have your representatives explain early on that they must deal with the account owner if any changes are being made. I offered this suggestion to "Carl" and he acknowledged that he would pass this suggestion along. I also noted that he must apologize quite often every day to customers. He actually stated that yes, he did. This is certainly unfortunate not only for the employees but for the company itself. "Carl" abruptly hung up on me in the middle of a sentence. I find this type of mishandling of business completely unacceptable. As a professional, I believe in conducting business with the belief that the customer should be treated in a fair and respectable manner. I felt neither with this company. I experienced slow internet service, poor customer service and felt used and lied to by this company. I formally request that my cancellation fee be waived. I am prepared to pursue this request until an amenable agreement can be made.
Monica Rauton