Hughesnet / fair access and termination

I have been a stupid customer of first direcway and now hughesnet when I moved in february 07. I was hoping I didn't need it, but since i'm rural, I still did. It is the worst possible service in the history of the internet - they never tell you about their "fair access policy" until you go over your limit and your connection speed degrades to below dial-up. I go over the limit because my computer sometimes downloads system software - which exceeds their max. If you complain, you get told its your fault, and their is nothing you can do for 24 hours. I did just get told that there is now no limit if you download between 3and6am est!

Hughesnet is a rip-off. 4-6 times the price of dsl or dial-up. They have us without other options at their own will, they make up rules as they go along, without any notice and without any option to their customers to back out because of their service. If you are unhappy with their service - tough - you were stupid enough to get sucked into their false advertising and high-speed promises!

I can not wait for dsl to make it to me, my hughesnet dish will be on the curb as soon as possible. If you are thinking about getting hughesnet - don't unless you are like me and need it for your job, because dial-up just won't work. Its not worth the expense!!

Comments

• Yo
      16th of Dec, 2007

I have always been happy with DirecWay / Hughesnet. Their service and equipment worked as I expected for many years. Anytime a service issue would arise they handled it within 5 days max. at my house.
    My problem is with the new fair access policy. There is nothing fair nor unbound about this. If you go over some obscure limit within 24 hours, you loose service for 24 additional hours.
    I use my service heavily 2 days a week. The first day all is well. The second day, snail service. God forbid, I need to take a university test online, the second day. Three times last semester I had to retake a test because of Hughe$Pot. The professor said that it is my responsibility to provide a reliable internet connection. I pay for Hughe$Crap and I have to go 20 miles to take a test at the library. The library uses cable.
    All in all for me, HughesNet was GOOD until they became FAIR. Now they are just plain FAIR

• Ni
      31st of May, 2008

I've had hughesnet for about 6 months now and I would NOT recommend it to anyone. I keep hoping DSL will eventually be available to me and I'm going to dump Hughesnet like a bad habit. I know I'll probably have to pay a termination fee, but it'll be worth it to get away from Hughesnet!