HSBC Credit Card / cancelled without notice

As an HSBC Credit Account holder, I received notice my card was cancelled due to inactivity. No notice was given or warning which would have prompted myself and hundreds of others to use the card. When I called to get an explanation, I was challenged by the rep "Diane." She wouldn't answer my questions and wouldn't listen to my concerns. I asked how long the 'inactivity' period was (which should be a standard term within the corporation) and not only could she not tell me the answer, but with an attitude replied with trivial and challenging questions and a condescending tone. I asked where I could find the information (as in a pamphlet/card holder agreement) and she kept saying "well you have to read the letter you got." That was not the question or concern.

She was clearly having a bad day; however, it is NEVER okay to challenge customers and answer their questions with an answer not relevant to the question. I kept clearly restating my question, then she told me it wasn't my information to have since my account was closed. This is the public information on a publicly traded company, that any and all consumers, current and prospective, have the right to read before deciding to do business with. I calmly stated, surely you must have some information for the hundreds of people like me calling upset about this. I am sure many people are calling upset and all we want is an explanation in the form of a corporate policy. Rudely she replied with a giggle, "Actually, most people [calling] are quite happy about this and are relieved..." Any intelligent educated person can say a few things: 1) this comment was intended to be snide, 2) customers are NOT calling to say 'thank you', 3) people are not happy.

Diane should have had a better attitude, should be able to educate me on the policy, and should be able to tell me what pamphlet (of the many I have through the years) I can reflect to for the info on the rights HSBC has (including that of closing my account).

HSBC is struggling as a financial institution and is hurting.

Closing inactive accounts is ignorant in this financial time. As customers are hurting financially, they rely on credit in turn giving companies like HSBC business/interest. People will NEVER use HSBC again after this experience. This could have been alleviated with a note or email with: “due to inactivity, we will be closing your account in 30 days.” In its place, customers get “account has been closed.” What happened to ethics, better business practices, retention & customer service?

Comments

• St
      25th of Feb, 2009

I had the same experience with HSBC. My customer rep was named "Jan" (which was clearly not her name, but I digress). I did get that my account was inactive for only 3 months and that was the reason they closed the account.

I actually had an online savings account and a few other financial matters with them and in the past week have closed all ties with them due to their rudeness and poor judgment.

• Br
      17th of Mar, 2009

I use my HSBC card all the time...I pay my balance at the end of the month and I just paid it off with the payment post date of today...I logged in to make sure it did in fact post as of today. And yes, yes it did. But I looked at the top of my log in account statement, and it says account closed! It says nothing about why...I sent an email afraid that if I were to call I would get a rude person from another country..(.even though my tax payer dollars are bailing them out of debt.) And when a CSR is rude to me it tends to get under my skin and I find it hard to hold back what I'm thinking. So we will see what this email has to say if anything. I will never do business with them again. In the past few months I lost my job and I have been living solely on this card...it was my only one... I'm a single mother of 3...so needless to say I am very upset about this!

20th of May, 2009

You're not a single mother of 3. Crazy.

Sam,

You are not a widow. You are a kidnapper.

20th of May, 2009

Quit complaining. Do what is right. Quit hiding my wonderful Son. This game ends now. Things are going to change for you, Sam. You have done our Son so wrong for so long. It is time.

21st of May, 2009

I bet that your credit isn't even yours. The love of children, I guess you wished something nice would happen. It will not. NOT While Ethan is on watch. How can you live with yourself? Thanks for doing so much hurt.

• Mi
      15th of May, 2011

Of all the credit cards I have had, HSBC is the worst credit card company of all of them. They cancel and lower credit limits for no reason and when you ask them, all you get is some foreign operator that knows nothing above and beyond what is on their computer screen. There is no sense in calling. Stick with a credit card from Capital One as they seem to be the best credit card company out there.

• Ti
      17th of May, 2011

I usually paid payments several months ahead and then receive notices in my email and know when to schedule some more. I had totally forgotten about it due to the fact that we were building a house and my account became past due. I went to make a payment only 3 days past the due date and noticed my account was cancelled. They had periodically been lowering my limit which I didn't like but I didn't owe much anyway. I had points on this card for a GM vehicle over 800 of them and now they are gone. I will NEVER have another HSBC account again.