Hotwire Trip Insurance / complete scam

1 MN, United States Review updated:

Hotwire insurance through Allianz Global Assistance is a complete scam. I purchased the insurance as protection against bad weather that was coming. The event was in fact cancelled, but when I went to activate the insurance I purchased, the back pedaling began almost immediately. They cited armed insurrection, government overthrow, acts of God, you name it - to wiggle out of the insurance. Upon asking for proof in writing that weather was not covered [which seemed silly as that is a major reason for event cancellation], they found a clause on the 11th page of the small-type legal rider. Bottom line, unless the airline or a hotel were to cancel an event, you are not covered...EVER. Looking on the web, it seems as though there are thousands that have realized this too late, but HOTWIRE keeps touting they have 'trip insurance.' My question would simply be - insurance against what? If I had an unforeseen medical condition - I might be covered. If 'life happens' and bad weather, vehicle malfunction, event cancellation occurs - you're left holding the bag. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY from Hotwire insurance. It's a huge scam.

Th
May 7, 2013

Comments

• Wi
      7th of May, 2013

"Looking on the web, it seems as though there are thousands that have realized this too late"

perhaps you should have researched this prior to buying the insurance?

• Ac
      8th of May, 2013

Dear The Gar,
    I am sorry that the travel insurance you purchased did not cover your specific situation. While we have designed our products to cover the most common unforeseen situations our customers might encounter, not all events and situations are ones which trigger coverage in our insurance programs.

We want consumers to make an informed choice when it comes to purchasing insurance, which is why we provide a link to review the policy’s terms and conditions with purchase. With this link, we offer a 10-day free look, so should you review the document and decide the coverage doesn’t work for you, you can get a full refund for the policy before your event.

If you have further questions about the outcome of your claim, or would like someone to walk you through the policy you purchased in full detail, please don’t hesitate to call our customer service line at 1-800-284-8300.

Regards,