Home Depot / bogus gift card

1 Hoover, AL, United States Review updated:

Three weeks ago, I purchased a new Maytag washing machine from Home Depot. At that time, there was a Maytag-sponsored promotion (funded by Home Depot) in which rebates in the form of Home Depot gift cards would be sent to buyers who made qualifying purchases of select models. The amounts were from $25 up to $250, depending on model.
I made the purchase (the gift card, by the way, was not one of the factors, by the way), submitted the rebate request online, and received the $25 Home Depot gift card a few days ago.

Today, I went to Home Depot to get a few items and attempted to pay for the purchase with the gift card. The total amount of the purchase was $21. The gift card was rejected.

According to the cashier, there was no available balance on it. Even a call to the store manager couldn't get the thing to work -- despite the fact that the sticker covering the PIN had been removed BY THE CASHIER, so they KNOW I hadn't used it before this. The cashier said I needed to contact the issuer of the card (which is ridiculous because it's issued by HOME DEPOT).

I tried to call the customer service number listed on the letter that had carried the card, but all it is is a "status" number -- there is no support for complaints or inquiries.

Comments

• Pr
      19th of Feb, 2014

This does not surprise me. Had this happen with $100 gift card I gave friend as wedding present. Luckily I had receipt & spent hours resolving at the store when he tried to use it & it showed 0 balance. Very embarrassing. Husband just left local Home Depot less than an hour ago & tried to use $25 gift card our son gave us several years ago that we have never used. Shows 0 balance so they rejected. We've never used card. I always cut up card after use or place receipt with card if I have used it partially and have any remaining balance. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HOME DEPOT GIFT CARD & will ask all my children to avoid purchasing same in the future. Total rip offs. You can go to their site & check balance, but if they never loaded the correct amount to the card to begin with, when initially activated, zero will always remain zero...bunch of ###s.