Home Decorators Collection / Scam and rip off

1 United States

In October I ordered a divided 2-compartment laundry hamper from the Home Decorators Collection website. The reason I ordered from this company was because I was looking specifically for a hamper with 2 or more compartments and they were the only place that advertised what I was looking for. When a package arrived from Home Decorators I opened it and discovered it was the wrong item--a very shoddy laundry hamper with only one compartment I notified the company immediately that they had sent the wrong item. I initially said I would still accept the correct item if they would send it out. Of course they never sent me the correct item. Instead, I got back an email from the company that contained an empty apology along with a preposterous offer: if I would keep the item I did not order and did not want, they would give me $3 off my purchase price plus a $5-off coupon to order more merchandise from them. Naturally I declined the offer and insisted on a full refund. I was still kind enough to offer to drop off the unwanted package if they would send me a pre-paid return label so that I wouldn't be stuck with postage. They refused to send me a return label. Their next ploy was to promise me repeatedly that someone would come to my office and pick up the package to return it to the manufacturer. Needless to say, no one ever turned up to pick up the package. To date, over three months after I placed my order, they are still holding my money for an item I never received and refusing to issue a refund. I have notified the Better Business Bureau but want to get the word out to as many places as possible so no one else will make the same mistake I did in ordering from this company.