Holsted Jewelers / Free Jewelry Scam

251 East Laraway, Joliet, United States Review updated:

My friend lives in an Assisted Living Facility. She got a card in the mail from this scam company. She thought she was getting a "free" ring that she would only have to pay shipping costs on. She got that, became ill and has been in the hospital and a rehab facility for a month. I have access to her checking account and went online to pay a bill for her and discovered charges from Holsted that she had no idea would be taken out of her account. When I called them they said that she had become a part of their "jewelry collection club" and that it was plainly stated on their paperwork. It looks to me like they are targeting elderly folks who can't see the "fine print" if it even exists. They had sent earrings that they deducted almost $60 for. This is costume jewelry to begin with. I found several other pieces of mail from them in her mailbox. Nothing is stated about a membership in a club. They wanted me to return the earrings before they would refund the money to her account. I informed them that not only was she a senior citizen, living on a disability income, but that her disability was mental - that they were taking advantage of a mentally disabled person and that she needed the funds replaced immediately. They did agree to do that, within 3 business days and today is only the second day, but they will not refund the shipping charges. Some people have no morals, no scruples and should not be able to operate a business if all they are doing is targeting and scamming people who aren't capable of avoiding their immoral practices.

De
Jan 29, 2015

Comments

• Sc
      30th of Jun, 2015

I received an offer from this company in the mail. I called gave them the code that was inside the card, the lady took my info(including my credit card #). Switched me over to a supervisor to confirm and she gave me all the info on the two rings(that I was supposed to receive) with other offers from them.By the way I also received in the card a Walmart gift card for $50 certificate that I was to call to activate. NO SUCH THING! I received an envelope about 4 days later with a bunch of coupons from budget savers. I called to activate the Walmart card They said I have to get 3 free magazines fora trial period of thirty days . I wasn't interested because I had to wait for the magazines to call another # to get this card!!! TWO WEEKS later still haven't received any rings. so I called to cancel spoke to two customer reps who told me they never billed my card( which was taken off 2 wks ago when I placed the order) $3.99 shipping&processing fee. But the customer reps told me the order was never placed, BUT THEY REPEATED THE LAST FOUR DIGITS OF MY CARD.PLEASE IF YOU RECEIVE THIS SO-CALLED GIFT IN THE MAIL…….RUN TO YOUR GARBAGE!!!