HMS National/Homegard / Terrible service - don't use!!

Jul 31, 2015
HMS National/Homegard
Shortly after moving into our new house the first week of June 2015, our ice maker stopped working. I called HMS to place a claim and a few days later Sears came out to inspect it. They determined a faulty valve caused it to malfunction and would submit the information to HMS. Late July I haven't heard one word from HMS so I decide to call to get an update. The customer service representative told me that HMS had decided that since the valve was no longer available that they have given us the option to replace the refrigerator. They gave me Monogram 42" Stainless Steel (model # ZISS420DHSS) and told me to review it on www.GEappliances.com to see if it suited our needs. I reviewed it and called HMS back to say that it was acceptable and to proceed with replacement. 2 days passed and I called to get an update. To my surprise I was then told that my claim was reviewed further and the decision to replace it was an error and that it was being denied due to being a "pre-existing condition." The brochure we were given at closing shows that unknown pre-existing conditions are covered so go figure. The supervisor I spoke to was not helpful and refused to investigate my claim and honor their promise to replace my refrigerator. I have filed complaints with the BBB, the Ohio Attorney General's office and am about to contact local media. If you are thinking about buying an HMS warranty think again. You will get the run around and will never get any large appliance repaired or replaced. Stay away from this company!!