Hewlett Packard / Tv Md5880n / bad television!

I bought a 58 inch Hewlett-Packard HD DLP tv in March of 2006. the model is md5880n. It had a one year warranty, that expired in March of 2006. I paid about $3800.00 for the television.

The tv picture went bad on July 31, 2007. I called HP and they scheduled in home repair for August 2, 2007. The cost for the repair person to come to my home was $250.00.

The repair person, after talking with HP tech support, said it needed 3 parts, a $300.00 bulb, another part for about $800.00 and a third part for about $2900.00. The total cost of the parts to repair were more than the original cost of the television. Needless to say, I did not have the set repaired and now do not have an HD TV.

Base upon my previous experience with HP printers, I thought the TV would be of good quality. That was not the case, and I will never buy another product from Hewlett Packard.

Comments

• Mi
      16th of Oct, 2007

I too have one of these sets and while they do perform very well, they are also notorious lemons. I just had my first major problem with mine and looks like I'll soon be stuck with a $3800 boat anchor as mine is also out of warranty. I had what I believe was a purely cosmetic problem though, one day out of warranty (there was some bubbling up on the front door near the lamp, from the heat I suppose). I called HP and even though I was only one day out of warranty and the door must be a fairly inexpensive part, they refused to budge. It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many people having horrible problems with this unit, especially when they are just not very old. A $3800 television should last longer than 18-24 months. See the thread here for a laundry list of folks having problems: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=592933&page=307

Apart from the md5800n, I also had an HP laptop that I bought about a year prior to the TV and it has been a lemon as well (I won't go into it, other than to say that HP ended up downgrading my video card because they finally admitted that the original high end video card produced more heat than the system could deal with). I have to conclude that this company is not a producer of quality products. I will be avoiding HP and Compaq products like the plague from this point forward and I would advise others to do the same. They used to make good printers, but I have heard of bad experiences with recent models of those as well.