Hertz Italiana Spa Roma / incorrect charged of 150€ after 5 months

1 Portugal Review updated:

Last december I went to italy and rented a car at termini stazione ffss - railway station. I went to pisa and return to rome were a deliver the car. The car was paid by credit card and at january of 2010 it was charged. At that point everything was ok, but then, at may of 2010 I received a leter of the bank charging me 5 times 30€. Three times at 05-05-2101 and two times in 20-05-2010. Those charges were made by the hertz italiana spa roma.

I don´t know why they are charging me that amout. It's five charges of 30€.

What should I do?

Comments

30th of Aug, 2010

Hey Pedro,
    So what has happened? Did you get any explanation why they charged your card? Have they refunded you?
    A similar thing happened to me.
    I hired a car from Hertz, Rome. I had booked and paid for a car in advance and arrived in Rome with a voucher for the full rental. When we saw the car, we decided to upgrade to a larger vehicle. We were charged for the upgrade which we paid for on the spot in cash (unfortunately, as it turned out).
    Anyway, all went well, until several months after I had returned home, a charge appeared on my credit card for the cost of the upgrade which they said was never paid. Lesson learned = keep all receipts.
    Anyway, almost a year after the holiday, two charges of 30euro each appeared on my credit card statement, from Hertz Italia, with no explanation. So I queried the charges with my credit card company, whose policy is to just reverse the charges and enquire from the merchant as to the charges. After about a month I received a letter from my credit card company advising that the Hertz had withdrawn the charges, with no further explanation. After another couple of months, I received a notification from a collection agency in Rome acting on behalf of the Rome Municipality (Police Dept) advising that I owed two amounts of 100.20euro each for outstanding traffic infringements. Apparently the initial charges of 30euro were for infringements where I had driven in a restricted area without permission (which I was totally unaware of), and when the credit card company queried the charges, Hertz just decided rather than explain the charges to me they would just let the fines go and let the police or whoever deal with it as though I had refused to pay.
    I have sent several emails trying to explain the situation and have had zero reply. So I am now waiting. I gather more will follow, but it is frustrating when these companies just dis you as though they couldnt give a rats about you as a customer.
    Be good to hear any other similar stories.
    Mark
    Australia

• Gr
      30th of Nov, 2010

The same thing just happened to me. Months after I was in Italy, three identical charges showed up on my credit card for 30 Euros each. Terrible. I'll get my credit card to cancel them if I can, but i will definitely avoid Hertz in the future.

• Ay
      7th of Jan, 2011

Hey there!
    I experienced the same thing. I went to Sardegna island in September 2010. I paid rent for 2 weeks - everything with my credit card including full tank of gasoline, since i forgot to fill it. Anyway, on december 21st 2010, my cerditcard was charged again, this time for 36€ without any notice, explanation or anything. I dont know what to do next, i wrote to Hertz demanding an explanation. Waiting nof for 2 weeks.

• Ke
      19th of Feb, 2011

Ive just recd my credit card statement with a Euro 36 charge. No idea whats its for so Googled " Hertz Italiana Spa Roma" and see that its a pretty common charge that has caught out a lot of people.

• Av
      3rd of Mar, 2011

NEVER RENT A CAR IN ITALY!!!
    Same scenario here. In November-2009 rented a car for 2 days in Florence to be returned in Rome. In March 2010 received 2 charges on my credit card for $ 40.48 for traffic violations. It's now March 2011 and I just received 2 traffic citations by mail for 126.10 euros each. ALL CHARGES were from HERTS ITALIANA SPA ROMA. Avoid this rental company at all costs, or just don't rent a car when traveling in Italy.

• Ge
      25th of Jun, 2011

THIS SOUNDS LIKE AN INSTITUTIONALISED RIP OFF
    I ahve also received a charge of 36 Euros from HERTZ SPA ITALIANA many months after my visit to Italy, again without any explanation. This sounds like a recurring theme - whatever happened to being "presumed innocent until proven guilty"? I will not use HERTZ SPA ITALIANA again.
    George

• Gi
      18th of Aug, 2011

The same scenario to me now after 4 montsh 36 euros for...nothing! Giorgos
    I am going to contact my visa

• Wa
      2nd of Nov, 2011

For any that have gotten these charges. Phone your credit card company and dispute these charges. Chances are they will remove them from your credit card without any questions. I firmly believe that this is a scam by HERTZ SPA ITALIANA.

• Pa
      12th of Dec, 2011

same here - highway robbery

• Em
      15th of Dec, 2011

I i´m from portugal and the same hapens to me. 3 months later 36.30 €, i´ve just made a reclamation in my bank and cancelled my credit card. I think this money is for administrative expenses between the police and hertz for traffic violations. i don´t understand it i didn´t made anything wrong. Anyone have this case resolved? Please respond to emanuelribeiro129@hotmail.com.

• Na
      13th of Jan, 2012

Same problem here. Rented car from Hertz in October. Just noticed a charge for $47.36 USD posted in December. I also had a parking ticket in Italy but paid for it before we turned the car back in. I'm disputing the charge with my credit card company.

30th of Jun, 2012

Yes, yes, I always heard about problens in rent a car in South America, but now I know that in Italy that kind of trobles is usualy. And is interesting, only in Italy.
    I hope thta HErtz Intrenational do something about that.
    Manuel

• Gr
      22nd of Aug, 2012

I too have received several unapproved charges of 36E on my credit card. I rented a Hertz car in April and just now received 3 x 36E charges. I reading the comments here I have cancelled my card. Sounds like a scam, smells like a scam, taste like a scam.

• To
      28th of Aug, 2012

Same thing happened to me with Hertz . Credit card charged 30 Euros 6 months after the rental for admin charges on a traffic violation which turned out to be wholly fictitious.

• Ca
      19th of Oct, 2012

Same thing happened to us. We rented a car from Hertz this past August and we received a €36 charge x 3. It sounds very strange since there are so many people getting the same charge. Just found out tonight. I'm gonna get in touch with Hertz and see what they say. However it would be great to join forces to move a serious complaint to get our money back. Let me know if you wanna join me to put a collective complaint through. Thanks Carla (carlacaetanocid@gmail.com)

• S8
      20th of Dec, 2012

Hello all,

Hired a car from hertz at Bergamo airport in August 2012, and paid the bill in early September in full. ( though there was damage to the car which was never pointed out to us! i took photos of this as soon as we arrived at our hotel! I could not see them in the car park). I never damaged the car.
    I did receive a parking ticket which was in error as it clainmed we had been there overnight; we had not; i just failed to put the correct time on that blue disc in the window! We never new what it was for. So we parked legally for an hour and were not there overnight.
    Now in Dec Hertz have deducted another £30. surely that cannot be right.
    has anyone written to Hertz Italiana? If so do you have an address?
    Thanks,
    SB
    sbjabeal@aol.com

• Am
      6th of Mar, 2013

Exactly the same happened to us with Hertz Italiana from their Fiumicino office in August 2012. In January 2013 we had 3 payments of 36.30 euros deducted from our credit card, which we know nothing about. We have complained to our credit card company, Lloydstsb, who have referred us back to Hertz. We have tried to contact them without success. This sort of thing is time-consuming and depressing beyond measure, and as the sums involved are relatively small we are inclined, like others, to let it go. No doubt they rely on this reaction to get away with it.

• Be
      29th of Apr, 2013

Hi,
    The same is happening to me now; I hired a car for 2 weeks in september 2012 paying was totally done by reservasionand now they remove € 42, 35 from my credit card extra on 24-4-13. I called my bank to do something about it; they are sending me a form to figth it.

22nd of May, 2013

I have the same problem, 4 months after the trip they are charging my credit card!!!

• To
      11th of Dec, 2013

I thought I had the same problem... My credit card got charged 4-5 months after a trip to Tuscuny; same amount, 42 euros, was charged twice. As it turns out, after talking to Hertz in Norway (where I live), they could see that the fee was an administration fee (the bill is yet to come...) for driving in streets in Lucca and Siena. They could tell me the date and the time, which is accurate, and I remember us driving in to narrow streets, almost getting lost, and there where a lot of traffic signs that we unfortunately did not understand. So we have got billed for violating traffic regulation, unfortunately. I dont think we will rent a car in Italy again... I want to learn Italian first anyway!