Heathrow / airport assistance

Private customer, United Kingdom Review updated:

We requested assistance on the 31st May when travelling on flight OU491 with Croatia Airlines from Terminal 2 departure time 11.50 hrs. This was the first time we had used Heathrow and the level of Assistance and the organisation was dreadful. None of the staff manning Assistance seemed to know what they were doing and even though we were at the airport two hours before departure, we were last to board and this was only managed because my wife kept chasing the staff. We returned on flight OU490 at 11.00 hrs on the 7th June and the Assistance provided was almost as bad. We normally fly from Gatwick where the Assistance organisation is so much more efficient and makes travelling so less stressful. It would be a good idea if the Heathrow Assistance staff had the same level of training plus a better command of the English language.
If we have to fly from Heathrow in the future, I do hope this problem will have been rectified. Your comments will be appreciated.

Jo
Jun 13, 2017

Comments

• Be
      Jun 13, 2017

I am a frequent traveler and I worked as a travel agent and I can tell you that you are supposed to contact the airline NOT the airport when in need of assistance. Airlines, or your travel agent will contact the right people to make sure you have assistance.

This information is also very clearly posted on the Heathrow website :

Before you leave home

Under European legislation, your airline is responsible when you are on board the aircraft. Heathrow is responsible for providing special assistance at the airport. Therefore, please book all assistance through your airline (your airline’s website will contain details of how to do this). Heathrow Airport cannot book special assistance.
    Please inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent of your particular need at the time of booking, or at least 48 hours before your travel. Try to give as much notice as possible so we can make the arrangements (if you forget, we will still make every effort to help you in a timely manner).
    Your assistance requirement will be passed to our service provider, Omniserv.
    You should also inform your airline, tour operator or travel agent if you intend to take your own mobility device (such as a wheelchair or scooter).

It is also clearly stated on the Croatia Airlines website and it explains who to contact, how and when.

I'm sorry you had problems, but if you followed the correct protocol, then is shouldn't be a problem.