Heartland, Inc / Didn't authorize charges for magazines

1 Des Moines, IA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-2924882

I received a call stating they were a magzine company, and they wanted me to know that another company was calling their customers pretending to be them. I didn't catch their name, and now I question if they ever gave it to me. Since I was receiving magazines from a company, I assumed it was a legitimate call. They verified my name, address and credit card number. Since they had my information, I thought it was the company I had ordered from before.
They never told me it was a sales call. They asked me what magazines I liked to read. They said they were going to send me a list of magazines for me to chose from. I kept asking if I was committing to anything. They kept stating they were going to send a list for me to look at.
Four days later I received a list of magazines along with a letter stating I had agreed to automatic billing with my credit card for the 10th of each month for $49.90 for 19 months. They never mentioned or asked anything pertaining to that in the phone conversation. They had that I had agreed to 60 issues of Ladies Home Journal and Redbook (the ones I stated I like to read when they asked). There was also 36 issues of ELLE and 48 issues of SPIN. These last two magazines was never mention by either party.
The guy who was supposed to be a supervisor gave me his name and phone number and told me to call him if I had any problems. I have called numerous times and left messages, but he has never called back.
As of now May 9, I have filed a dispute with my credit card company over these charges.After that I plan to file a complaint with the BBB.

Do

Comments

• Br
      18th of Nov, 2008

I have agree to the magazine but I have to clue that the book cost the much money. I was send a list ask if I want to continue the service I check no. Don't need these magazine don't want the book cost to much money.

• Th
      20th of Feb, 2009

The exact same thing happened to my wife and charges started to show-up on her credit card. The card company expunged the first but on the 2nd call they called Heartland and we both spoke to the Company. We were told there was an oral contract that we could not break and that we owed them 600 + dollars. I asked them to record my cancelling of the contract since they reportedly recorded her committment. I told them I was next going to cancel the credit card so they would have no place to send the charges and they could turn us over to the credit reporting agency if they liked. We'll see.

• Ta
      28th of Jul, 2009

Same thing happened to my 72 year old mother. The horrible thing is that she suff ers from dementia and actually thought she was my 36 year old sister. You see my mother gets a T.V. Guide magazine at her home in my sisters name. When these people called her, she could'nt remember her name... how could she know that she made an oral contract for new magazines for 19 months!!My sister handles my mothers financial matters and noticed that she was getting charged 49.90 a month on her bank statements. Stop payments were started immediately and my sister contacted the company. The rep she spoke to stated that my mothers conversation had been recorded and she agreed to the subscription. My sister stressed the fact that the recorded voice was of a 72 year old woman suffering from dementia. The rep tells my sister no, the voice on the recording is your your voice. My sister at this point is dumbfounded. She has called this company to tell them that she never ordered magazines, that it was our mother who was manipulated and she wants this contract cancelled!The rep once again tells my sister that the voice on the recording was hers and not my mother. We have contacted a lawyer and filed a complaint with the BBB.

• Ne
      22nd of Jan, 2010

Complaint Rating:
    Company information:
    Heartland, Inc
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Phone: 866-2924882
    didn't list one

Same thing happened to me and they just called on my cell phone telling that I was obligated and this would be sent to a credit agency. I actually ended up with 3 magizine companies and I have gotten the 2 to cancel all subcriptions. Heartland says they can't. They needed me to tell them within 10 days to cancel, but how can you in 10 days when you never get a letter.

This is all a scam. I think something should happen to the Hearthland Inc. They are not friendly and I can't believe they are doing this to many, many people.

• Rh
      13th of May, 2010

i believe this company should be shut down. i am yet another person they have scammed and are constantly harrassing me to pay for all these magazines that i did not order and do not want. they have some attorney calling me to settle cheaper, they say i owe 1103.00 but will settle for 456.00 they are out of their minds!!! SHUT THEM DOWN