Hearst Magazines / Subscription/renewal scam

1 AL, United States Review updated:

I received a subscription notice to Good Housekeeping, a magazine I have not received and have not ordered. I returned it marked CANCELLED. I have now received several letters from G. L. Valk of the Subscription Service Department that were threatening and irritating. I did not subscribed to this magazine and have twice returned invoices to cancel. Upon examining the invoice I noticed it is for a subscription that starts January 09. I know magazine subscriptions are down but targeting older people, such as myself, and sending letters that sound like you're past due and about to be sent to collections for something you didn't order and is a FUTURE subscription, is unconscionable.

Sk

Comments

• Cb
      3rd of Feb, 2009
    Hearst Magazines - invoice for subscription
    Hearts Magazines
    Illinois

I keep getting a bill for a subscription to Popular Mechanics. I didn't subscribe to it, never recieved it, and can't even change the oil in my car. Can never get a hold of anyone when I Google for a phone number- very annoying and a scam!

• Fe
      3rd of Feb, 2009

I have beeb having issue with The Hearst Magazines Corp. I have reveived many offers every month or so. I not replying, because I am not interested. I can't event find an appropriate contact so I can informe them that this is awful to keep sending offers. I don't owe The Hearst Magazine any type of fee. I am almost forced to pay for something I never I ordered.

• Ti
      24th of Feb, 2009

I am having the same problem. I went to their website and cancelled my subscription since there is no phone number. I do not appreciate receiving collection letters for a magazine I do not want.

• Je
      9th of Mar, 2009

I'm getting the same letters from G. L. Valk. I do have a subscription to Popular Mechanics, but these letters are telling me I owe them at three times the normal rate. I would rather cancel all my Hearst magazines than pay this extortion.

16th of Mar, 2009

I agree- The Hearst Magazine company is sending me "delinquent" notices about bills they have sent to me to extend my subscription. I don't want any more magazines, and I certainly plan to stay away from magazines published by Hearst.

• Ra
      26th of Mar, 2009

I am right there with you. Today I opened a letter from Hearst. I had ordered "Country Living" early last year, but did not renew and today the letter was from G.L. Valk telling me that I need to pay because of the "bill me now" feature. I know this is untrue because I never use the "bill me now, " instead I like to pay subscriptions right away. Another reason; because of the economy, I have eliminated ordering anything unimportant -- which includes magazine subscriptions. How tacky of this company to do this! I tried to find a number to call on the invoice, letter and website but there were none. This kind of practice might be illigal.

• Mi
      5th of May, 2009

This company is a big scam! These people should be driven out of business! Imagine the amount of money they have made on this with responsible people trying to stay current. I found this number online to reach them call 1-800-444-4204, no contact information is listed on the invoice. When calling have your account number ready that is printed on the invoice or magazine. Rather than railroading the customer service agent who has nothing to do with these practice make sure you get a cancelation confirmation number and send all of the invoices along with a letter to your state Attorney General. If you are unsure who your Attorney General is, go to this website. http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/stateattorneygenerallist.php

• Dd
      8th of Oct, 2009
    Hearst Magazines - collection letters
    Hearst Magazines - House Beautiful
    P.O. Box 8464
    Red Oak
    Iowa
    Phone: funny , they don't print that

I have a copy of my original 1 year subscription to House Beautiful Magazine from Aug. '08. I cancelled their sneaky 'continuous renewal program' in May of '09. To date I've received no less that 4 threatening collection letters and they are still sending me the magazine.

• La
      24th of Feb, 2010

I am getting very sick and tired of receiving notices from Hearst stating that I had indicated to be billed later on my original subscription to Popular Mechanics for future renewal of the subscription. I most certainly did not, do not want to renew the subscription and still have the original subscription in my suspense file folder. I don't know what they are trying to pull but I don't like it and will definitely not order any other publication under Hearst magazines. If I continue to receive further notices like this I will complain to Consumer Affairs as well as the state Attorney General. I will try the 1-800 number from the previous comments as stated by Michelle. ...Lopaka

• Sn
      20th of Mar, 2010

I had my own problems getting Hearst to cancel my subscription to two of their magainzes. I found their number on this site (http://www.contacthelp.com/directory/Media/Magazines/Hearst+Magazines?ListingID=1164), and actually got an agent who took care of everything in 5 minutes. Guess I was just lucky.

• Vi
      27th of Jul, 2010

I have to agree that there tactic for renewal was a bit devisive but they really do have wonderful prices and if you complain they lower the price even more. The last offer they gave me for a renewal I never placed was kind of tricky but after I complained they took an additional $5.00 off for a future subcription for 12 months. It was a $4.00 magazine that would basically amount to $1.00 per issue. They really should be honest and more up front. Even though the subcription would have been a "great" deal, I cancelled because of the deception involved. At that price I almost feel like I was the one who lost out but it's not nice to use deceptive practices under any circumstances.

• Bo
      26th of Sep, 2010

I have recieved at least five notices saying I renewed my Country Living when I didn't . I know I didn't renew because before the PAY THIS BILL NOW notices I got about three FINAL CHANCE TO RENEW notices, I wish I kept them for proof. The last two bills they said was my final opportunity to resume service. I have not recieved one magazine since March 2010. I almost paid it, because they said it was going to effect my credit, until I read all these complaints. Even when people know they didn't renew I bet they pay it to get them of their back, like I almost did. Guess that is what they are counting on.

• Go
      16th of Oct, 2010

I too keep receiving these "past due invoices" from Lucky magazine. Companies like these should be ashamed of themselves for using scare tactics like "past due" "pay to remain in good credit standing". If a customer pays for a 1 year subscription and decided not to renew do not keep harassing the customer to subscribe! There should be a law (or maybe there is that I don't know of) against deceptive practices like these. I am never going to subscribe to any magazine from Lucky's publishers.

8th of Nov, 2010

I am having the same problem as everyone else that has made a comment regarding Hearst Magazines. They are really threatening me with "We must now insist that you send us your payment immediately". I did pay for a subscription to House Beautiful but I no longer wanted to receive the magazine so I just did not renew my subscription. I, too, have received more than one of those "Important Notice" notes. I wish I had kept them but I only have this one that has me really upset to be continually harassed in this manner. I will no longer subscribe to any Hearst Magazine; however, there should be something we can do for those elderly people who will just continue to pay because they feel they owe this money. There seems to be enough people with the same opinion of Hearst that someone would know what we can do to stop this harassment.
    Marge

• Me
      4th of Jan, 2011

The same thing happend to me, but now I am receiving delinquent notices from K. Michael Konrad. How do I go about reporting this to BBB?

• Ss
      18th of Jun, 2011

FURIOUS-----I just ordered "House Beautiful" online for $30.00 dollars for 30 issues. The Hearst website mentions absolutely nothing about the price of shipping, soon as I entered my information the site stated that I now owed $51.00. There is nowhere on Hearsts contact site to call them, it is impossible to cancel before you get you're 1st magazine issue as they do not give you a subsciption number to enter into their required personal information. With great difficulty I found a phone number and called to cancel and was informed that I would need to call back in a few days to cancel again. WTF? Do Not order anything from this underhanded, shady business dealing company. If I do not get an immediate refund I will contact the better business bureau and email to the appropriate agency at the State level.

• Sy
      1st of Aug, 2011

Condé Nast is sending the same unethical threats when you don’t owe them a thing. It’s the stupidest marketing, it just makes people mad and then not want to do business with them.

• Li
      1st of Sep, 2011

same happen to me join a sweepstake game my adress for a free prize then recive an invoice for magazine did not order please try to find me a phone number why would i want a popular machanic magazine at 60 years old i have a hard time shovelling snow why would i do machanics on a new vehicule what a scam

• Di
      19th of Jan, 2012

I looked on line to see if others were having the same problems with Hearst Corporation and not surprisingly it seems Hearst is trying to extort money from many other. Sometimes I enter some of their contests and though I always choose the enter without subscribing option they still send me e-mails periodically thanking me for subscribing to various magazines. Then as others have noted on this web site, there is no way to contact them since my reply e-mails do not go through and there is no customer service number. And two weeks ago I got a collections notice for a subscription to a magazine that I not only did not subscribe to but had never received. This company should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission. I now have a very negative impression about this company and would never purchase any of their magazines.

• Li
      17th of Oct, 2012

I subscribed to the More magazine and I have yet to receive the October Issue and already it's Oct17th. How can I resolve this? Who do I write to in order to get my magazine or just my money back.