Hawaiian Airlines / service

My family of five was scheduled for Flight HA 11 from SFO to HNL with a departure time of 8:55am. At around 8:16am, there was an announcement regarding the flight being delayed for 7 hours with a new scheduled departure of 4:30pm. When we were all moved to a different gate, we stood in line for about 20-30 minutes when another announcement came on asking everyone with the delayed flight to take a seat and that accommodations would be made. We sat and waited for a while and around 9:40am, I noticed people who had been on the delayed flight were able to check into the another flight, 41. So I went to wait in line to ask if we could be accommodated. After getting to the counter, Christina said it was possible and stated she needed everyone up at the counter. I signaled to my family but as we were boarding, I realized my husband wasn't there. I called him and he had gone out of the gate area thinking we would not be accommodated. We came back out of the tunnel area and I apologized and told Christina we would wait for the 4:30pm flight since my husband wasn't there. At this, she became upset and yanked the tickets from my hand and all three of my kids' hand, visibly angry. I apologized again and she made a comment stating "This is why I asked if everyone in your party was here." I responded that I thought we were. She then raised her voice stating that "you guys are the reason why this flight (41) is delayed". As upset and frustrated as I already was about a 7- hour delay, I did respond that it wouldn't have happened if the original flight wasn't delayed. Also, at this time, there were still other customers who were going into the tunnel area. This is my family's first time flying with Hawaiian Airlines and it has been a complete mess with rude service. When there are flights delayed for 7.5 hours, I would think that the airline would better train their employees to understand the frustration of its customers instead of blaming them for causing another delayed flight or yanking tickets out of kids' hands when there are additional people boarding after.

Ju
Feb 9, 2018

Comments

• Do
      9th of Feb, 2018

I would have been upset with you, as well. The gate attendant went to the trouble of helping you, and you lied to her about your entire family being there. Before having her go to all that work, you should have double checked to make sure you were actually all there. I mean seriously, how could you not tell that your husband wasn't there?