Harvey Norman / lie to facilitate agreement

1 Australia Review updated:

Dear Complaints Board,
Is there an email address to contact the Harvey Norman head franchise office about a customer complaint? I have the following complaint regarding service from the Southlands - Kalgoorlie, Western Australia store.

I purchased a Panasonic 42inch Plasma Television from Harvey Norman on Saturday 15th of July. I was required to take the invoice to the warehouse at the rear of the store where the Storemen gave me the Television and accessories boxes. I travelled home then assembled and set-up the Television in my house. Just as I had finished two Harvey Norman Storemen arrived at my doorstep and told me that they had given me the wrong Television unit. They told me that the unit I was given was an older version of the same Television and they had bought around a newer version for me. They dismantled the Television I had purchased and then I had to assemble and set up the television they had bought to my house.

I have subsequently found out that they actually had given me a newer version of the television with HDTV and not an older version. So they lied to me, maybe to facilitate my agreement to give them back the television I had purchased. I can see why the Storemen were so eager to take the Television I had been originally given.

I was going to purchase a HDTV converter and new gas stove with hotplates from Harvey Norman next month but they have lost my business due to this situation with my Television purchase.

• Troubledstaff's Response, Apr 21, 2018

Mcgraths Hill NSW 2763

• JohnBeer's Response, Jun 14, 2018

already done

Harvey Norman robbing thieving [censored] do not give cash back

• Bubbles1234's Response, Oct 28, 2018

I have taken the phone to the shop an they can't find a fault and I would like to get a refund for the phone today or I will be going higher

Da

Comments

30th of Nov, 2010

Re the above 65" Panasonic complaint I posted yesterday. You said that an email had been forwarded to me, but as yet I have not received it - nor is it in the spam box. Could you re-send it and also I would like to know how my complaint will be handled. Thank you

• Al
      3rd of Dec, 2010
    Harvey Norman - Advertising
    New Zealand

The continual barrage of the unending shouting, bell-ringing, hooter-blowing that Harvey Norman blasts at us in our living rooms ensures that we will never buy a thing from them. Sick to death of their intelligence-insulting bellowing, and others are too.

• Tj
      17th of Jan, 2011

additonal to this complaint - Harvey Norman eventually agreed to replace the camera.
    So In the end all was well - but could have saved a lot of stress by doing that in the first place.

• Mc
      15th of Mar, 2011

We ordered some furniture from Harvey Norman at the end of year sales of 2010. The told us it would be delivered from 6 to 8 weeks. When it didn't, we went to enquire about it. The sales person who just happened to be the acting manager was incredibly rude and aggressive to us, and told us then, that the normal waiting period was 8 to 10 weeks, and that the manufacturer wasn't back to work till the second week of January - a fact they didn't reveal to us when ordering the furniture-, and as a result our furniture would not be delivered till the first week of March. We're in the middle of March, I have just called to find out where our furniture is, and I'm now being told that it'll be mid April now, because now, apparently the manufacturers didn't start back at work till the 20th of January! The worse thing of all is that despite of all of this being their fault, they won't let us cancel the order. These people are totally miss leading their costumers to commit to a purchase without revealing important information which may influence their decision, such as waiting periods, etc. The most frustrating thing is getting different information ever time you enquire. We ordered furniture from other places such as Bev Mark, s Beds, Sortino and Leather Republic, and all of those people have delivered earlier than what they had estimated, and not only that, they have been most helpful and polite. I will never, ever, ever in a million years purchase anything from Harvey Norman again, that is for sure.

12th of Apr, 2011

Issues with Harvey Norman Wiley Park.
    Ordered a table and chair setting in July of 2010. They told us it was in stock and to call them two weeks prior to organise delivery. We explained that as we hadn't moved into our house yet we wouldn't require the furniture until October, they said this was fine. Phoned and organised delivery and was informed that they could only deliver to our area on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a little inconvenient as it required taking time off work but went along with it anyway. Thursday our goods are delivered I open the boxes and they have delivered the wrong table and chairs. Phoned Harvey Norman back right away and explained that they had dropped off the wrong goods. Lady on the phone was very rude and kept asking if i was sure it was the wrong stuff! After repeatedly telling them that it wasn't what i had ordered I was told the delivery driver would return to pick up the incorrect goods and drop off correct ones. This NEVER happened. I phoned them after waiting hours and was told that they didn't actually have our table and chairs and that we would have to wait until late April. I told them this wasn't good enough and that I wanted a refund. After going back and forward for days they finally agreed but told me they could only pick up the goods on a Tuesday or Thursday. I told them it wasn't my problem and if this was the case I would leave the stuff outside and they could pick it up, funny how they then organised to pick them up on a Saturday. Think I would have learnt my lesson but went to Harvey Norman Auburn a few weeks later and ordered some leather lounges. I was told they would be delivered in 2 weeks. 2 weeks has now turned into 4 and I'm at the end of my rope! Being a large chain I thought I'd be dealing with professionals not LIARS! NEVER AGAIN DEALING WITH HARVEY NORMAN

13th of Jun, 2011

I find it astounding than any company executive, whether
    Harvey Norman, or advertising company CEO, seriously expects that loud, screeching, annoying, far too frequent
    ads, are going to cause numb-brains to rush into their
    stores, throwing money at them. Some customers can think.
    Even if their staff were normal, courteous, helpful
    people, the annoying (always muted) ads would definately
    preclude me from ever buying anything from them.
    Let's hope they go out of business and get out of town!

13th of Jun, 2011

Totally agree Alan. What the idiots don't seem to
    understand, is that their annoying crap is being
    avoided, by almost everyone, in many ways. The mute
    button is most often used, programmes are pre-recorded
    on Tivo type units and fast-forwarded over, commercial
    channels are being avoided by many and some, like our
    family, have a great collection of dvd's (years worth!)
    so we can forget TV entirely. Problem is there are SOME
    very good shows on TV, which ads try to spoil.

23rd of Jun, 2011

Three months ago I purchase a 65T Navman from Harvey Norman in Auburn. Last week it stopped working. This morning I returned it to the store to be replaced.

After being served by a polite and courteous staff member at the service and repairs desk I asked to speak to the Manager. I asked the Manager at the time for a replacement as I use the Navman everyday for work. He said to me that it was store policy not to return it if the returning timeframe was unreasonable. I stated that three months is a reasonable timeframe. The Manager laughed at me and said that three months was not reasonable and that 14 days is reasonable. I disagree, I believe a product worth $245 should last a lot longer than three months and two weeks is not a reasonable timeframe to return broken items.

I have always respected Harvey Norman and believed them to be a reputable franchise store. However, after being belittled by the Harvey Norman Manager in Auburn this morning and have them refuse to replace my item I have changed by mind. I thought Harvey Norman would value their customers, they obviously do not and are about making money and not respecting customers.

• Ni
      27th of Jul, 2011
    Harvey Norman - Ordered Lounge and still waiting 4 months later!
    Harvey Norman

I ordered a lounge chair from Harvey Norman and was told it would take 6 - 8 weeks to arrive in Hobart. I have now been waiting 17 weeks and not so much as a phone call or a sorry from the sales department at Harvey Norman. Extremely disappointing.

• Ki
      14th of Sep, 2011
    Harvey Norman - I am absolutely fed up to the eyeballs of Harvey Norman Advertisements
    Harvey Norman

I am absolutely fed up to the eyeballs of Harvey Norman Advertisements. Our mute button is starting to wear out from everyone diving over to press it. It's saturation at its worst and it insults most people's intelligence with the repetitiveness. Can something be done about it.

• Ka
      2nd of Oct, 2011

Don't know why anyone would ever shop at Harvey Norman. Their furniture is cheap and dated looking and way overpriced. I even got kicked out of the furniture section for having a tiny dog in my jumper but they will let sticky fingered, snotty nosed, out of control kids in the store and would never dare say a word.

• El
      17th of Aug, 2012

I bought a laptop from Harvey Norman & was Hearst into buying a bag, norton protection. When i got it home no lead to charge, they said i had to by an other one.ripped of again. Let it slid . Went back a week later wanted to by T.V. camcorder D.V.D. player & camera & pap per shredder. Each department i went to was totally ignored . Staff were just standing around talking. I tried to approach them & they just walked away. how rude. so i just walked out. Had a couple off grand to spend. they lost my money.this was in Traralgon vic gippsland.

• Au
      26th of Mar, 2013
    Harvey Norman - pathetic customer service
    Osborne Park
    Western Australia
    Australia

I want to lodge a complaint against one of your manager named Patrick at Harvey Norman, Osborne Park in WA. I went there to buy electronics (TV and home theatre) and I didn't receive the service I was expecting. The guy who served me was literally rude, even my wife felt the same but I thought that let it go. Then I went to cancel the installation service which was too high and he didn't even tell me how much it would have been cost me. Then finally I got a refund of $323 yesterday but instead of refunding me they charged back my card for the same amount. I went there today to fix this up and he used ill language saying "your bank screwed it up" when I asked him not to use this sort of language he told me that he is going to call the police. Now I am going through my bank to put a dispute about this transaction and then I am going to cancel my purchase at Harvey Norman, Osborne Park. I am going to do this only in one condition and that is a written apology from your so called electrical department manager PATRICK. If I don't hear from you guys then I think I have to go through Consumer affairs or Office of Fair Trading. I hope you take this complain seriously because I think he doesn't have any skills to be a manager. I work myself in Customer Service and I am a manager but I know how to talk to my customers. You should send him to a people skills course and ask him to get communication skills. Hope to hear from you soon

• Es
      23rd of Feb, 2014

Harvey norman rothwell your customer service is
    Nothing short of disgraceful, today my children and myself were insulted with personal
    Comments by a staff assistant called Valerie, she not only got up in my face and hurled abusive and derogatory comments at me she followed my family around the shop intimidating my kids. The manager on duty was made aware of her behavior and had nothing much to say about it, to be honest he seemed scared of her he was not in the slightest bit apologetic.
    Harvey Norman are these the type of people you employ ??
    Are these your standards you set for employees to follow ??
    Harvey Norman ROTHWELL you should be ashamed.

20th of Apr, 2014

I too have serious issues with Harvey Norman Rothwell, particularly with the staff member Valerie. I purchased a lounge suite from the store at the beginning of November 2013, despite being told at the time it would be a 12-14 week wait for the lounge suite to be delivered (this time frame was also written on my receipt) it took 5 months for the lounge suite to be delivered. Upon making a complaint about the waiting time and after being given every excuse under the sun, I was given a $150 refund. I went into the store recently to collect my refund and unfortunately was required to deal with Valerie. During the process she yelled at me and more or less called me an idiot. She continued to be abusive until I left the store. Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

• Up
      13th of Jun, 2014

Purchased TV from Harvey Norman LISMORE NSW years ago and found out later it having the wrong remote because it being floor stock. Paid around $1500.00 at the time but they could not give a stuff.
    Had bought GPS and went back to store to purchase an optional lead. Was told by salesman there was no lead to connect to my GPS. I did persist and explained what the lead was used for and was approached by a saleslady this time and was basically told the same thing as before. I persisted again and then was handed a cheap looking lead that was not packaged and was told I could have it for free. By this time I became very annoyed but kept my cool and told this saleslady that this lead was not the correct type and would not be able to use it. She confirmed that the manager also advised it was the correct lead for my GPS.I had said to her that he was wrong also and explained several times what type of lead I needed and it was obvious they just wanted to get rid of me. She had told me I would have to speak to the manager but he was busy at the moment. I live 46km from Lismore and was not going to waste my time or fuel so waited around ten minutes for the manager to attend to my request. He finally came over to me and I explained again the lead I needed and being fairly thick he had told me that the lead I was given for free was the right lead. I explained that the lead I was given was a 3.5 mm plug and the lead that I required had a different plug and that the socket on my GPS was an input and not an output socket. He then raised his voice at me in front of other customers and said that nobody had told him about the type of lead that I needed. I had enough of playing their game and returned the abuse and told him that he and the other staff will not bloody listen and if he did not know what type of lead I needed to look on the Internet or their product books and he might have an idea. He went back of shop for a while and came out saying that he found the type of lead I needed and he could order it for $50.00 I then agreed. They worked hard for their $50.00.
    5 years or so later I had purchased 3 laptops and going by the salesman i was getting a higher then normal product for my money. About 14 months later I had discovered that the laptops I had purchased were not that good and the retail price from other sellers were $599.00. I had paid $1299.00 each and bought 3 laptops.
    Lessen learnt, Don't trust Harvey Norman that you are getting exceptional value for money spent. I had purchased products with the wrong remote then abused by the manager later on and then, not just a bit but severely robbed by these thugs. Never again. UP YOURS GERRY.

• Mi
      24th of Jun, 2014

I cant believe some of the comments and complaints here. Seriously...some of u really need to understand that the world doesnt revolve around ur petulance. Someone bought a navman and after 3 months when it stops working, they expect to just walk in and have it replaced? How can the retailer be certain that it wasnt dropped in the dishwater? It needs to be EXAMINED. If its repairable, then thats the retailers only obligation and only if no evidence is found indicating negligence by the customer. Its a retailers right to explore the possibilities before simply handing over a new one in exchange for one that may have been mistreated. As for the original poster with the wrong TV delivered, perhaps they took this action in light of the times when wrong items are delivered and the customer simply refuses to return them or let the retailer exchange them? I see the customer allowed them to change it over when they believed it was an older model, but the question remains: would the customer have allowed the changeover if theyd believed it was better than what they purchased? Yes...these things do happen. Customers often refuse to allow retailers to correct mistakes that have benefited the customer. There is a mindset that says its bad luck for the retailer in that situation, and an attitude that can quickly turn feral when retailers attempt to exchange the goods for the correct ones.

• Ts
      10th of Apr, 2015

I wished I read this blogs before using Harvy Norman . I also had issues but could not be bothered to type . No HN for me

• Se
      2nd of Jul, 2015

Hi
    I ordered a Brand New Samsung Fridge from Harvey Norman Midland and I was told by the Sales rep I will be getting a brand new unit so have to wait for couple of weeks to get the delivery.
    Delivery was scheduled today.
    My wife was at home and she called me when they came for delivery.
    We were shocked when we saw them bringing the fridge on trolley and without any box and packaging and without any cover on it.
    When my wife asked the delivery man about the box he told her that it's a brand new unit and they delivered new units without any box packaging so that customer can see any damages or dents on the outer body.He than very cleverly again gave a theory that to check if it's a new unit or old one just check any water in the pipe.
    They were again again and tried to convince us that it's a brand new unit.
    They were very cleverly telling lie to us making us fool.
    It sounds fishy to me and I checked with the Samsung Australia sending them the pic and they advised me that it is a Display unit as it's having stickers on it.
    I was very shocked as paying for a brand new unit and waiting for weeks I am getting a old unit saying it's a new one.
    I was being ripped .
    It seems to be a scam and when I called the Harvey Norman and after explaining everything I was told by the guy that the delivery man must have unpacked the unit before bringing in home.
    And then he put me on hold saying he will check it and the phone got disconnected .
    It was completely fraud and I even tried to call Acc but couldn't connect then I again called Harvey Norman and I was told that they are looking into it and will give me a call.
    After this suspicious activity my wife checked the fridge and found dust on the unit as it was sure a old unit.
    Also the delivery man just gave us a manual pack in hand saying it's with the fridge .Was it a joke it should be a brand new packed unit.
    Later I got a call from a man named Jack he told me that it's a Display unit and they don't know how this happen and he told me that they can get me a new unit but it will take couple of weeks and by that time I can keep this unit but he told me to take care of this unit as they will take it back.
    I don't know is it kind of joke or it was done intentionally to give me a old unit
    Everyone one seems to involve in this scam as why Driver told us lie twice it's a new unit .
    He should have known while loading it.
    Why again I was given couple of more weeks saying they will get a new one.
    I already waited weeks for this.
    I don't have any faith on Harvey Norman and it doesn't seems to be a mistake .
    I just want to advise that I don't want to use this old unit just take it back .
    They tried their best to make us fool selling a display unit saying it's a new one.
    Not at all happy with this .
    Didn't expect this from Harvey Norman.
    You can call me any time
    Please take this seriously

• Se
      9th of Jul, 2015

This is shocking. Thanks for sharing. Harvey Norman do not encourage customers to speak up, thus an email address is difficult to locate. Use their website but say you want it to go to the manager of the manager of the store you are talking about. I am finding more and more that Harvey Norman is not respecting customers and their Australian Consumer Law rights. I know so many consumers who will not shop there because of websites like this which tell what they are really like.