Harlem Furniture / POOR quality/deceptive practices

1 ALLChicago, IL, United States Review updated:

If you want disposable furniture, shop at Harlem Furniture. I've spent close to $5000 on a bedroom set and leather living room sofa/loveseat/chair/ottoman set...and ALL are Chinese made GARBAGE! I will explain further.

In December 2004, I spent close to $3000 on a king bedroom set. Very nice looking, but poor quality laminated particleboard garbage. The set was unused until I moved in July 2006. The bed has since become totally unstable and unrepairable, with the metal connectors on the frame ripping thru the pressed-wood bedframe. The entire bed wobbles and creaks if there is ANY movement on it.

At the same time I moved in July '06, we bought the leather living room set. We were sold a leather protection package that covers anything that might happen to the leather surfaces. Well, when we received the documents for the extended warranty, there were exclusions listed that would eliminate repairs for anything other than the leather just disintegrating on it's own! Finally, a couple of nights ago, the front frame of the sofa broke completely in two, making the whole sofa sag in the middle! When I contacted Harlem Furniture, they said there was nothing they could do. [censored]. Any reputable company would try to offer some resolution, but not these crooks. They just take your money & run.

Bottom line is...don't be sucked in by their "free financing" plans. Their furniture is crap. It is overpriced. You are paying for the financing in the price of the garbage. If anyone wants pictures of the crap in question, just shoot me an e-mail.

Comments

• Ad
      5th of Feb, 2008
    Harlem Furniture - Harassment!
    Harlem Furniture
    13526 nacogdoches rd
    San Antonio
    Texas
    Phone: 866 283-1065

I tried to close my accounts about 20 times, the balance is paid on full and the answer is always the same "ok we have your account close today " and each time when i call them again the accounts are still open. I really don't know what to do anymore. They even send me the bill with the balance 0.00.

• Je
      7th of Apr, 2008

I too bought furniture from Harlem Furniture - Leather sofa, loveseat and warrnty package purchased at the Lombard IL store in February 2006. The entire leather pillow in the center section of the sofa has stretched and sags terribly. I was directed by Harlem customer service to contact the warranty company (5 year protection - additional expense). After explaining my situation to them they said they do not cover this type of problem. They agreed with me that this type of problem should not have happened so soon and is a manufacturers defect. I called back Harlem customer service and they said that it is over 1 year old so the manufacturer wouldn't cover this type of problem. I then asked for the manufacturers name and they said that it is company policy that they can not give this information out! What!? How can they not pass along this information to the consumer, especially if there is a problem? I asked for a Corproate contact number for Harlem and they only give out one phone number and it keeps getting re-routed back to the same person that can't help. I'm out of luck. Buyer Beware! Expensive Junk For Sale!!

• Tr
      15th of Jul, 2008

On June 9th, I purchased a leather sofa and ottoman from Harlem Furniture in Aurora. My furniture was delivered the next day, and it was in perfect condition. I was very pleased with my purchase. A few weeks after my furniture purchase, I received a welcome letter from American Bankers Insurance Company, thanking me for purchasing life insurance. Since I already have a $500, 000 life insurance policy from All State Insurance, I was confused and quite concerned. I called up American Bankers Insurance saying that there must be a mistake. I was told that I purchased this life insurance through my Harlem credit card. While I got the leather protection service, I certainly did not take out a life insurance policy.

I was hung up on twice, transferred three times, and told that I had to contact Harlem Furniture directly. I did so, and was told that I must have checked a box on my furniture receipt and that’s why I received this insurance. I was told to call American Bankers Insurance to cancel this policy. After forty minutes of back and forth phone calls, I finally did get this policy canceled. I’m very angry that by supposedly checking a box (of which I have no record of, nor is it on my receipt) that I took $10, 000 worth of life insurance out to pay for a piece of furniture that I will be paying off in two months.

When I canceled this policy, I was told to double check my credit card statements, as “many” people don’t even notice that this policy is on there. I find this business practice underhanded at best, if not downright sleazy. I’m an educated person, and my husband is an attorney, and neither of us knew that we had taken out this ridiculous life insurance policy.

I had planned to buy a new bedroom set within the next six months, and prior to this situation, had planned on giving my business to Harlem furniture, since I was so happy with my couch and the efficiency of the delivery. Because I feel duped and taken advantage of, I will be taking my business elsewhere. If you do a “google” search on Harlem Furniture + deceptive practices, I’m sorry to say that many other people seem to share my story. This is a terrible business practice.

• Rh
      21st of Aug, 2008

I bought a leather sofa set from Harlem Furniture in 2005 and it wasn't a year old before the front end wood of my sofa split in half. Now my sofa sags in the middle and the bottom is falling out. I contacted Harlem Furniture and they gave me the runa round and told me to contact my warranty which by the way operates out of Florida. I contacted them and they told me they only cover the leather repair.
    I brought a 5 year warranty and can't even get my sofa fixed. I will never ever by furniture from them again. They miss lead the public and they are pushing of garbage furniture as good quality. Quality is a a bed I brought from Value City Furniture 8years ago. Its still sturdy and going strong. My advice to anyone thing long and hard against by any furntiture from this company, unless you are into buying garbage.

• Nu
      4th of Aug, 2009

First and last time buying from them. Ripped me off by signing me up for credit insurance when I said no several times and now I am stuck calling from number to number to Cancel and noone can pull up my account. Buyers BEWARE!!!