Handyman Club of Americamembership dues

I filled out something about receiving tools for free to test out and use and then evaluate. The tools were supposed to be mine to keep. I never received any gifts or free tools. All I have received are threatening notices about oweing money for a club membership I have no desire to pay to join. I have not received one single thing of any value from this fraudulent company.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Minnetonka, MNToday, I received another threatening letter that says it's a collection referral notice, because I have not paid $24.00 for a two year membership. As I have stated, I have no intention to pay to join a bogus club or any club for that matter. I suggest this company chase after someone else, you're not getting one red cent from this hard working man. Furthermore, stop sending me anything, you are now harassing me and that is illegal. You got my name from a trade show I attended in Atlantic City, NJ.
I DO NOT want a damn thing from you, do you understand me?

Comments

• Ga
      May 12, 2007
    Handyman Club of America - fraudulent mail and billing

I just received a bill (delinquent) from a place called handyman club of which i have never heard of saying i owed them 3 months back dues. in contacting them by phone they say the law allows them to bill in this manner. Well in va billing for services you did not receive, the last time i read the law was a felony. on a federal level it could be considered mail fraud. What are these people trying to do and above all, who are they.

• St
      May 26, 2007
    Handyman Club of America - illegal billing

I got a bill from rcmb collection agency in elmsford nj 10523 trying to tell me i owe this club membership for $24.00. I haven't been with them for over three years. I never renewed with them due to the fact they tell you one thing and you never see it like books and free things they say you'll get when you renew. I think this is vary unfair and further more i told them three years ago no on a renew letter. I have no time for this kind o bs. And want this looked into. Thank you for your time, steve j hozjan

• Ly
      Jul 03, 2007
    Handyman Club of America - received invoice and never enrolled with them

I received a dues invoice for $12 for a 12 month membership that I never said I wanted. I called 800.209.9606 and talked with Alexa. I told her I have been reading the complaints board regarding the Handyman Club. I told her to cancel my membership immediately. The invoice said a new member kit would arrive around or near 07/09/2017. I told Alexa that if I still receive a kit, I would consider it a gift. She said that was ok, that I could keep it - and I will.

Jul 03, 2007

My husband received mail from this club saying they wanted us to try them out. We do NOT subscribe to any magazines you have to pay for. I have received bills from them. I wrote cancel and sent it back to them. I got another bill from them. I called. I received another bill stating they were going to send us to collection. I called again. They said we aren't in the computer as owing or anything. They must do this to receive money from people who don't pay a lot of attention to their mail.

• Br
      Jul 21, 2007
    Handyman Club of America - collection on canceled membership!

As is typical with Handyman, aggressive membership drive & unsolicited gifts as others have testified, I too am unhappy. After canceling my membership, & not seeing membership dues notices for months I thought I was through with them. Then I get a collection notice from RMCB for $225.76!

I will appeal the collection & assure that they know that I want nothing more to do with them!

• Mi
      Oct 29, 2007
    Handyman Club Of America - Unordered items

I too was taken in at first by the Handyman Club , but soon found that was just a way to sell books that I don't want. When they sent me a renewal I never sent it back, but more came, I then sent one back with cancel my subscription on it. I thought that had taken care of it but have since recieved two more from them. I am FED UP with this so called club to no end. What does a person have to do to get this club to understand the word cancel or I do not wish to renew.

Jan 11, 2008

I joined Handyman Club of America and sent them the membership fee that they requested. But they have not kept up their end of the agreement. They were to send me tools to try. I have received NONE! What I have gotten is a paper note pad and a carpenters pencil and a measuring tape which looks like something you could buy at the Dollar Store for a buck. The real kicker is they keep sending statements wanting me to become a lifetime member, I would like to know (A Lifetime Member of what?) There is no phone number that I can find where you can actually talk to someone. They also sent me a book that I did not order, I thought it was a gift from them and weeks later got a bill for it in the mail. I went ahead and paid for the book and sent them a cancellation in writing. It was not long until another book came. Where does it stop?

Very Frustrated,

Jody
    P.S. DON"T JOIN THIS CLUB!!!!!!!!

• Ri
      Jan 25, 2008

I recieved a dues notification in the US mail. I sent a check to the Handyman club in dec.2017 for the dues.

richard e. peterson Member #[protected]
    6084 n White palm Way
    beverly hills , fl. 34465

• Je
      Feb 27, 2008

This company is such a scam... Why can't you just get the friggin magazine subscription without all their crap about membership and free things that never come. It's ridiculous.

• Sg
      Mar 07, 2008

Following a trial subscription to their magazine, they have now sent me a threatening letter indicating that if I did not pay the subscription bill, they would turn it over to a retained "nationwide licensed collection agency. "

• Sg
      Mar 07, 2008
    Handyman Club of America - threatening letter!
    P.O. Box 3451
    Minnetonka
    Phone: [protected] ext 224

Following a trial subscription to their magazine, they have now sent me a threatening letter indicating that if I did not pay the subscription bill, they would turn it over to a retained "nationwide licensed collection agency. Their magazine leaves much to be desired in the area of expertise of the handyman. At my age, I would feel very uncomfortable following their advice. It is very elementary and skims over subjects in an unprofessional manner. I certainly would not recommend this magazine to anyone that has anything more than a rudimentary knowledge of home and shop maintenance issues.

• Ea
      May 03, 2008
    Handyman Club of America - threats for non payment..
    Newark
    Delaware
    Phone: [protected]

I never subscribed to this club or any of its magazines or gifts... and don't intend to now or in the future... also do not intend to make payment on something I have not subscribed to..
    I have received a letter from Handyman Club of America P.O. Box 3526 Minnet5onka, Mn. [protected] .. stating I am delinquent in my dues for this club... as I said before I have not subscribed to this club or any of its literature now or in the future...
    I have tried to call there office on [protected] but there office hours are not on the weekend.. I will attempt another call on Monday may 5 to resolved this misunderstanding...

• Je
      Jul 10, 2008
    Handyman Club of America - billing of membership dues
    Handyman Club of America

I subscribed/joined Handyman Club of America last year (2017), thinking there might be benefits for an old do-it-yourselfer. That aspect was correct... the magazine is great The agency they selected to do their billing should be instructed in demeanor and correctness, or better-yet, replaced! I have received two very demeaning and demanding "Collection Referral Notice" mailings from HCA. The second one arriving within a week or so of the first.

I have enjoyed and used the HCA magazine. However, with further thought, I will not renew my membership again.

• Er
      Jul 14, 2008
    Handyman Club of America - never received magazine or welcome gift
    Colorado

Received a collection letter though never received a magazine, welcome gift nor was I going to take membership once they billed me since I have the ability to reverse my decision. They didn't operate like other companies that once you ignore their 1st or 2nd payment notice they understand that you've changed their mind. Why I'd be in collections for a company that seems to not exist (I can't find them on othe internet via Google search) or who wants to collect on something that was not delivered is beyond me.
    BEWARE!!

Jul 16, 2008

I need to change the address for my Handyman Magazine. The address now is Murray Hill Station P>O> Box 61281 Jacksonville, Fl. [protected] I need the magazine to be sent to my home address 8156 Devoe Street Jacksonville, Fl. 32220 Thank You, Charles Sanders

• Di
      Jul 16, 2008

After being a member for a maximum of 2 years, they think that I am a life time member. After numerous of harrassmental phone calls, they finally gave up and agreed cancell my membership, or so I thought. I did recieve a couple of free items, but like most, they are worthless. (never recieved the big items like advertized- saws, drills, ect). Now two years later, I get a call expecting me to pay the life time membership or it will go to a collection agency. After I told him to send it to my attorney, he agreed to not further the situation. Stay a way from Handyman magazines.

Aug 11, 2008

i have tried to call and i sit on the phone 30 minutes and still talk to nobody i just got something saying i didnt pay my life member dues i sent my payment the day it was offered to me i gave my debit and everything why you did not recieve it is a question to me that means my info is floating around you guys just sent me a dues extension this should have been paid in full $27.91we need to figure this out.

sincerly,
    joseph pelton

Dec 12, 2008
    Handyman Club of America - cancelled membership still receive bills
    Handyman
    Oakland
    California

I joined the club and was promised to receive some products to try and newsletters, magazines but nothing came except a bill so I called a 1-800 number and explained my problem I was reassured that I would receive what was due to me but still nothing so I called back after two months to cancel my subscription and to advise not to send me any more anything of handyman stuff. That didn`t work, to this day I still get mags and bills from them for something that I have told them that I didn`t want or need

• Ro
      Jan 27, 2009
    Handyman Club of America - Unordered items
    Robert Pound
    Tuttle
    Oklahoma

Several years ago, after receiving and purchasing a large number of this companies books, I requested they stop sending them, as I had no interest in the Handymans recipes cookbooks (they got a long way from the original cause, just to get a buck). Now a few months back, I started getting their books again, I did not change my preferences or request for these books. I did call member services and got a live person on the phone. I told the woman, I had not ordered these books and that I would not pay return shipping for something I did not ask for and had requested years ago that I not receive them. I was told a prepaid mailing label would be sent to me in 6 to 8 weeks, this should have been my warning. Now, I receive letters demanding payment, for a book I don't want and did not order, of course now all you get at the member services phone # is the old automated runaround for a while then it will hang up on you.

I have sent them an email to their 'contact us ', and have told them I will not pay for this book, I will not pay postage to return this book, and they can either send the prepaid mailing label or drive to Oklahoma and pick it up. Now I guess its a waiting period again to see what their next crooked, lying move will be.

In all fairness, this club did start off good, I have been a member since it first started, and a Life Member after the first year. But it has changed through the years, and not for the better.

• Ci
      Mar 09, 2009

Yes, this a scam and they never send you what they promise. I second that you should not join as you too will get ripped off.

• Ci
      Mar 09, 2009

Please do not join this club as you will get ripped off and harassed for life. I never received anything but the bill for dues. Should of come here first to check out Handyman Club Of America. Who knew?

Jun 04, 2009

I got a $24.00 statment from handyman for membership. I didnot sign on to handyman. What a scam.

• Da
      Jun 29, 2009
    Handyman Club of America - none receipt of membership kit
    DALE A BACHMAN
    219 west goepp st
    Bethlehem
    Pennsylvania

membership #[protected], check #1553 amount $24.00 dues, this check was mailed [protected]. i have received my first copy of your magazine but have not seen the membership kit you offered for joining the club. this kit included the following; 35 pocket bucket organizer, 4-in-1 tape measure and a 3 piece screw extractor set. this kit had a delivery date of [protected] and as of [protected] has not been delivered. was this a welcome kit or a scam??????????????please look into this matter. thanks

• Sc
      Sep 10, 2009

The Better Business Bureau will be hearing from me!

• Ji
      Aug 14, 2010
    Handyman Club of America - unsolicited mail
    Indianapolis
    Indiana

I received unsolicited mail from this company just today. The offer ($12 a year to receive tools monthly, getting to keep said tools, and only having to fill out a survey for each tool) sounded too good to be true, so of course I went online to check them out. Thank you so much for your complaints. I'll probably be keeping this mail in my files for when, like many of you, they send me collection notices for memberships or subscriptions I never authorized.

Aug 28, 2010

Couldn't agree more. I have had the same problems without any resolution, even after writing complaint letters to the club. It started out good. As a member that renewed annually for a couple of years, they were very responsive and I recieved the magazine regularly. Once they got the check for the lifetime membership, everything changed. The only thing I recieve now are unsolicited offers to buy books or join other affiliated clubs. Definately do not do the lifetime member thing.

• Th
      Oct 10, 2010

handyman requested a feedback about why i discontinued my membership, i'm a lifetime member and i did not discontinue my memnership so i'm confused about this request so please respond so we can clear this matter up.

Theodore J. Runston
    Club MBR# [protected]

PS Please E-Mail me ASAP

• Vi
      Nov 24, 2010

I am trying to cancel my membership also, but have not found a number to call. I am very displeased with them. They don't tell you up front that you have to pay for 2 yrs, plus they send books for you to pay for, or send back, don't send the free gifts offered, and you have to keep buying their books in order to receive product test merchandise. They don't tell you that up front either.

• Wa
      Jan 19, 2011
    Handyman Club of America - turn over to collection agency

[protected] I received a collection letter fron Pinnacle Financial Group for $37.98. When I called to find out what this charge was for they said it was from Handyman Club of America. I have no way to contact them as they do not give a phone number or away to contact them by email. Pinnacle Group told me this will stay on record because I refused to pay. They did not offer to help clear this thru Hannyman Club, and even if I contacted Hanyman they would not know what this charge is for since it was turn over to them.

• Rj
      Jun 18, 2011

I too, am a victim. Books that are marked up by 35%, promises for pre-paid return postage on the books that never appears, "free" gifts that never arrive, emails with great projects that do not use the correct materials (like pressure treated lumber for outside projects), and so on. I have had it also. I just sent them an email and letter demanding to cancel my membership. I have made copies of my communications. I should have known this was too good to be true, but I thought I may be able to help someone out by testing some new tools and gadgets. Bull crap. Those gadgets ONLY arrive if you become a lifetime member and continue to buy everything they send you. You should go to your local Lowes, True Value or Home Depot and buy their books and tools and attend their workshops. I strongly recommend one not join unless one just loves to waste money and has a compulsive disorder to buy too much and pay to much for things.

• La
      Aug 30, 2011
    Handyman Club of America - bait and switch
    HandyMan Club of America
    12301 Whitewater Drive
    Minnetonka
    Phone: [protected]
    Handymanclub.com

I signed up on line with the Handyman club in July 2017. Their offer was for a $12 subscription you would receive a 4-in-1 measureing tape, a 7-in-1 mutli-tool, and a precision screwdriver set, Free Issue and So Much More! I did not receive these items! I contacted them twice and was informed they would be delivered in 7 to 21 days. It is now the end of August and all I received is athe magazine and a "Tools & Techniques" book as a product test but, they charged $14.99 for the book! I contacted them today and canceled my membership, requested a refund of $12, and advised them that this practice is against the law! At this point they said I would recieve a refund of my $12 within 6 weeks and they would send a return label for the book at no cost to me. Time will tell. Their advertising is great but the items you receive for free product testing is false. DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR SCAM! DO NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY! THEIR PRACTICES ARE AGAINST THE CONSUMER FAIR TRADING ACT AND ARE BAIT AND SWITCH TACTICS!

• Al
      Jun 04, 2012

I PAID THE $24.00 AND WAS TO RECIEVE A GIFT AND A TOOL BUCKET ... I GOT A MAGAZINE AND A SCREW REMOVE KIT
    AND WAS TO GET A TOO BUCKET (NO BUCKET AS YET) PLEASE KEEP YOUR PROMISE OF THE TOOL BUCKET.

ALLEN SCHILLING
    3483 TREELINE LN
    GROVE CITY OHIO 43123...MEMBER NUMBER [protected] THANK YOU...

• Wa
      Jun 27, 2012

After telling them I did not want any more of their router bits, that the next shipment would be treated as unsolicited mail and would therefore not be paid for (I was explicit in saying I wanted no more) and would not be returned as that costs me money (again for something I was explicitly said I did not want to receive any more) I wait with baited breath to see what they do next...

• Vi
      Dec 13, 2012

May 9 of 2017 (this year) I subscribed to a membership to the Handyman Club of America and paid for a 2-year membership I got a tiny thing in the mail and after that just reminders to pay my dues!!!

I can't find a phone number, does anyone have a phone number to this club? Thanks

• Ke
      Feb 26, 2013
    Handyman Club of America - missrepresented
    Hopkins
    myhandyaccount.com

It was to be a one year magazine subscription and charged for 2 years. Please cancel the subscription and refund money for the rest of the subscription. Do not send any more books. I am returning the book that I received.
    Kenneth Smith - member #[protected]

• Ge
      Mar 12, 2013

I signed up for a life subscription and started getting all these books I just sent them back and kept writing on the bill to not send me anymore and they are still sending them to me and demanding their money. I sent them back the way they told me too, and they still keep sending them and I just keep sending them back; each time telling them to stop sending them to me. They keep on sending them it is like never ending. I am paying all this postage to send them back I am thinking about just writing on the box return to sender and that way I do not have to pay the postage.

• Da
      Apr 02, 2013

member number [protected] have never received my free gift and you have cashed my check as a member plaese chck into this matter i would hatre to cancel my membership.

• Ra
      Jan 03, 2016

I paid for a lifetime membership over 15 yrs ago and one of the benefits are : receiving a monthly magazine, but then it went to bi - monthly and I haven't received my mags since July. 2017

• Ro
      Jan 15, 2016

Not receiving magazine! Member since 2017; [protected], last subscribe date from 3/13 to 3/16. Phone numbers are unreachable and would like my back issues or refund partial $ for 2017 till now!

Jan 16, 2016

my member # 3054988 I have not moved or anything else what happened?