Hamilton Beach Toaster / fire caused by

1 Staten Island, NY, United States
Phone: 917-302-4776

Toaster did not turn off after use, and created a small fire in kitchen inside toaster necessitating NYC Fire Department to be dispatched by the ADT Security Co on 5/28/14 Wednesday night, at approximately 9:15 PM. Last person to use toaster left for work, forgot he made toast, and left for work, but toaster never turned off at all. Luck for us, we had an ADT smoke detector that detected smoke and called Fire Department. They disconnected the wire and, but out the flam with their own extinguisher, and cooled the toaster down. Kitchen cabinets and left conner of the kitchen were covered with a brown film and odor of smoke still present today even after windows were opened and fans used the greater part of night. I purchased the toaster at Costco about 1yr ago, and the past day or so I had to shut off the toaster manually. Please can you make sure this is not longer sold as it posses a real fire hazzard. I expect hamilton beach contact me re a safe replacement -cost was about 35 dollars I think. I can send photos if needed.