Groupon.com / don't give a groupon as a gift

Groupon is great for deals - for yourself. DO NOT GIVE A GROUPON AS A GIFT!!!

Giving Groupon as a gift (especailly for a "service" is like handing your money over to a used car dealer who will essentially not stand behind the value offered. The gift holder is left with a crappy experience which they can either keep to themselves if they are polite, but leaves a bad taste.

Here's the kicker - Groupon offers the persons giving the gift the option to record this in thier system. So groupon knows who the Groupon was gifted to, and how much the value was for - just keep that in mind as you read further.

So here's my story. I received the 'Groupon Gift' as a Christmas gift for a Deep Cleaning Maid Service. I was overjoyed to receive this - as I have a three year old, so my house is always in need of cleaning.

The week after Christmas I contacted the number on the Groupon to schedule my service, which the Groupon printout showed as Feb 29, 2012. I was told by the company that they were unable to schedule during the time, but would still honor it beyond that. So, I was game. I scheduled my appointment for March.

The day before the company was scheduled to perform the service, THEY called to cancel, and I was told they would call me to reschedule. Again, I was assured they would still honor the original Groupon.

A week went by, two weeks went by - and I called them. The number on the Groupon to contact had a voice mail that was full and was not able to receive messages.

So, I contacted Groupon Customer Service. I was first told by "Nate" that because it was given to me as a gift, there was nothing they could do, and there was no record of it. My only option was to go back to the person who purchased the original Groupon to contact them for a refund. Leaving me out in the cold.

I wasn't happy, so I asked to speak with a Supervisor. So, I got "Erica" who informed me that she did in fact have a record of the transaction and read it to me. Proving, they did not only have a record of the "gift" and that they knew how much it was for. I asked to have them contact the company that I only wanted the service I was originally "gifted".

"Erica" told me that it would take 2-3 days to research and she'd get back to me. Less than an hour later I received what is essentially a "Sorry for your luck" email - that my only recourse was to go back to the person who gave me the gift and ask them to call for a refund and then that person would have to re-gift something else to me.

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

If you were to receive a gift from a department store that had not only the value of the product, but also the record of the gift a store would offer the person with the defective gift an exchange - which is essentially all I wanted.

Instead in this original theory they want me to go back to the person who gave me the gift and put them at an inconvenience and thus feel badly that thier gift was for all intense purposes - defective.

So I decided to try and go another route - I posted something on Groupon's Facebook page - and was basically told the same thing.

Here's where I really get annoyed. I have worked for many, many retail businesses - in which if there is a customer that is unhappy the first lesson in Customer Service skills is offer something of equivalent value.

Apparently the Senior Management at Groupon are more interested in banking on the fact that if you give a Groupon as a gift, they keep your money, and people will be too embarassed to report back to the person who gifted the Groupon, so they keep the money, running all the way to the bank as their stock prices increase.

Now, after this experience - I am FURIOUS that the company who is on record of the service isn't being punished for not honoring the Groupon service. I am also very annoyed that the darlings at Groupon haven't figured out this piece of their business that they promote daily.

I am writing letters to the Attorney General of AL for the Consumer Protection Agency, and I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau yesterday.

But, I think before YOU decide that awesome deal at Groupon sounds like something you'd want to give your mom/sister/dad etc - Think about what will happen if this ends up being a really crappy gift.

Personally - I'm not willing to fork over my hard earned money to Groupon if this is the kind of business that isn't willing to stand behind the product they offer.

Av
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Ot
      4th of Mar, 2019

how does my daughter redeem the groupons I gifted to her via email

• Re
      15th of Aug, 2016

You can always email or do a live chat.. Its located on their website..

• Re
      15th of Aug, 2016

Stop Complaining and take responsibility for your actions. They clearly list the Terms and Conditions on their site. I saw them before purchasing the program, so why didn't anybody else?

• Ot
      15th of Aug, 2016
    Groupon.com - When you do get to speak to someone they are rude and could not care less
    groupon.com

Groupon is another company that takes your money and could not care less if you get your product or in my case not, they will not help return phone calls when you do get to speak to someone they are rude and could not care less. They want you to deal with the company in my case is Car Audio Service to resolve but they do not reply to any contact whatsoever so back to Groupon who guess what asks me to contact Car Audio Services again. THIS IS THE WORSE COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. STAY AWAY UNLESS YOU LIKE STRESS.

• Ok
    Groupon.com - Groupon sent me expired codes
    groupon.com

Groupon sent me expired codes. After calling a first time with no resolve the gentleman told me I had to call fandago to get my code, this is after being on the phone with them for over 30 minutes. So I called they told me because I bought the item from groupon, the companied I purchased the item from, I would have to call groupon back. Which is what I tried to explain to the guy, from groupon, the first time. So I call groupon back, and what about another 25 minutes just to speak to someone. When I finally gets someone on the line and explain the situation to them, he hangs up on me. Then I call a third time and this new guy is more difficult to deal with, what dont these people understand I paid for a ticket and someone else used it before I purchased it. It wasnt my fault and this wasnt as complicated as groupon made it out to be. All I wanted to do is go out and use the item I purchase. I eventually got it, after alot of hassle, and alot of my time wasted. It so was not worth it. PS offering someone a $10 coupon for messing thier order is stupid because Im never going to use it, Im never going on thier site.

• Ep
    Groupon Uk - Very unhappy with service we received
    Groupon UK

I bought this deal from Groupon: price: £29.00, amount: 1 x, savings: £67.85, total: £29.00 Date of purchase: Aug 23, 2011. Valid from Aug 24, 2011 to Dec 24, 2011. MOT and Car Clean for £29 at MK Group (£96.85 Value. We were told by Groupon that the deal was worth £96.85. However when we arrived there, We were told by this gentleman that the deal was only worth £50.00. We were very disappointed. As at 1st they didn’t clean our car from inside. When we got in the car, we noticed that it wasn’t even touched inside. However we asked at reception for the car to be cleaned inside. After a few minutes, they said its done.

We looked in the car and noticed that they only hoovered. Windows, windscreens and dash board was still dirty. We again asked at reception but the answer we got from reception was rather disappointing (the man said to us: windows, windscreens and dash board wasn’t part of the deal). We felt really embarassed and disappointed. We would like our money to be refunded. As we were very unhappy with service we received. We will not be using Groupon if this situation will not be sorted.

• Ki
    Groupon Getaway - No reservation
    Groupon Getaway

Purchased a groupon getaway and received reservation number and receipt. Showed up at hotel and they had no record of the reservation. Hotel, Plantation at Crystal River, blames Groupon and Groupon blame hotel. What a mess. End result I pay full fare for the hotel because its late and I don't have any other options. What a scam.

• Fe
      29th of Jul, 2016
    Groupon.com - For the SECOND time I bought a Groupon but was refused rudely by the merchant when I tried to use it
    groupon.com

For the SECOND time I bought a Groupon but was refused rudely by the merchant when I tried to use it. When I contacted Groupon customer service, it took a long time to finally get someone on the phone and then I was told to allow them several days to confirm with the merchant that they are not honoring their Groupons. My complaint is tri- fold: #1 a growing number of merchants are not honoring groupons that are already purchased #2 Groupon is hard to get in contact with. They encourage e-mails to which they take their time responding and there is a very long wait on their customer service number and #3 it takes WAY TOO LONG for Groupon to process refunds. Why does it take Groupon days to confirm with the merchant rudely told me in 10 seconds? I'll never buy a Groupon again.

• On

Hi Coppton,

We are really apologetic for the experience you had. We would need your Order ID and contact details at [protected]@Groupon.co.in to help you. Kindly provide us the same, so that we can escalate the issue.

Regards,
    Groupon_India

• Ti
      29th of Jul, 2016
    Groupon.com - This is my second bad experience with groupon and their communication with other companies
    groupon.com

ordered a Fujifilm FinePix F660 Digital Camera for £99.95 on the 5th Decemeber, which I still haven't received. I feel this is a result of bad service from Jessops as well as Groupon. Jessops tried to deliver on the 14th december, but Groupon hadn't provided them with my house number, so the camera was returned to the depot. Nobody contacted me, and it was only when I specifically went to visit my university house I realised it wasn't just delayed due to busy christmas postage. Jessops are sending it out now, but they've both proved fairly unreliable. This is my second bad experience with groupon and their communication with other companies. I wouldn't really recommend.

• Lu
      29th of Jul, 2016
    Groupon.co.uk - When I ordered the goods advertised for 14.99 was charged 89.99 at the checkout
    Groupon.co.uk
    groupon.co.uk

I purchased a voucher and found that when I ordered the goods advertised for 14.99 was charged 89.99 at the checkout! Unfortunately I never checked the receipt and now cannot get any response either by phone or email. Heres hoping that they contact me maybe they have a backlog of emails to get through but there is just a recorded message on the phone line saying they are not available at the moment even though I rang during their advertised opening hours.

• Ni
    Groupon Sa - Still awaiting refund since october 2013
    South Africa

I MADE A PURCHASE LATE OCTOBER BUT DID A BANK TRANSER.
    I DID NOT RECEIVED ANY INFO AND MY PRUCHASE.
    AFTER MUCH CORRESPONSE VIA EMAIL AS THEY NEVER ANSWER THEIR PHONES, ALWAY WAIT FOR OVER 20 MIUTES AND NO BODY ANSWERS.
    NOW THEY HAVE COME BACK SAYING A TRAFER WAS DONE. GAVE ME A 'SO CALLED PROOF OF PAYMENT" MY ACCOUNT NUMBER NOT ON. SO THEY SAID I MUST GIVE BANK STATEMENT, BUT NOW HAVE TO GO BACK ALL WAY TO OCT. SO GSVE THEM ALL WITH FIGURES BLANKED OUT, BUT YOU CAN SEE WHERE AND WHO TRANSACTIONS WERE DONE WITH FROM THEN TILL NOW.
    THEY ARE STILL REFUSING MY STATEMENTS AS THEY WANT TO SEE VALLUES WHICH I FEEL IS AGAINST MY CONSUMER RIGHT AND ARE STILL REFUSING TO GIVE ME A DIRECT SUPERVISOR TELEPHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL, AS YOU KEEP DEALING WITH 50 MILLION DIFFERENT PEOPLE ON THE EMAIL.

• Co
    Groupon.co.in - Horrible seller and impossible to contact him
    groupon.co.in

Be aware and better avoid the website www.groupon.co.in. I placed the order and 4 days I haven’t heard from the seller. After that he provided confirmation email with the fake tracking number. I waited 14 days, but nothing was delivered. I tried to reach the seller, but all my emails were returned back. Maybe someone has any idea how to track this seller and return money back, please contact me then or leave a comment. Thanks.

• Ko
    Groupon.com - We will never use them again
    groupon.com

Wish we read read the reviews before trying Groupon. We purchased bowling passes with no blackout days or times listed. When we arrived on a Saturday night, we found a mostly empty bowling alley that would only redeem the voucher M-F, during the day. We were a large party that would have easily spent several hundred on beer alone! Not smart for the bowling alley, which we will never go to again. Groupon refused to refund the money and we will never use them again either.

• Lo
      18th of Jun, 2014
    Groupon - Trouble redeeming & refund
    Groupon Sdn Bhd
    level 15A MENERA AMFIRST JALAN 19/3 46300 Petaling Jaya.
    Selangor
    Malaysia
    Phone: 603-79490888
    groupon.com.my

We purchase Groupon vouchers cost RM 9250 and other service fee RM3000 paid to Travel Pavillion for our Beijing 5 days trip. But after we booked ticket the Travel Pavillion (From Groupan Agent) email us said the trip have been cancel. Hence we call Groupon, as groupon promise on their website, they will refund within fourteen days for trouble redeem voucher but now they reply said only can refund until Travel Pavillion give the green light & as we know Travel Pavillion cannot been contact any more.

• Ps
      21st of Mar, 2013

Thanks for this post... I know it's an old one, but I was about to buy a Groupon as a gift and now I'm not going to bother. The OTHER really annoying thing about Groupons is that I often get treated rudely at the establishment as soon as I mention I have a Groupon. It's like the employees are exasperated with the whole process and now hate hearing that yet another person has one. Of course this isn't necessarily Groupon's fault... but it's still a negative that comes with the territory. I now only buy the ones that end up hidden from the establishment/restaurant... i.e. the ones that translate into regular gift cards, etc so that by the time I show up to the place I seem like a regular customer, and I never have to say the word "Groupon" to anyone. :)

• Gr
      17th of Jan, 2013

What you described is indeed pathetic but what is the status of your purchase recently? Did you finally get a refund? Did you contact customer care services again. I'm interested in knowing how the problem was resolved. I noticed their services has improved a notch. You should consider giving them a call.

• Ar
      14th of Jan, 2013
    Groupon.com - They don't deserve to treat people in this belittling bull$#*! way
    groupon.com

I swear to god these people are $#*!ing ###ed. I ordered 2 things from here, a Men's watch and a laptop. Not only has it been weeks since I ordered the laptop with no order update or tracking, but the watch I also ordered was delivered over 2 weeks after I purchased it and was misrouted when shipped which also delayed the process. And on top of all that, the watch was DEFECTIVE out of the box! It won't tick or turn the hands on the watch! It's supposed to be brand new too! WTF! I have sent these people 3 messages via their website and said that I'd be contacted within 24-48 hours and never have received a response. They really don't care about their customers, if anything they try to belittle them by doing stupid things such as their contact form saying your reason for contacting them as "Where does it hurt?" ... Like really? Real professional of you. It's not cute, it's gay. Really grow up. Not to mention, I still have no idea where my laptop is that I paid hundreds of dollars for. For all I know it's still being made in China or something. This company is absolutely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I won't be using their services after all this. And here's a little tip if you want to get back at them, per their "Groupon Promise" -- if you aren't "satisfied" with your deal you got with Groupon, contact them and they will give you Groupon Bucks credit on your account so you pretty much get some deals for free. This won't work on the Groupon Goods deals though. Anything for vouchers this will work on though. I've done it plenty of times because these people have pissed me off so bad. I think I even heard on the news that Groupon's stock shares and whatnot are hurting, and I hope the economy wipes them out! They don't deserve to treat people in this belittling bull$#*! way. STAY AWAY FROM THESE UNPROFESSIONAL PEOPLE!!!

• Gl
      3rd of Jan, 2013
    Groupon.com - I contacted Groupon twice now to ask for a refund since the merchant was not able to follow through on their offer
    groupon.com

I have used Groupon for couple years and had not been disappointed until now. I purchased a voucher for group couples massage class end November. I had checked the website of Stonewater Massage and read that their group classes would be offered Tuesdays, Thursdays and one Saturday a month. After purchasing the Groupon deal, I called to reserve a spot in the class only to be old that they were only offering it on Wednesday that month. I was told I would be called in couple weeks and there would be a class next month that would be on a Tuesday or Thursday. I never received a phone call. When I called back after few weeks, I was told they are only offering the class on Wednesdays which I can not make.

I contacted Groupon twice now to ask for a refund since the merchant was not able to follow through on their offer. I did not receive any response. It's been very frustrating. I've had to dispute the charge on my credit card.

• Or
      28th of Dec, 2012
    Groupon.com - I will never use this service ever again
    groupon.com

I bought a groupon for dinner for 2. When I went print it out it said I had already used it. This wouldn't have been a big deal but I planned on using it that night for my boyfriends birthday. I emailed them since their office was closed, it took them over a week to get back to me, I asked if they were gonna refund my money since I never used the groupon and I have still heard nothing. They never refunded my money or got back to me. I will never use this service ever again.