Green Dot Corporation / refund for an unauthorized transaction

1 P.O. Box 5100, Pasadena, CA, United States

I've had a GreenDot debit card for about a year and a half. A couple of months ago I called them because the statement wasn't correct. On January 3, 2019, I saw a charge of $222.66 to a Staple's store in N.J. I immediately called GreenDot, had trouble understanding the agents I spoke with but got enough info to file a dispute. I emailed one copy and sent another one by mail. When I signed into the account, it said they had received the dispute and it would take up to 7 business days to complete the initial investigation. When I hadn't heard anything by the 7th business day, I called the store in N.J. The manager advised me that their corporate office should have been contacted and he should have gotten a report for a chargeback. I used to do media requests, so I understood. He also advised me to call GreenDot again, which I did. Once more couldn't understand much of what the agent said, except that it would take 10 business days. Meanwhile, I researched everything and was ready for a fight. This situation totally stressed me out and caused a great deal of inconvenience. I carry a wallet that has RFID protection, no one has my card nor my PIN number. By the way, I live in Kentucky. Finally, on the 10th day, my card was credited but listed as "standard write-off". There was a notation that said I would receive a letter with more details. Today I got a form letter about the refund with absolutely no other details. I feel that I have the right to know what happened and why it was listed that way. The only positive thing that I can say about this card is that, with a direct deposit it shows up early and if over $1, 000 there is no bank charge. However, they are some places that will not take this card, if you make a deposit it has to be at least $20 and there is a $5 charge. At an ATM, the bank charges $3 or so plus GreenDot charges $2.50. As soon as I got this refund, I went to the ATM in the middle of the night and withdrew as much as possible. Cost $5.50 and well worth it! Then I ordered a 99 cent book from Barnes and Noble, leaving 23 cents on the card. Called them immediately and demanded that the account be closed that night. So relieved to be rid of this card! From now on my money goes into my regular bank account!

• Updated by Sharon Dru Thornsberry, Jan 22, 2019

Oh, yes, the manager at Staples advised me that the money should have been credited within 24-72 hours.

Sh