Grand Canyon University / lied about student status/lost fafsa

1 330 West Camelback RoadPhoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-877-860-3951

My name is gail yvonne christie, I was a student at GCU from 05-05-2008 through 04-30-2010 when I graduated.  GCU reported me as a half time student to Federal Government lenders, when in fact I was full-time according to GCU's very own student handbook.  This has caused me numerous troubles as it made my loans go into default.  GCU has mis-represented itself, I have spent two years trying to resolve this issue.  I need resolution immediately.  I will be call the National Omsbudman regarding this issue as well as filing an official complaint with the BBB.  I will continue making as much noise as possible and going very public with this error on the part of GCU.

There is no excuse for this. It is against the law to tell the students one enrollment status and then file a half-time status with the Federal lenders.  That is fraud and a blatant LIE.

Someone needs to step forward and handle this situation.  I will give you two hours to contact me, then I will take it to a higher authority.

I appreciate your timely response to this matter.
yvonne christie

10-14-2010

I have posted the start of my video on youtube, please check it out and feel free to post your story in the response area or upload your own video response.

I have filed a formal complaint with the BBB. Here is their information for anyone wanting to do the same:

BBB of Central, Northern & Western Arizona
(Phoenix, AZ)
4428 N. 12th Street
Phoenix, AZ [protected]
Phone: [protected]
Fax: [protected]
Email: info@arizonabbb.org
Web: http://arizonabbb.org

Here is a section of the letter from GCU financial : I wanted to inform you that I have checked with our office of financial aid and confirmed that there are two types of definitions when it comes to a student’s full or part time status. The first is our internal academics definition which is the part in which you quoted the 09-10 GCU policy handbook. Therefore, internally – we defined you as full time for taking 5+ credit hours a semester. However, through the clearing house, we follow the standard Department of Education guidelines and define a graduate student as follows: Full time - 9 credit hours+; Three-Quarter Time – 7-8 credit hours; Half time – 5-7 credit hours; less than half time – 4 or less credit hours.

Comments

• La
      31st of Mar, 2011

In 2009 I was going to attend Grand Canyon University; however, I had a change of heart and withdrew the first day of class. I was told I would have to pay apx. 500.00 for posting one day. I agreed to pay and asked to be withdrawn and the finical aid process stopped. The school did not stop the finical aid process and did not send the money back to the Department of Education. I found this out when the school attempted to file finical aid on my behalf while I was enrolled and attend another University. I have made several attempts to have the situation resolved, only to have my requests ignored, before I decide to contact the Attorney General in my State. I suggest that anyone else having Problems with this school should do the same, as, this is how the Federal Government can track, fine, and if necessary take away the schools accreditation.

• Jt
      26th of Oct, 2011

Make sure to file your complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB serving Central, Northern and Western Arizona):

26th of Mar, 2012

Shame on GCU FOR NOT CORRECTING ASAP. ITS NOT HARD TO FIX

2nd of Sep, 2012

I am going to GCU and they have lied to me about how they do things. I was told one thing by one person then told something different by another. I am suppose to remember a conversation with a certain person which we never had. I have been lied to by 2 teachers and the disability center. Now they have my financial aid and now what for me? They try to make you believe they are honest because they are a private christian university. Well they have lied to me more then once and now they have my financial aid. my e-mail is judymann79@yahoo.com