GoldCar Rental / Rent a car charges

1 Alicante, Spain Review updated:

We booked a car via the internet to be collected and returned at Malaga Airport in June 2018. The quote on the email was €148.45.
When we got to the Goldcar office in Malaga they asked if we wanted to upgrade the insurance so as to reduce the excess to zero (should we have an accident). The lady said it was €60 so we went ahead and said yes. They then said we had to pay a tax because the car was diesel and also an airport tax... so another €38 added on!
The total rental then came to €380.05!!! I was asked to sign the contract, via an electronic signature pad so never actually read the contract.

They asked what time our return flight was the following week and we said around 6.00 pm, so we presumed the return time would have been around 3.30 pm.
We actually returned the vehicle (with a full tank) at around 4.00pm so about half an hour late. Nothing was said. Then I received an email a few days later informing me that I was going to be charged an extra €59.79 as they had put 11.00am as the return time!! (Admittedly our fault for not checking ...but that was a deliberate con by putting the time over 4hrs earlier!!)
So all in all, we paid €439.84 for one week´s car rental! A bit different to the original quote of €148!
We feel totally ripped off by Goldcar. The car was great and we have no problems with the actual car rental but the way they con you to paying excessive amounts and how we were duped over the return time really angers us. It must be a company policy to try and rip off as many customers as possible as after looking into it, I see I am one of hundreds of unhappy customers!

Vi
Aug 7, 2018

Comments

• Ke
      8th of Aug, 2018

Hi ya ive just booked through these ourselves for 2nd September was qouted 170 euros so paid in full received an email today saying when i collect the car i need to leave 2000 euro on a bloked credit card. I dont have that sort of amount so left in a pickle on what to do .