Global Tel*link / Inmate phone calls not put through

My son was an inmate at the Greenville County Detention Center in Greenville, SC until 2/9/09. I set up an account with Global Tel*Link on 1/25/09 via their Advance Pay system on the Internet since the previous company (Paytel) was dropped by the jail. I paid them $34.50 and assumed everything was set.

The first time my son tried to call we were disconnected before we could speak. The following day I spoke with a Supervisor and through our conversation determined that the problem was solved and the account was active.

On February 3, 2009 I received a call from my son. On February 12th I received a letter from him saying he had been trying to call me since February 5th and the message he kept getting was "Collect calls are not permitted to this number." This should not have even been a collect call since I still had a credit of $16.34 on my account. I called GTL that day and they gave me some excuse that because the number he called on was a cell phone number and they don't guarantee calls to a cell phone might not be dropped. When I spoke to the Supervisor (Raquel) the day after I opened and paid for the account, she told me that calls to cell phones are rarely dropped and that my son could call me on our home phone too.

What is this company doing? You are at their mercy. Their customer service representatives stink! When they don't have an answer they put you on hold for 10-15 minutes to talk to a supervisor.

I hope you people will notify Mr. Jeffrey Haldinger, president of Alabama-based Global-Tel Link company to advise him of all the complaints about this company. I got his name from our local paper (The Stuart News) that had an article yesterday about collect calls coming from inmates in Port St. Lucie. Please see that the proper people are informed of this problem. Thank you

Ba

P.O Box 173875
    Denver
    Phone: 1-800-231-0193
    globaltellink.com

Global Tel*Link has been nothing but problems since day one. I have an account with them and its consistantly misplaced. I send them money via Western Union and they still seem to misplace my account. Their customer service SUCKS you can rarely get through to them when in need. I think its about time they get some technical help because it seems to me like they cant run this company with out it!!!

5th of Apr, 2009

Global Tel Link is an awful business. There company customer service is terrible, they are very rude and they do not credit ANY dropped calls I paid ten dollars for a 3 minute call to my boyfriend in Duval County, this company is an awful company to use to talk to your loved ones in jail or prison.

JaxPrincess777@aol.com
    Andria Bammer
    Jacksonville, Florida

• Wt
      26th of Nov, 2009

I have also had problems with calls being disconnected at the 3 min mark. everytime for the past few days. When I finally was able to talk with a GTL rep( after 3 attempts) first time told to hang on and got hung up on. 2nd call back phone rang twice and I missed the call(i guess as long as they attempt to call good enough for them) and the 3rd time I spoke to someone who was suprisingly friendly...BUT! said the problem wasnt GTL it was my phone provider which I called and everything was fine. or she said it could be the prison. As the person calling me if anyone else was being disconnected with the reply NO. so that leaves one problem GTL! but what can we do? I thought monopolies were illlegal? why isnt there another provider that can cause compitition? its not right! are hands are tied and we are at the mercy of this company..not talking is not a choice

3rd of Jan, 2010

My husband just tried calling me and the phone call was disconnected after the initial greeting came on. Why the hell is that? I have quite a bit of credit. I pay on time all the time. I haven't even used the credit the company gave me. I am very pissed off right now and would like an answer. This is ###. They got my money and now they disconnect my call from my husband. Thank God My V Connect is taking over. What a worthless fckn company!!! Come on ignorant NYS prison system for using Global Tel!!!

Very pissed off NEW YORKER!!!

• St
      3rd of Mar, 2010

I have been taking collect calls from my love one in RiverBend Prison. Suddenley Global Tel Link stop the calls and advise me that the only way I can get his calls now is to pre pay. I have always paid my bill on time and in full every month through my phone company. Now they state that all inmate calls will be set up on pre paid accounts only taking 19% off the top of what you send. Mimum being 25.00 and maxium 110.00. That is flat a rip off. Families are not going to stand for this.

• Na
      25th of Jul, 2010

i usesed globel tel link for the past 90 days to talk to a love one houses at the duval county detention center and on a number of occasions they called and i didn't answer the call for what ever reason and was CHARGED AS IF THE CALL WAS ANSWERED. i don't have money to give away and i think it a shame to have gone true this and not be credited, when i dont have time on the phone they don't just let me anwers as if i had money so i don't think it's fair to take MONEY IF I DON'T ANSWER IN THE FIRST PLACE...

• Ta
      18th of Oct, 2010

I just opened an account with global inmate phone services and paid 50.00 and was only able to talk one time!!! This company s a rip off they charge outrages prices.. 4.95 for service fees and 3.00 for taxes on every 25.00 you spend. They kept me on hold for 45 min waiting to talk to a supervisor. They practice unfair business laws and you are at their mercy wanting to talk to your love one. Please follow up with the better business bureau and even write Congress about their unfair business acts, The FCAA need's to know what they do to the innocent people on the outside. Horrible Horrible company God forbid you are not there to answer your call you will be charged for the call whether you talk or nor not DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE IT WILL RIPPPPPPPPPPPP YOU OFF SEND YOUR LOVE ONE MONEY ON HIS BOOKS THAT YOU WOULD GIVE GLOBAL AND HE CAN BUY A CALLIN CARD! GOD BLESS THE PERSON READING THIS AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU!