Fry's Electronics / misleading advertising and not sorry

Fry's Electronics
I bought a Sony STR-DG520 on it birthday that was advertised as having "Auto-Calibration", both on the tag and on Fry's website. I opened it up and discovered that it did not have this feature. I was furious because that was THE differentiationg feature and the main reason I picked it over the competitors. I went back to the store but they would only offer me my money back. I filed a complaint with the BBB but the manager at Fry's, Scott Shapiro, played dumb and took weeks to respond. I went back to the store and saw the tag was still incorrect and took a picture of it. After being confronted with that, Scott offered a Yamaha stereo for the "current advertised price" of the Sony, which he claimed was $199. The actual price of the Sony was $149, the price I had originally paid. Scott obviously thought I was unhappy because I hadn't spent enough money. He claimed it was a typo but store managers don't make big mistakes like that. Now, months later, their website is STILL INCORRECT and grossly misleading! I got my money back and took it to Best Buy where the salesman was honest and straightforward.

Do not shop at Fry's. They will lie to you and then try to get even more money from you.

A  31st of May, 2009 by
You're lucky you got your money back. Tonight they refused to give me my money back on a new Sharp 6100 BTU air conditioner I purchased just 8 days ago for our 28' Bayliner boat. The air conditioner was just a half inch too wide. We never even removed the AC unit from the box before my boat technician and I discovered my error. Because we live 50 miles from the Sacramento store, I couldn't get back any sooner, and thought I had 30 days. The first line in the Fry's return policy states 30 days, but when I tried to return it, they showed me, much farther down, they have a "get out of jail free" clause for window air conditioners that had them offering me a compromise of only a gift card. Like you, I do not want to ever buy another Fry's Electronics product again, since they do not understand how to treat customers. In the current Depression when no company is immune to major turn downs, it would be a real hoot to see this company go belly up. What goes around eventually comes around back to these type of companies. I hope to live to see them croak and enjoy the largest party in America from the millions of people they will have screwed out of billions of dollars. I urge everyone to write the attorney general of your state with your customer complaints and your legislators to create new laws, if necessary, to throttle back Fry's Electronics outrageous return policies and way of treating customers. Having been a former newspaper publisher in Morgan Hill, where billionaire John Fry lives, I recall how he built the largest golf course in America on his private property there without any permits. This type of arrogance seems to be filtering down through the ranks. Perhaps their personnel gets big Arrogance Bonuses!
-Gene Beley, Stockton, CA