Frontier Airlines / Extra travel insurance

1 Denver, CO, United States Review updated:

As of July 2008, If you book a flight on line with Frontier Airlines there is a box marked "yes for extra travel insurance through AIG, which you will be charged for. You have to un check it or you are charged for this after you book you flights. I think it is a big SCAM. I called both AIG they could tell me anything about what the insurance covered and frontier told me what is written in on the site. After many calls and e-mails all I got was the extra insurance covers up to $500.00 per person NOT per bag for lost luggage, that doesn't even cover the cost on one bag itself. If a flight is cancaled the insurance covers up to $100.00 a day for food and hotel. When I asked if the plane is broke and not fling who covers lodging, no one from either place could or would give me an answer. All I can say is the standard policys are very vage, But to be charged for an extra insurance that does nothing for a traveler and is automatically mark "yes" for a customer is a big SCAM for money for both Frontier and AIG. Try calling and asking what the plan does for a traveler?? it is a joke!!!

To

Comments

17th of Aug, 2008

I have been a long time customer of Frontier, traveling to Denver on business at least once a month. Tonight, making a reservation online as I have done many, many times, I neglected to see the "Uncheck the box if you don't want the insurance" item which is new on Frontier's website. When I got my email flight confirmation I found I had inadvertently paid for the AIG policy which I did not want.

This is the worst type of website/customer interaction where you are automatically charged for something without realizing it, UNLESS you tell them you don't want it. Is it a scam, an easy way to raise revenue or just terrible customer relations? Whatever it is it has lowered my opinion of Frontier. Someone in their management has made a bad decision which can only hurt them in the long run. Offer the insurance if you wish but don't make the customer pay for it automatically unless they "catch" the little check mark and undo it.

Try again Frontier.

28th of Aug, 2008

I was just charged for insurance I didn't want and didn't ask for. This practice of Frontier Airlines is sleasy and dishonest. Why would they structure their website so that you must uncheck the box if you don't want their insurance? The only clear answer is that they are trying to trick people into buying something they are unaware of. Otherwise they would structure it so that (like any normal purchase) you have to select the thing you want to buy. And, to add insult to injury, they make you go through a series of steps to get a refund, (which I have not yet received.)

This is an unethical, dishonest and unfair business practice. I'm an attorney, and in my legal opinion what they are doing constitutes an actionable business practice. If any people are forming a class to bring legal action against Frontier Airlines and AIG, please notify me as I would like to join this class.

In any event, I will never fly Frontier again, nor purchase any AIG product. This type of greedy, dishonest business practice is simply abhorrent. I have no respect for either company.

Shame on you Frontier.

• Da
      10th of Nov, 2008

I purchased a ticket on Frontier Airlines yesterday. Today I get an email thanking me for purchasing Travelguard Insurance. I call Travelguard and said I never purchased the insurance and wanted a refund. They said I should have opted out so I wouldn't purchase the insurance. I was livid! They said I needed to call Frontier to get a refund. I called Frontier and they told me I had to call Travelguard. This is close to a criminal activity and the FAA or US Government needs to investigate them. I will NEVER fly Frontier again and will pass my experience on to as many others as possible. I plan to dispute the charge on my credit card. I also told them I wanted to cancel the flight because of their underhanded tactics and they told me I would be assessed a cancelation fee. Frontier is the ### of the airline industry!!!

• Bl
      19th of Jul, 2011

Yes it IS a scam. Total rip off. Today I had a flight booked from Richmond to Detroit, then Detroit to Milwaukee on Delta, where I was to catch a short flight on Frontier into Manistee (where my car is). I did not want to do it this way but saw it as the only way. I bought their worthless travel insurance in case there was a problem. Well guess what!!! There was a problem!! Delta cancelled my flight out of Detroit due to a mechanical problem and could not get me out until too late for the flight on Frontier. I called Frontier and had to pay $198 in change fees and "increased fares". I asked about this worthless insurance and she told me to call AFTER I paid her to file a claim. I talked to TWO ### agents who both told me the insurance doesn't cover this. It only covers issues due to Frontier or weather related. What BS!!! Wouldn't they cover that anyway if it was their fault or the weather cancelled a flight??? I've had that happen numerous times on other airlines and was rebooked for free. In fact, Delta rebooked me for free and put me up in a nice hotel tonight. I demanded then at the very least they refund the insurance fee. I had to email my request which I did. I got a reply saying since i didn't file my request for cancellation within 15 days of my flight and was requesting this on the effective day it was too late!! Again what total BS!! how would someone know their insurance was worthless until they actually try to use it????? Also my flight hasn't happened yet anyway - it was tonight. Do not purchase this insurance. It is a scam and they will take your money and not give you crap for it. While you're at it - don't fly Frontier. Their agents are rude. Their fares are misleading too. They kept advertising this $39 fare from Manistee to Milwaukee but when you would try to book a flight it was always more than twice that.