Ford Taurus, 2002 / Front coil spring failure

Like Sean, Malcolm and the others, I too, own a 2002 Ford Taurus and also had front coil spring failure, requiring replacement of both springs, a tire and sway bar links. I approached FORD about the recall covering [protected] Taurus and Sable models, and FORD informed me the recall was not applicable to my car. Its time for FORD to acknowlegde the problem has not been corrected and extend their recall to later model years.

A  4th of Sep, 2006 by
My father-in-law's 2002 Mercury Sable just had the rear left coil spring fail, cutting into the sidewall of the tire. Ford/Mercury has a major issue here. My wife's 2000 Ford Focus had the same issue on the front left. Ford's resolution was to extend (not recall) the warranty on the Focus' springs.
A  16th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
FORD needs to stand up and take care of its consumers! Our Ford Taurus (2002) missed the recall date by 2 weeks! We are looking at $500 worth of repairs which we cannot afford at this time.
A  23rd of Feb, 2009 by
This past weekend I sent my 2002 Ford Taurus for normal mainentence to a local dealer. Before I could sit down and eat my breakfast I received a call from Ford Service indicating that I had a front and back spring broken. After reading these complaints I am appauled that Ford will not stand by their product. After spending more then $700.00 to replace the springs I have decided to not to stand by the Ford product. With these economic times you would think that Ford would go the extra mile to keep their customer. Sorry Ford I changed my mind I will go foreign.
A  3rd of May, 2009 by
For the second time in less than two years, I've had a coil spring (one front, one back) break on my 2002 Mercury Sable. I'm thinking it's no coincidence that the 2000 and 2001 were recalls for these parts. I'll never buy Ford/Mercury again.
A  11th of Jun, 2009 by
I just had my second coil spring break on by 02 Ford Taurus in the past 2 months. One front, one rear. The first one carved a groove in my otherwise decent tire. The second one punctured my tire. The first one cost $1148. The second should cost about the same. I am not happy.
N  23rd of Jun, 2009 by
We purchased a 2002 Ford Taurus with 65, 000 miles on it. Yesterday the front driver spring snapped and punctured the tire while my 16 year daughter was driving. It had to be towed to our mechanic and he replaced both front coils. I did complain to the Ford Company and also a formal complaint to NHTSA. If everyone would call NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 they are looking into a recall, the more complaints the better!!! This is why I purchased a new Nissan.
A  2nd of Jul, 2009 by
The front spring coil on my Mercury 2002 Sable just broke yesterday!! It also punctured my front tire which was in pretty good shape beforehand. I'm definitely calling up the NHTSA number to complain. This is ridiculous!!! The same problem has happened to all these cars, why won't they extend the warranty to cover this year model car? My dad is figuring to replace both front coils because we plan on keeping this car for a while. This is the last time I buy a Ford!!!
A  9th of Aug, 2009 by
I too own a 02 Taurus with 75000 miles, my springs haven't broken yet but I'm starting to hear noises from the front and back. I'm so tired of the so called big 3 manufacturing crap!!! I hear everywhere buy American but I'm sick of the junk we produce. I'll have to shop around for my next car to make sure none of it was made here!!! Perhaps a KIA!!!
A  6th of Jan, 2010 by
January 6, 2010

The week before Christmas, I got into my 2002 Ford Taurus and heard a noise under my car that sounded like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. As I drove (slowly), I could hear a rubbing sound. I got out and looked and my passenger back tire was leaning in. I called road service (and waited seven hours in the cold) and the tow trick driver told me that I had a broken spring. It was towed to my regular repair shop. I had to replace both rear springs and both struts - $750.00. Well, two days ago, I went to back out of my daughter's garage and I heard an awful screeching noise from my front end. I drove back in and found I had a flat passenger front tire, and there was a piece of coil lying on the garage floor. It had broken and punctured a hole in the back side wall of the tire. It is currently in the shop and will need both front springs done, with struts, and front end allignment and a new tire. Probably another $750.00 or more. I am going to drive this car only until Spring and I will be trading it for, probably, a Toyota. I believe in buying American, but this is why The Big Three are tanking. They don't stand by you when there is an obvious problem. I just praise God that I was where I could get help both times and not on the highway at high speed.
N  15th of Apr, 2011 by
I have replaced both front and rear coil springs and struts on my 2002 Taurus. It's little wonder that people are moving away from US built cars, there are so many things like this affecting US cars, and the manufacturers are unwilling to make it right. I will return to buying imports after my experinces with two domestic cars.
A  29th of Apr, 2011 by
Front right coil spring on our 2002 Mercury Sable did just as others on this board are complaining about. went to pull out of the parking space and the front tire went completely flat. After pulling forward and back to get away from the curb to get a jack under to change what we thought was a flat, the spring had torn through half the tire. We'll see the damage ($$$) tomorrow. I plan on calling the numbers listed. Thanks.
N  24th of May, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We own a 2003 Ford Taurus & just gave a 2002 Mercury Sable to my daughter. Her front coil spring broke, tearing up the sidewall of the tire. As close as we can tell, she is looking at $500.00 in repairs, which as a college student, she CAN NOT afford. This is the second major problem this car has had, the first being the transaxle going out of it 3 or 4 years ago. (AX4N). The same transaxle was in the 03 Taurus, & it too needed replaced. We, as a country, need to sue Ford in a class action lawsuit to get them to STOP putting unsafe junk on the road!!
A  5th of Jun, 2011 by
The same thing just happened to my 2002 Ford Taurus. Front left coil spring broke and cut the sidewall of the tire. Had to replace coil, struts, and links. (Both sides to be cautious about it). Didn't realize the extent of the damage when I put on the spare and took it to the tire shop. Now they have it and want > $1000.
N  7th of Feb, 2012 by
Just another confirmation that there is something defective in the '02 Taurus coil springs. My wife was driving down the street when all of a sudden there were plumes of smoke caused by a broken spring cutting into the tire. Tire then exploded. I wrote Ford and was told "sorry...your warranty has expired".
A  29th of Aug, 2012 by
Just happened with my 2002 T
aurus - 70000 mile. In the front. Sorry to see no recall. Sounds like I should get all 4 replaces - or at the very least both in the front.
Still waiting for the shop to call.
Any updates on the recall.
N  8th of Nov, 2012 by
Replacing my 2nd front end spring in 5 yrs. both times it took my fairly new tires with them.2002 Ford Taurus. Definitely a 2001 safety issue that was never resolved. I read Fords recall fix was just to add a plate to keep spring from puncturing tire not fixing the actual spring.
A  24th of Mar, 2013 by
Well i will add my two cents. I just got new tires at Belle tire in Michigan on my wife's 2001 Taurus wagon. Planning to get an alignment they checked the front end out and low and behold found the front passenger spring broke. They wanted 713 dollars to change the struts and springs. I do my own work, but what BS. I work at Fords and this is the first Ford i have bought since 1995 when i had a junk Escort. Now i bought a used junk Taurus. I drive a 2008 grand caravan myself because i feel fords won't take care of ANYBODY. Not even their own employees complaints. So don't feel bad. I will probably get rid of this nightmare shortly and buy a used Chrysler for my wife next. Thanks for nothing Fords.
N  31st of May, 2013 by
I have a 2003 Ford Tuarus . The front passenger side coil spring broke and shredded my brand new tire which was just installed a few hours earlier! I had to purchased another new tire as well as to spend over a thousand dollars more to repair the damage! Never buy another Ford

Ford Motor Company Logo Ford Motor Company