Florida Power & Light / deposit of $500 required

Oakland Park, FL, United States
Phone: 9546506186
I strongly agree with all of the complaints on this site. I have been an FPL customer for 20 years. I have been late a few times, but never have I been shut off. Yesterday I received a bill from FPL for a deposit for almost $500 because of two late payments in the past I believe six months. I called and asked to spread the payments over a longer amount of time and they said no. I asked about an extension to pay and they said possibly but it would only be for a few days. My husband hasn't worked since May of 2007 due to health reasons and also just not being able to find any kind of work. I have a full time job and I don't even make enough money to pay for our mortage, utilities, gas for the car, groceries, medications, etc. We have not been able to pay our mortgage since April of 2008. We never have any money left over and often have very little in the refrigerator and cupboards. I find myself gathering any change we have around the house to buy food. We have begun to sell things on ebay and are trying to sell other larger items but no one has any money to buy anything. I asked the FPL rep how could they expect someone who can't pay their electric bill to come up with ANOTHER $500 in four weeks. She said I don't know. I asked about speaking to a supervisor and she said there was nothing anyone else could do for me. I am current on my bill now but I have a payment due of $256 on November 18. Then they are asking for this deposit of almost $500 due on December 4. I just don't know where to turn. I called one of their agencies for "help" but they say they have no more money to give anyone help, not to mention I am not at "poverty" level so they couldn't help me anyway. I have been borrowing money from family members, but they too are all tapped out. FPL has a monopoly on the electricity in our area, and until there is some competition, they can just do whatever they want. There must be something we can do - a classs action lawsuit perhaps. Please Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Ca