First Gulf Bank / credit limit decrease

1 United Arab Emirates Review updated:

To make a long story short, I one day found out that my credit card account had gone down to just about -8000 (That's negative eight thousand). My credit limit had apparently been reduced.

The reason? I wouldn't know — because I was never informed.

To make matters worse, the bank had been asking me to pay the minimum amount due, calculated against the total outstanding balance which had accrued finance charges.

It's like all of a sudden the bank decides to cut off my purchasing ability and make me pay the outstanding amount off.

If that was the way I would've wanted it to be, I should have gotten a personal loan instead!

Have you ever heard of a credit card which you cannot use for credit? The card now is completely useless.

I understand there's a recession and all, (And this bank is probably going bankrupt.. Oh haha, funny!) but this is just insane.

I'm sure somewhere within the annals of this country's law books, this can be characterized as illegal.

Comments

• Co
      11th of Jun, 2009

THIS BANK IS TRULY A SCAM... HOW CAN THEY HARASS CLIENTS... I'M A GOOD PAYER BUT BECAUSE I LOST MY JOB THEY HARASSED ME...

Me & my friends have encountered the same problem with this bank... and when I was lay off from my job I informed them immediately so that I can use my Credit Sheild since Im paying 130-145 AED every month take note they told me that it's impossible and so many other excuses they were telling me... well to make the story short they keep on calling me to pay my dues, harassing me & recently I found out that they deposit to my account the security cheque which I gave them to claim the full amount I owe from them. I don't know what to do at the moment. Can anyone advise me???

• Mi
      16th of Jul, 2009

FIRST GULF BANK is ... AGGGGGHHH!!!
    my hubby lost his job, he has a cc on FGB, when he lost his job he immediately informed the bank to claim for insurance as we were paying for credit shield insurance, but unfortunately this bank rejected our application, they deposited the security cheque & now my hubby has a travel ban.. hows that??? FIRST GULF BANK is totally &^%%#$%$^$%&^%&^ !!!

• Zh
      13th of Sep, 2009

Fgb collection department called me that my credit sheild ha been approved. They ask me to pay some amount and gave me form like Easy buys plan when im not asking for this. I am asking for CC waiver form .When I ask him to discuss with me the terms and condition they said this form will be use by the insurance to pay the bank in installment plan so I did not ask for more about that. Another thing I ask, the money which they collect me 600 aed they said its payment for form and in closing my file. They also gave me instruction to exit the country because this is the insurance what they ask for to waive my outstanding balance. So I book a ticket but i did cancel it because till the last minute my doubt still there so I call the customer service to inquire this easy buy plan exactly same I understand it was an installment plan on my side. My gosh!!! what I am thinking now they ask me to sign the installment plan and they ask me to exit so what is waiting for me in the immigration . Police will be there to catch me and that situation they assume I can find a way in paying all my outstanding balance . Obviously they want to trap me and that so scarry why they have to do this things just to collect money in cheating its very bad.
    I have a credit sheild which I am fighting for. I am paying this for three years. What will they do to the money I paid, it will only go for nothing. Please say your comments I need your opinion

• We
      3rd of Jan, 2010

First Gulf Bank is truly the worst bank not only in terms of banking but also as an organization which is a very UNFAIR EMPLOYER!!!
    This is especially true about the department Corporate Communications and until it has the RUDE, RACIST, IMMORAL, IGNORANT woman who thinks that she knows the world better as the head of that department, it will continue to remain in this present PATHETIC state!

• Rr
      4th of Mar, 2010

hi all

I have been receiving calls at my landline no. from a repreesentative who addresses herself as HEMA JOSHI her mail id h_d910@rediffmail.comclaims that she is calling on behalf of First Gulf bank from a Mumbai based agency on asking the details she bluntly replies that we do not give address to any third party...the irony is that she ends up calling on the very same no. The calls are with such impunity that she does not bother calling apprx 70-to 80 times in three days the calls are attended by my mother who is an senior citizen who is not comfortable on the phone yet this creep keeps on calling even though the said holder of the cared is not available, she has a sadistic approach which is a very dangerous trend i dont think the agency or the bank is aware of such a immune behaviour of this lady. I personally feel that she is nither sincere towards her employer or her profession. She even sings lewd songs on the phone. I personally deem that she has strong criminal tendencies or that she needs a psychiatric evaluation . I have no malice against the agency or the bank which i would like to to reiterate. i am already in persual of this caller with the respective bank and the governing bodies and other authorised agency if any of the agency supervisor goes thru this plz let me know.

• Of
      15th of Mar, 2010

hi, good day to everyone..please give me an advise.
    i have a FGB credit card. i left dubai on sept 2008 and got another job in other country, i was paying my monthly dues until sept 2009, since i lost my job..now im home in my own country. And just this date i received a message from a local law firm (law firm from our country) giving me a warning..that i should pay my outstanding balance in FGB or else they will file a civil case against me..i probably got imprisoned they said.
    Please give me some advice what's the best thing to do.
    Thanks in advance.
    Godbless us all.

• Kn
      1st of Sep, 2010

I agree with you guys. these people are animals in disguise harrassing customers. even their call center is full of crap.

• Ha
      24th of Nov, 2010

Hi
    Well all i will say about FGB is that - i think the Bank is pour and the Managers are struggling to pay their own salaries at the expense of its customers. During the recession time that is the time where everyone come to see the true colours of the banks. Most banks yes, they called people, but FGB went the extra mile, reducing by half or even lower the credit limit, and then assisging customers with "easy installment plans" which actually increased your available credit (interest of the plan), and if you failed to pay one installment they will fine you your previous outstanding + their interest + monthly installments which accumulate more interest. Well there is nothing we the client can do but to take all the crap they throw at us. One thing i am sure they have really lost a good market of potential clients. I dont know really what they will do to me but i can only pray to God to give us the strength to clear with this demon.

• Na
      17th of Jan, 2011

I agree they are the worst bank ever. I have taken a loan of 50, 000 in the year 2006 and paid all dues and above and yet they demanded 25, 000 dhs as late payment fees. With a heavy heart am wondering how am going to pay this back to them moreover knowing that what am doing is wrong. The staffs ar the crulest of the lot. I guess they get their traning to be cruel. You miss a payment and you pay a late payment of Dhs 1000 that's what has happened in my case. Can someone tell me the cheapest way to sort this problem.

2nd of Jun, 2011

Hi everyone, me too have this FGB credit card, last august 2010 i have resigned from my company because they cut my salary in half due to recession. I have -6000 dirhams credit due by that time and FGB always harrassing me to pay the interest or just pay 12000 dirhams in full to cover and to close my account. I dont have that amount by that time so after when my company process my visa cancellation, i get out of the country immediately without informing the bank. last april 2011, i entered my etisalat sim card to my mobile and dudz i've got a message from FGB that my current due amount to pay in full is 10 th. dirhams (only interest).:), but now my question is, do i need to inform the bank that i am no longer in Dubai?
    Now I have a job offer in Saudi Arabia, what troubles will i face in immigration?

• Lo
      30th of Nov, 2011

@Saddam i guess they have filed case already but they can't claim the money from insurance until you have been convicted in court and jailed so they will try everything they can to find you and try other ways of ruining your life until you pay up. They know your out of the country because once they file a police complaint, the police will enter you on the ban list and they will be informed by immigration that you have left the country so no need to inform them, they are now trying to track you down. This message maybe a way to get you to contact them, don't trust this bank believe me they will bring you to your knees for money.

• Ge
      5th of Jan, 2019
    First Gulf Bank [FGB] - International money transfer

Hi all i have big issue i transfer amount from my bank in Egypt to my bank Dib here in Dubai throw FAb the amount since long time still the amount not reflect